Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gonff

Reaction score
how did u first get to like reptiles? when did the realization of how awsome they are grab u? lol

for me, pretty much when i was born lol, being around animals a lot, i grew to like them!
i started to like reptiles when i caught skinks and stuff around the house, and when i went to the reptle centre in alice! since then and stuff, i've had skinks, beardies, blue-tongues, geckos......

what about u?

when i was about 8 the doctor down the road had a python in his waiting room,.....it was love at first sight,..!!

I've always had a fascination with animals that are, for lack of a better term, disliked by the wider community...that's how i decided i want a snake! now i need more! if anyone has any spare olives/waters hanging around....

I blame Doctor Harry on Better Homes and Gardens.

Couple of year sago he had a segment on good small house pets. He showed the Childrens python and I thought wow that is pretty cool, small enough to live in an apartment and not as demanding as a cat or dog.

Now I am getting my second snake and wish I lived in a house so I could have more oh also that I was 20 years younger so I culd spend more time owning them.

Growing up in Latrobe Valley i was always up the bush catching skink's etc and it just grew from there really.:)

I rescued a baby blue tongue in our garden - he had not shed properly around his legs and so they were bloated/infected. Ended up keeping him (yes without license) but after some operations his legs just wouldn't support him - he was put down :(
I lived in Darwin for a time after that, and would bike to and from work and see loads of Frill Necked Lizards, Ta Ta's and even the odd monitor. Add to that the Green Tree Frogs... I just became hooked on herps, and decided I would have a reptile as a pet when I came back to Sydney. And so I got my first Beardie :D

my dad brought home a wild bearded dragon about 10yrs ago.......
As an adult beardie it was a psyco!! i used to handle it everyday and feed it daily....It calmed down i grew to love it then i applied for my lisence and let him go and bought a childrens python.... Then i got a full time job, got the net went to google and typed - reptiles for sale in nsw and came across a number of sites and and now im here with a childreni, 2 diamonds, 2 jungles, 4 bynoes, 2 levis, 1 brown tree snake, 3 beardies and 2 cunninghams. and thats the story of my reptile life lol

when I was little (less than 5yrs lol) I'd be fascinated by reptile parks, and seeing the crocs, getting to hold one, and holding the pythons and the lizards...
then I read a book about ram chandra when was 8-9 and that fueled my passion for snakes...
my friend got a bubi coastal and I fell in love with it, and recently got to hold a gorgeous olive python, where mum saw me with it and finally gave in to letting me get a snake. now she's in love with MD's and we're looking at getting beardies and blueys...plus mum's keen on the idea of an albino carpet ;) gotta love my mum

the house we lived in from when i was born til when i was around 5 years old had a big bluey living in the front garden. He was really placid and friendly, we used to feed him and pat him. So I guess that's where it started for me.

I'm not sure where the love spawned from, I grew up thinking snakes were bad in an anti-snake kind of family...
But when I was little I would always have dreams about founding eggs and raising them and when they hatched snakes would come out.

I recall mentioning a few times over the years about wanting a pet snake and mum would flat out refuse. And then towards the end of last year -when I was still living at home- I started reading this forum and managed to convince mum to let me get one.

Since then I've acquired one other and am in the middle of organising to buy another.:D

i used to hold lots of snakes when i was little...
and for my birthday this year, i got heaps of money
and i thought i might buy a bearded dragon.
i love him so much :D

since i was in grade 4( i think), me and a few school chums *bredli* used to run around a school and oval chaseing anything and evertyhing...mainly reptiles:lol: then over the next 4 years kept going i didnt get any legal reptiles till last year* yes i have no ilegal reps anymore*

since before i can remember, i went to australia zoo wen i was 5 i think and thts when i first fell in love with them, then i started drawing them and stuff watched TV shows wateva stuff had anything to do with snakes, then in 2004(i think) i went into a pet shop and saw that you can but them i kept trying to con my mum into it. a year later she let me get ONE python but now i got 5 one the largest breed of python in Aussie and nxt year getting a couple of spotteds and a beardie:D

I found out that someone near where I lived had some snakes so I went around to have a look at his collection. He had 2 coastals and 1 darwin. One of the coastals was around 2.5 metres long. I asked if I could hold it and he said sure. I had it out of its enclosure and across my shoulders and it decided to wrap around my neck for a bit of supprt, wraped around enough to make my face start to turn red and a little difficult to breath. When I finally managed to get it off I knew I had to get a snake.

i had turtles and blue tongues as a kid. but got into snake through my youngest daughter. we went for a family day out to a pet expo. ill make along story short. we lost our daughter and found her sometime later, with a childrens python arond her neck at a stand. all as she could say was i want 1. after we all had a hold, we agreed we had to have 1. so got my licence and 2 childreni. now 17 snakes later our collection is still growing as i cant help myself. we luv our snakes, even tho were called freaks by our friends

Last edited:
all my life ive been facinated by reptiles,
my parents identified this about me from a very young age and let me have a beardie caught by a family freind and a few months later let me have a bluey my aunty caught ,and she was petrified of it and wet her pants during the apprehesion.But she knew i loved them and captured it for me.
i had that lizard 25 years before it past away.
later i got snakes and it grew from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back