Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think between the $1000-1500 depending on the quality is a fair price, but like you said slimebo i'd pay te extra for a problem free animal anyday.
you cover your original purchase cost after the 1st clutch then everything from then on in is a bonus..........

Think of it another way, What about all the parisites that keep saying these types of critters are to expensive because they cant afford one and try to talk the price down!

i can see it from that point of view too, but it was naive of anyone to think that the prices would stay up, its just the way every single market works, no matter what the object is. All it would take was even to look at other species on the snake market (eg GTP's, Blackheaded's, Woma's, even the Ball pythons in the U.S) to see that no matter what the price starts off at when they first come onto the market, eventually that price dwindles away to the point when any bloke on the street can afford one. Thats why people always try to be the first to create a new morph, so they can make as much money as they can from it while its price is high. There is no point fighting or getting frustrated over this fact, it has just got to be accepted as a reality. The only frustrating part is if when they become cheap enough for the general population to afford them, people dont buy them any more simply because anyone can have one. Or when breeders get frustrated when a snake they paid 5-10k a few years ago for and then bred, only fetches 1-2k now, it is just such a predictable trend, that to not see it coming is foolish.

Not trying to insult, just sharing an opinion haha

Good to finally hear someone with a head on their shoulders talking honestly from experience!

This whole thread is a good example of one reason why i got out of pythons. It's not about the animal anymore it's about the newest morph/hybrid/illegaly smuggled and all it comes down to is money. Even i have had people call me up threatening to break my legs because of how much i was asking for particular animals. And if ur not breeding somehow you can't be an accomplished keeper.

There really is no love in pythons anymore.

not trying to push prices up or down but this is my view.
last november i bred 15 albinos and all with dorsal stripes as well and high quality animals andthe father has now won 4 Trophies at 4 expos. i kept 3 hatchies for myself and over the next 3 months i sold 6 for $2500 which i though was well priced at that stage considering banded albinos wer going for $2000 -$2500 at that stage.
things went quiet for a couple months dropped the price to $2000 and didn't get a bite apart from a few tyre kickers.
dropped the price to $1500(apart from an outstanding male) and 2 picky feeders for $1200 each and last night i got 24 pm's and 9 email enquires and almost all were for the 2 $1200 picky feeders.personally i'd spend the extra $300 and get one smashing rats.
going by that,i think the true market price for them at the moment would be around the $1200- $1500 and i think that all the people that could afford the high quality animals have bought them and now they are coming down to an affordable price for the average joe blow.i also think that it will hover around the $1000 for the next few years as alot of snake enthusiests will find that affordable.i personally believe at selling at the market price and i have found out if it is above $1500 ,it is very hard to move unless you have something special.
cheers
simon

remembering the habitat that these animals come from, which is exploited and disappearing like the GTP's

Really? Since when? Our GTPs and their habitat is the most secure, even more secure than that of RSPs.

Gorgo, I still love pythons. Am I the only one? lol

LoL i love pythons =) but the hobby is going down a bad road. might come back around who nos.

No Waterrat, I still love pythons aswell, always have and always will.

You very well could be the only one! lol

But honestly, how many people will buy a 'morph,' 'locality' or 'anything' just cause they want one? Nearly everyone who gets them intends to breed them and i will wager that money is one of the biggest influencing factors in the decision a keeper makes when they decide they are going to breed.

That said i'm not against making money off your hobby if you can.

Gordo, I agree with you. For some reason, most reptile keepers (at all levels) think that breeding is a measure of success.

well i agree with waruikazi
im gonna say it yes
i love my snakes
and yes i want to make money out of it
just to fund other projects like getting albinos and gtps later on down the track
and of course to feed them
any extra money is a bonus to me
but im in it for the love of animals and to make the extra $$$ to feed/house/ get new ones

thanx shaye

It's nice if you can make money from breeding, but there's no certainty with animals. You shouldn't give up a regular job!
Those in it for the money are always going to be chasing the next morph. I love albino Darwins because they are beautiful, easy to keep and have great personalities.
THAT is why I'm breeding and selling at a discount to personal acquaintances - if the eggs hatch. I'm not counting on anything, but it's fun to see my girl get fat!
If hatchlings were only $100 each, I'd still breed her occasionally just to let others experience the joy of owning a lovely animal.

I love my old Diamond Python.... even though he tries to eat me every time i open his cage door lol

It's the same as everything though, there will always be peole in it for the money, yet there will always be others in it for
the love of the animals.

i still keep them for the love of them and all mine are pets. all get handled quite often as well.i have one of nearly every species of python purely for the love of them and just a couple breeding projects.i do get dissapointed with people who sell off there breeders because "they aren't breeding them any more".they are pets and pets should be for life. i am actually looking forward to the day when when they are all so cheap that they wont be looked at as money making machines.

I personally cannot think you can to much for piece of mind. I would rather pay a few hundred more and get an albino from someone i have dealt with before or someone they deal with.my whole collection has only come from 2 or 3 people and i know what goes on in their collection which gives me piece of mind in mine. I cannot fathem saving a hundred bucks and buying off someone i have never heard of because their albinos are $800. i do not mind a gamble but i have spent to much on the rest to put their lives at risk . also i would have my nuts handed to me on a plate by my wife if i lost a couple $1000 dollars worth of snakes being a tight @rse. i hope to get one in the coming season and i am counting on paying around what slimebo said or a bit more..

Really? Since when? Our GTPs and their habitat is the most secure, even more secure than that of RSPs.

No not the only one M..lol

My Bad, I was generalizing.... rainforest destruction, deforestation due to need to build more houses, factories etc.....maybe not GTP's as you have pointed out but there are others suffering...correct?

just out of Curiosity Scott ,how much would we have to sell our albino darwins
to not be seen as greedy and not in it for the money? ridiculasly high prices?
does that make one more of a True Big time breeder? and not greedy? :lol:

Last edited:
LOL. I find the notion that people come on here trying to talk the price down absurd. If I go around trying to talk the price of cars or any other consumer good down how much success do you think I'll have? We could talk all we want but at the end of the day nobody on their own can have a huge effect on the market as there are too many players.

I understand that there are people out there who spent thousands building their collections and have seen the value of all their work slashed in the last few years. I suspect there are many people out there who are having trouble coming to terms with that. When they they see people who are speaking the truth that they don't want to accept it really gets under their skin. Prices will continue to fall as the market (and the hobby) matures, its inveitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back