Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
....Personally, I think a booklet being provided upon buying your first reptile (or a new species) is a brilliant idea. Time and effort is obviously a factor. I might consider doing something like this with hatchies I move on in the future.
That is good to hear.

While I have long suggested the use of Weigel's book for beginners, the idea of providing an appropriate species specific booklet comes from a well respected source I visited in the south of WA. I still believe it wold be of advantage to all beginners to read through Weigel's book, as it provides an overview to the hobby that is second to none and makes very clear the basics of keeping. An excellent stepping stone to launch one into species specific care, in my opinion.

Blue

I think when applying for your reptile licence you should pass some sort of theory test about types of snakes, basic health, feeding & quarantine and then something about setting up enclosures and also get bitten by a snake.
so many people buy snakes and get bitten and dont want it anymore.
As it comes with the territory of being a snake owner ITS GOING TO HAPPEN one day or another so may as well kbow what your in for. :D

I like the idea of a theory test cathy - WA changed their application process a while back that incorporated the requirement for a reference to acquire your licence. But as I understand it, any friend can write a reference and it's more of a character reference than anything else.

I know when I bought my first python I was not fully expecting some of the health problems that I encountered within the first 12 months, and these were not covered in my python care books.

I like the idea of a theory test cathy - WA changed their application process a while back that incorporated the requirement for a reference to acquire your licence. But as I understand it, any friend can write a reference and it's more of a character reference than anything else.

I know when I bought my first python I was not fully expecting some of the health problems that I encountered within the first 12 months, and these were not covered in my python care books.
What sort of problems did you have?

I think when applying for your reptile licence you should pass some sort of theory test about types of snakes, basic health, feeding & quarantine and then something about setting up enclosures and also get bitten by a snake.
As it comes with the territory of being a snake owner ITS GOING TO HAPPEN one day or another so may as well kbow what your in for. :D

I think that's a great idea, if they had online applications with a quiz before you can apply maybe.

To be honest, as a youngster I mistakenly assumed that there was such a test, just like for other 'licences'!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My male python was cooling itself and would lay on top of the hide (heated below from a heat mat) and his tongue began to not fully retreat into his mouth and I was concerned as I did not know what could cause this. I was told to put him on forced heat and it fixed itself. I did a lot of research at the beginning and had never heard of a cold python showing this type of behaviour, and I must admit I haven't read it since.

That is the only issue I remember experiencing that I could not find an answer for by researching.

The other one that I had was a hydration issue... I provided a humidity box for my female python as she had problems shedding her skin in the past, and she took to it with great enthusiasm...but would not leave the box. I requested advice on whether I should remove her from the box and take it out, but was told that she would remove herself when she needed to. I can't remember how long she was in there, but I got worried and removed her myself and her eyes had completely swollen out from her head with the excess water retention. There wasn't a lot I could do, and time fixed the issue - her eyes were back to normal the following morning. It was a cause for concern though as a new reptile keeper.

I think that's a great idea, if they had online applications with a quiz before you can apply maybe.

To be honest, as a youngster I mistakenly assumed that there was such a test, just like for other 'licences'!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

haha! I admit that I thought getting my reptile licence would be really difficult to get and I took a reptile handling course so that I could list it and have a certificate to say I'd done it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My male python was cooling itself and would lay on top of the hide (heated below from a heat mat) and his tongue began to not fully retreat into his mouth and I was concerned as I did not know what could cause this. I was told to put him on forced heat and it fixed itself. I did a lot of research at the beginning and had never heard of a cold python showing this type of behaviour, and I must admit I haven't read it since.

That is the only issue I remember experiencing that I could not find an answer for by researching.

