Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
great,so the cnr entertainment unit i want to turn into a Stimpson unit,is now no good?????

its 64cm D
60 cm H
117 cm W(front)
36 cm W (rear)
sound fine to me...
they are a small python, so that easily coveres the required space (2000cm2)

*BUMP* <.>

Any news?? I have to build more enclosures soon! :)

wow shiregirl You will need 2 acres to keep the animal in your avatar.

wow shiregirl You will need 2 acres to keep the animal in your avatar.

Seems that way if past estimates are true :? See the size of the food item? :lol:

I heard that the launch at Hawsbury was cancelled and theres another meeting next monday with the committee.

If it is a government run department, especially run by a state Labor party, it may never happen! :lol:

Anyone know what size enclosure will be most likely required for Angle-headed dragons? If this ends up happening..

From a reliable source,theres no need for concern,everything is staying the way it is now...Thank god...

From a reliable source,theres no need for concern,everything is staying the way it is now...Thank god...
yeah i heard that all my tub sizes are fine for the animals i have in them...Phew what a relief!!!!
good day for the hobby !!! IMO of course

re DECC

:rolleyes: what a bunch of incompetant losers they are.. a chook raffle is beyond their scope.. :rolleyes:
Yeh Colin,for the chook raffle they might have to put in a submission for funding to the federal government and they would be knocked back for costing,presentation,planning and spelling mistakes.

I have 2 hatchies in a 6 foot tank think i meet the standard lol

The standards are in fact guidelines. The guidelines discourage the keeping of two snakes together and also the enclosure would be too big.

As per information from the last herp society meeting which I attended, I believe that DECC are still in consultation about the issue of mandatory minimum enclosure sizes.

Indications are that instead of mandatory regulated minimum enclosure sizes there will be a code of best practice or recommended guideline in regards to minimum sizes for enclosures.

This has come about because of the hard work by the representatives of the herp community which are part of the consultative process. Members of this group have put in a considerable amount of their own time, both in attending the DECC meetings and in preparing sound fact based submissions on behalf of the rest of the NSW herp community.

This issue has not been finalised as yet so don't think it can't or is not going to happen. Remember this matter was originally raised by DECC possibly after being pushed by other parties (animal welfare groups and th like) and I have a suspicion the bureaucratic process which started this may still push forward with some form of regulation. It could be a case of get a guideline in place then in the future make the guideline into regulation.

Some have hinted that this whole issue of mandating minimum enclosure sizes is in preparation for the possible retail sale of reptiles through pet shops. Instead of mandatory requirements for the provision of adequate sized housing on the grounds of animal welfare would it not be better for a person to prove prior knowledge and/or complete a basic husbandry course related to the type of licence for which they are applying?

Mandating a husbandry course or proof of prior knowledge prior to a licence being issued would have several benefits for example it would ensure that a person would have the basic knowledge in regards to the care, housing and wellbeing prior to them being able to aquire an animal, it would act as a deterant for the impulse buyer as they would actually have to do something more than just fill out the licence application, if done through herp societies it would potentially boost memberships, a nominal fee could be charged which could then be used to fund society activities and in addition could be used beneficially towards study, research and conservation.

Regards
Octane.

Indications are that instead of mandatory regulated minimum enclosure sizes there will be a code of best practice or recommended guideline in regards to minimum sizes for enclosures.

This has come about because of the hard work by the representatives of the herp community which are part of the consultative process. Members of this group have put in a considerable amount of their own time, both in attending the DECC meetings and in preparing sound fact based submissions on behalf of the rest of the NSW herp community.

this is exactly what I heard. Instead of a mandatory minimum enclosure sizes it is proposed that it will just be a recomended guideline instead. which is exactly how it should be in my opinion.

I'd also like to thanks the members of the committee for their work to achieve this result on our behalf. thanks guys and Im sure all the reptile keepers in NSW appreciate all the hard work you guys have put in. cheers.

Instead of mandatory requirements for the provision of adequate sized housing on the grounds of animal welfare would it not be better for a person to prove prior knowledge and/or complete a basic husbandry course related to the type of licence for which they are applying?

Mandating a husbandry course or proof of prior knowledge prior to a licence being issued would have several benefits for example it would ensure that a person would have the basic knowledge in regards to the care, housing and wellbeing prior to them being able to aquire an animal, it would act as a deterant for the impulse buyer as they would actually have to do something more than just fill out the licence application, if done through herp societies it would potentially boost memberships, a nominal fee could be charged which could then be used to fund society activities and in addition could be used beneficially towards study, research and conservation..

great call and something more experienced keepers have been suggesting for a long time now. It really saddens me personally when I see so many threads, especially here on APS where its clear that the new keeper just doesnt have a clue about keeping there reptile and has obtained a licence and a live animal without really any basic knowledge of how to keep it, look after it and keep it healthy..

Its far too easy to obtain a reptile licence in my opinion and with the introduction of pet shops being able to sell animals then it can only get worse, when people with no knowledge buy an animal on a whim without and idea how to look after it.

I'd be all for the NSW DEC introducing some mandatory test or demonstration of an applicants knowledge before they are granted a licence.

A licence to keep our native reptiles isn't a right.. its a priveledge.

I haven't read most of this thread, so i don't know if it's already been said, but i'd like to know if these enclosures sizes will apply to places like Taronga Zoo. They have lots of 'off display/spare' animals out the back which are kept in very small enclosures, sometimes for years. Will they have to upgrade these animals to larger enclosures, or will they be above the law?

I haven't read most of this thread, so i don't know if it's already been said, but i'd like to know if these enclosures sizes will apply to places like Taronga Zoo. They have lots of 'off display/spare' animals out the back which are kept in very small enclosures, sometimes for years. Will they have to upgrade these animals to larger enclosures, or will they be above the law?

DECC does not control the Zoo license. The proposed DECC guidelines are for private keepers and meant to guide keepers towards best practice. They are not framed as a basis for law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back