Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think i just had a natural interest in reptiles since i was a little boy. I use to catch blue tongues and skinks and all different types of reptiles. So when i was old enough i got my first coastal carpet python which was 6ft and i got my first ever python bite from a 6ft CCP. I have been hooked since.

Cameron

i was always into animals but above all snakes and i always wanted to be like steve irwin so one day my mum actually let me get a little spotted wich isnt growing much and the 8 months ago i got a little olive

For me it was when I went to visit a relative in Adelaide who had a huge collection and he took me out herping and we found qite a few knob tails and from then I was always catching skiks etc and still when very young got some turtles and axolotyls in a small pond in the backyard in Melbourne ,then we moved to Nth Qld and I came home with carpets constantly keeping them for a while then letting them go,I even tried feeding the first carpet I caught an egg from the fridge lol and then at a school near Rockhampton in Biology everyday I sat in the back corner right next to a normal and an albino BHP as well as a small coastal carpet which I got to feed when they needed feeding as most others were too scared to go anywhere near them.We ad a huge supply of lab rats which we used for many other things also other than just food for the snakes,from there I left school and didn't get right into keeping more than a couple of carpets till about 10 years or so again but always had a pet carpet and can't remeber a time I didn't as well as the odd mac here and there which are very common ere also!!!

If kids these days got off their butts and went down the local creek catching skinks etc instead of playing xbox etc non stop they would probably not be as overweight as the average kid is these days and would now have a hobby keeping herps or birds or whatever else they found interesting while outside playing down the local creeks etc!!!

..when i had my pics taken with a burmese python on my shoulders at Singapore Zoo..!

WOW.Getting to sit next to a albino bhp in school right here in Aus,and a few years ago by the sounds of it.And to think an animal that rare and worth so much money lived in a school in Qld.I demand all schools hand over albino's immediatly to me lol.

If kids these days got off their butts and went down the local creek catching skinks etc instead of playing xbox etc non stop they would probably not be as overweight as the average kid is these days and would now have a hobby keeping herps or birds or whatever else they found interesting while outside playing down the local creeks etc!!! ..........TO TRUE.... alot of my relo's kids are like that baby sat by the Xbox.. my kids are almost all adults now and as young ones ,they were never inside, it was murder on a wet day ,cause they wanted out... we travelled around aussie in a bus ,they got the best education with Aussie wildlife , they got to catch and observe many native reptiles ,mammals etc and loved the experience 3 years we were on the road ,and still to this day fortunatly they are not into sitting on their butts ,with a stupid playstation or Xbox addiction,not to say we dont own one nor to say its not ever played it is by our youngest boy ,but he hits it for a couple of hours a week and gets sick of it ,,would rather be out riding his motorbike in the forestry ,breaking his collarbone doing jumps ARRGH ..and my oldest son comes on call outs with me , my 2 girls love the out doors and love fishing so you need to start early introduce your kids to the great out doors and playstations are for wet rainy cold blowy days only :)............oh I got into snakes as a kid after keeping lizards and turtles , my uncle caught a RBBS and put it in a huge coffee jar ,I loved it and wish'd it alive so many times ,had it for years but taking it out and wearing it around my wrist so many times ,it started to fall apart and mum threw it out ,besides the fact she hated me smelling like metho...:)

Yep I sat next to an albino BHP but it was quite a long time ago like over 20 years ago not just a few years ago and it was a fully grown adult and actually blind in with a regular adult bhp and were seperated at feeding time.The albino had no probs finding it's food and was all white no yellow bands from what I recall and I did ring the school a few years ago now after I got right into keeping herps and actually realised the significance of the albino bhp which was most likely the only one around in captivity anyway but when I spoke to the schoool they said they knew nothing about it and it had just mysteriously dissapeared,funny that lol I've told the story before which then got backed up by photos etc by another member here on the site and things turned out getting quite heated as per usual.Anyway it's funny now that overseas albino bhp's just happened to be bred from a chance breeding of het to het that apparently nothing was known about and was a spontaneous breeding out of the blue so to speak LOL Funny how overseas gets all the wierd and unusual morphs of our native animals huh?

Yes it's a shame kids prefer the xbox etc rather than being out and about .In my day we were never home and then if we were it was only for tea time etc then trying to go back out again however things seem to have changed and it's just not as easy going these days,not as safe as it used to be,we don't even drink water from the hose or tap anymore preferring tobuy it which still seems so wierd to me that we actually pay for bottled water supposedly from some natural spring or wherever lol The computer age hit and kids just don't do what we used to do when we were kids ending up overweight,depressed with no interest in any hobbies etc and many turn to things like drugs and alchohol getting into trouble as they have nothing better to do,if only they had gone chasing lizards and got out and about they wouldn't end up obese or in trouble.These days there seems to be a medical diagnosis for everything like add etc and not saying some do however bacck when I was younger things like add etc was called lazy etc,simple fact is society is changing and so are the up coming generations who grew up with computers at school etc but all we had at school were the very first apple mac computers where you learned to programme where a dot goes on the screen lol a shame really,the more young ones getting into herps or any hobbies that they enjoy and keep them occupied the better for everyone , just my thoughts!!!