That's very odd. I've been keeping for awhile now and have lots of snakes but never had anything like that. When keeping any animal (snakes, rabbits, horses, dogs etc) there can always be a case where no amount of reading or researching is going to help. And in such situations either a trip to the vet is in order or perhaps showing it to an experienced keeper. The books are for beginners to get the basics right. It would be impossible and impractical to cover every situation. Though I do enjoy reading Reptile Medicine and Surgery by Douglas R Mader. A good book for any reptile enthusiast.
I think issues like bad sheds and hydration are because the vivarium isn't set up properly and often not to the basic level recommended in the books. It's very hard to get a heat globe, dimming thermostat set up wrong and they generally don't dry out the air like CHE or bake the shed like a heat cord.

The one problem I have had so far was a prolapse or so I thought. A visit to the reptile vet and it turned out to be an abscess that it had passed out and was still joined to it's insides. An abscess can occur for a few reasons, but the most common is a bit of bone scratching the intestines. Often with enough heat they can heal for these scratches, but other times even with heat it gets infected and an abscess forms.

I know, right? It was the weirdest thing - I've got photos of him somewhere. The tongue was slack and poked out just behind the fork. From memory, it cleared up within a few hours as he warmed up.

I agree on the bad sheds/hydration issue although in this particular case why would one individual have a problem and the other shed perfectly whilst housed together? Inexperience was my downfall; I have not encountered a problem I have not been confident dealing with since then. I also make a habit of reading other people's "OMG please help me" threads in the hope that I might learn something I could encounter in the future.

I hope you're not concerned about your hatchie now hahaha. She's doing very well and I would classify myself as a competent keeper now :p

I know, right? It was the weirdest thing - I've got photos of him somewhere. The tongue was slack and poked out just behind the fork. From memory, it cleared up within a few hours as he warmed up.

I agree on the bad sheds/hydration issue although in this particular case why would one individual have a problem and the other shed perfectly whilst housed together? Inexperience was my downfall; I have not encountered a problem I have not been confident dealing with since then. I also make a habit of reading other people's "OMG please help me" threads in the hope that I might learn something I could encounter in the future.

I hope you're not concerned about your hatchie now hahaha. She's doing very well and I would classify myself as a competent keeper now :p

People like you never worry me. You are enthusiastic and like to learn as much as you can. Just like how you read all the "OMG" threads :) The most rewarding part, well second most rewarding part of breeding pythons in WA is helping people set up and get their first snakes. Helping them sort out the heating and little problems that come with learning about reptiles.
I have to admit I do screen potential buyers, to see how much they have looked into how to keep a snake and also I generally ignore emails or texts that look like someone fell on a keyboard. "Hay iz seen uz hav a snake 4 sale, can I plz c it?" That stuff will get you no where lol.
Also I love seeing the pics of my babies grow :) I either see them on FB (like yours) or some people email me with updates. How much fun are snakes right!?

They’re awesome, love them.

I can imagine watching the progeny grow would be cool; do you want personality updates too? haha. Mac is my fastest eater- on the weekend she beat the record (stimmie from 2009) of downing a hopper mouse in 1 minute 40 seconds. It's the fastest I've ever clocked - the stimmie record was over 3 minutes.

They’re awesome, love them.

I can imagine watching the progeny grow would be cool; do you want personality updates too? haha. Mac is my fastest eater- on the weekend she beat the record (stimmie from 2009) of downing a hopper mouse in 1 minute 40 seconds. It's the fastest I've ever clocked - the stimmie record was over 3 minutes.
haha :) No need for personal updates. Yeah I keep a few just to watch them grow. I don't think I will ever not have a hatchy growing out at home.
I think Jess is still struggling to get hers feeding again :(

Yeah, don't think I'd be able to resist either.

Perhaps she should stop handling him... was it feeding alright for you?

Yeah, don't think I'd be able to resist either.

Perhaps she should stop handling him... was it feeding alright for you?
Yeah was one of my best feeders. Even fed it in front of her a few weeks before hand... I've sent a few PM's off but haven't heard back from the last one.
I think a breeders worst nightmare is selling a hatchie and the new owner not being able to get it feeding. You just know that something isn't right yet. Either too cold, handled too much, too large and enclosure etc. It's just trying to pin point it and fix the situation.

That sucks... bit concerning. Hopefully she makes a few changes and gets it right. Her clickclack looked pretty normal sized but she had a bit of trouble heating it originally didn't she. She also seemed to be handling it a fair bit when she got it. At least if it was feeding well it will have some condition.

Of the three womas I bought from Di 2 are excellent feeders and the third will only eat inside its clickclack if you leave the mice in there overnight, even when you can tell it's hungry. It gets frightened when presented with food. It's about half the size of the other two though so i'm assuming she had some problems with it too. Jess will get the hang of it, don't worry.

dont be so silly............ the world is full of nonsense paperwork as it is.............and i suppose you pay each time you apply and when you fail ... you must pay again next time you sit the test ???? do you work at the RTA ????
so you want all the nerds to be able to get a license first...??
absolutely not acceptable, and cant understand why anyone would agree with you

dont be so silly............ the world is full of nonsense paperwork as it is.............and i suppose you pay each time you apply and when you fail ... you must pay again next time you sit the test ???? do you work at the RTA ????
so you want all the nerds to be able to get a license first...??
absolutely not acceptable, and cant understand why anyone would agree with you

Are you kidding me?????

From Cathy

So this is the third thread I've read on here that seems to me that people are voicing their opinions on what other people are doing in their HOBBY.

I read someone saying that Pet Owners will never see past their enclosures and something about not being real herpetologists....
That might possibly be correct, but they most likely didn't get into the HOBBY to go field herping and re-naming species willy-nilly like Haymond Roser..
Maybe people have an interest in reptiles for what they are, their HOBBY, not for their natural history and trudging around the bush looking for them.

This interest they have is solely a HOBBY, a HOBBY called Herpeteculture.

I came into the HOBBY after keeping a few blue tongues and bearded dragons, didn't even know forums existed, didn't know there was information about husbandry on the Internet.
So I did what I thought was best for the animals, as it was my HOBBY.
I successfully kept those animals until they died many years on.
Now my focus is on keeping and breeding the animals I would like to keep in my HOBBY.
Any thing that I don't want to keep will be moved on to another person's HOBBY collection.

A HOBBY is what someone wants it to be.
That's a great things about a HOBBY, you can do what you like as it's yours.
These animals in our collections have very little, if any, conversational value. No matter what you think, there is never going to be a call to private keepers to help replenish wild stocks.

I think this brings up another debate/discussion that would be much better suited than discussing what others are doing, planning to do or haven't done...

Should we need licencing through National Parks to keep our animals?
Should we have to pay licencing fee to our local councils like we do with cats and dogs?

Last edited:
It's not a new idea, but one I agree with after seeing far too many people get reptiles and not know how to look after them.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/compulsory-reptile-course-96343/
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/reptile-licenses-58377/

Tesla and Trimer, I don't mind that you strongly disagree with me, but having read your response I am confused as to what exactly it is you disagree with in what I said.

At no stage did I indicate that there was not good information available on the net or within APS threads. What I said was that someone with no background is unable to discern what is good and what is rubbish, hence the need for clear guidance. Today I tried a little exercise and read the first six google sites for "Bearded Dragon care". There were difference in information on diet, contradictions on substrate use, different supplement regimes, one only talked about food size, differences in recommended lighting, recommended temperatures varied, the initial enclosure varied from an aquarium to a professionally produced viv and so on. An easily repeated investigation if you have the time. This is why I stated that newbies need "firm guidance" (not "spoon feeding" as you have mentioned)
You seem to want to enforce the "If I can't find it in 2 minutes it not worth my time reading" thought process, if the first six websites don't contain the information you need then you continue to look until you find it, that or learn to use google properly with specific search queries. With the above will come a median on how things are done, for example, if a person types in to google "what to keep a hatchling snake in" and there are 3000 posts which say click clack and 1 that says too keep them in an empty cigarette packet it's obvious what the most fitting/widely used method is. If the person researching doesn't know what a click clack is, than again, it's only a simple google search away to not only find pictures but tutorials on how to make them. As stated in one of my earlier responses a little initiative and common sense never hurt anybody.