Also when I first kept snakes there were no licenses or I knew nothing about them which is how many others also started out!!!

If kids these days got off their butts and went down the local creek catching skinks etc instead of playing xbox etc non stop they would probably not be as overweight as the average kid is these days and would now have a hobby keeping herps or birds or whatever else they found interesting while outside playing down the local creeks etc!!! ..........TO TRUE.... alot of my relo's kids are like that baby sat by the Xbox.. my kids are almost all adults now and as young ones ,they were never inside, it was murder on a wet day ,cause they wanted out... we travelled around aussie in a bus ,they got the best education with Aussie wildlife , they got to catch and observe many native reptiles ,mammals etc and loved the experience 3 years we were on the road ,and still to this day fortunatly they are not into sitting on their butts ,with a stupid playstation or Xbox addiction,not to say we dont own one nor to say its not ever played it is by our youngest boy ,but he hits it for a couple of hours a week and gets sick of it ,,would rather be out riding his motorbike in the forestry ,breaking his collarbone doing jumps ARRGH ..and my oldest son comes on call outs with me , my 2 girls love the out doors and love fishing so you need to start early introduce your kids to the great out doors and playstations are for wet rainy cold blowy days only :)............oh I got into snakes as a kid after keeping lizards and turtles , my uncle caught a RBBS and put it in a huge coffee jar ,I loved it and wish'd it alive so many times ,had it for years but taking it out and wearing it around my wrist so many times ,it started to fall apart and mum threw it out ,besides the fact she hated me smelling like metho...:)

I must be one of the rare ones redbellybite...I prefer going fishing with dad, and before they cemented it, I'd go down to this creek and catch yabbies...now I beg dad every day to let me come to work with him, because he often see's vens, monitors,pythons and spiders out bush...has yet to give in :lol:

for me it was about 3 years ago, ive always loved animals but i really started to appreciate reptiles about 3 years ago when a mate of mine bought a spotted mac (that he still has) i studies snakes and other reptiles after that and about 3 months ago i bought my first snake (childrens python) and im corrently looking at expanding my collection... as to be expected :p

im also a member od WIRES so i deal with all sorts of reptiles on a semi regular basis

truth be told, my bros friend was into frogs, and when me bro got into em, i tagged along, and with frogs comes reptiles...so yalla. thats just the way it is....things will never be the same.

Lets see i have always likes animals but it wasnt until my best friend caught two baby blue tongues next to their dead mother that i liked them. I took them off my friend nurtured them and then put them back and this is how i came to love them

cheers Scott

mine was when i came across a Tiger Snake on Maloy Island just of the tip of WA i was racing my brother on these old bikes when suddenly i rode over a Tiger Snake man i was faschinated but scared at the same time, then later on ive been to Augusta alot and found lots of King Skinks and monitors. My last account was a dugite in my yard it launched at me and Chris (Dougie210) that was about 2years ago!!! Have got a snake in our shed ATM but to scared to go get it!!!

always have liked them but "A Clockwork Orange" set it off for me. I called my first snake Basil too

I saw the occasional diamond in the wild 30+ yrs ago and caught various lizards and snakes. All this time later I have my first 'full-time' snakes, a pair of bredli and will get a pair of diamond hatchlings next year. I don't know why it look me so long to recognise my first love (apologise to my wife and children).

firstly i found some skinks from there i got into lizards at an early age and have now moved onto snakes.

yer shane, i caught kings skinks on rottnest island when our family went to WA. they are pretty kool.
they bite pretty hard too! still got scares from them! lol

My Name is Jodo and its been 1 week since my last Hit.

It all started when I was just chillin at a mates place and he offered me some MD and I really liked it.
The addiction had already started!...it grew and I needed another hit ...so I found a local dealer and scored a small hit of Prossie ...Its was GOOD !
But the addiction grew and soon I wanted to try somethin different so I did a line of Bredli....Cool !
I thought I could control it ....But NO!... I needed more !!!..... so I sourced a little MD for myself and I LOVE IT !!!
I am trying the "Cut Down And Stop" method so I am on Beardies now and doing O.K. But the addiction is still there and I fight it every day.

Thanks for listening.:?

Grew up on a farm so i basically lived with them... complete fascination with them my whole life, and maybe because one chased my grandma into the house which was hilarious...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back