To illustrate in real life, not that long ago a newbie wanted help on looking after a hatchling woma, particularly the sort of enclosure. A number of people responded and I gave her the the web address of the Southern Cross Articles by Doc Rock and the APS thread on How to Make a Click Clack. A few days later she replied, thanking all who had helped, saying the information provided was just what she needed, in particularly the click clack thread which was a huge help. She was given clear guidance! She did the work. She reaped the benefits. I am at a loss as to how "fast tracking possession" or "spoon feeding" can be extracted from that.
This correlates with my above response. So if you sent her the link to the exact article what "work" did she do? I just googled "how to make a click clack" and the first result was an article from this forum and titled "Guide to building a click-clack (Dial-up warning), so that link not only shows what a click clack is but also how to make one step by step.

What does confuse me is that you made a sarcastic remark about breeders following up on a sale and in the very breath you say: "Don't get me wrong I am always willing to help out a buyer and even give a follow up service should the need arise, I will also answer questions online regarding the husbandry of species which don't have much in the way of information...
I don't see what is confusing about that? If someone was to buy a snake from me which they were having difficulties with I would assist them, I won't however school them on herpetology and husbandry prior to the sale and I combat this by asking buyers certain questions before I will sell to them to, If I feel the person doesn't have the ability or knowledge to keep one of my animals I won't sell to them simply and plain.
At the end of the day the general day-to-day care is the responsibility of the new owner because that's how ownership works, it's not a joint custody agreement.
Regarding the species which are hard to find information on- when was the last time you saw an in-depth guide to keep species such as Carlia or Ctenotus? These are the types of questions I don't mind answering because there just isn't much in the way of husbandry for this species.

A similar thing with my suggestion of including a book as part of the sale. You say the book should have been purchased and used ahead of time and yet draw an analogy with driving that belittles it worth. The ideal situation is that a potential purchaser gets the book to read first. If that is not possible then it is part of the transaction and it is then encumbent on the buyer to do the reading ASAP. While it may not be the ideal situation it is a realistic and desirable alternative compared to selling snakes with no information provided.
I still disagree with this whole concept completely and I feel the only good that will come from it is newbies being even more lazy than they are now regarding prior knowledge (And yes, I know not all newbies are like that). And unfortunately I can only see the problem getting worse in NSW with reptiles being traded in shops. I understand that your intentions are good but what you propose relies completely on the new buyers shoulders, if they couldn't be bothered researching before why would they bother even opening the book other than to look at pictures to choose their next victim in their collection, and thus the circle begins.

It does appear that you have a presumption that those intending to purchase a reptile should know they need to find out about their specific care ahead of purchase. On this point we clearly do differ. It is not an uncommon experience for people to purchase a pet they know nothing about and to have no hassles with... dogs, cats, budgies, canaries, goldfish, rats, mice, guinea pigs to name a few of the more common ones. Everything you need to know, and what you need to keep them, can be packaged up in the one transaction. In addition to that a lot of people think of reptiles as able to look after themselves because it is not uncommon to see them in your garden, down the park, on the golf course etc. Combine that perception with previous experience of easy to keep uncomplicated pets, and you have an unwitting potential purchaser with no idea at all that reptiles do have some very specific requirements. So if the seller doesn't tell them, how do they find out?
To be honest this seems like nothing other than justification for the people that neglect their new additions, anyone who assumes what you have described should not only never own pets but should be committed. I see hawks around my local area yet I know if I was to put one in an aviary I would need to know what it eats, how often to feed it, what perches they like, handling and general husbandry techniques because that's what anyone with half a brain cell who cared about the welfare of their new animal would do. I think your analogy is not only very naive but dangerous because it allows people to use ignorance as an excuse for their own laziness and lack of effort.

Why the hell would anyone want more government interference and red tape to pursue a hobby? I think people should have to sit a theory test before being allowed to have children,to me that would be a worthy thing to implement.

As far as the keeping of any pet goes unfortunately there are those who should be limited to pet rocks only and it has always been the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back