Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my hubby hunts, we are in gunnedah now so its mainly pigs and goats but when we were in the hunter valley it was deer, rabbits, foxes, goats and carp lol now that is fun, he hunts with a long bow, we used to use dogs years ago

it is a dailey sight to see utes going past with dead pigs on here headed for the chillers

will see if i can find some pics

Just got back from Deni, and had a great shoot....rabbits everywhere, will post some pics later.

Just got back from Deni, and had a great shoot....rabbits everywhere, will post some pics later.

You ever see any pigs around that way major? Used to see plenty of tracks not too far from there but no where as much in the last 5 years.

Two of my cousins are full time pig shooters, thats what they do day in day out and get paid great money for it too.

Mrs I
xxx

Whats that around the dogs neck and around their chests?
Sorry for the ignorance but whats sticking?

When hunting with dogs, how does the pig die? Do you still shoot it, or do the dogs tear its throat out or what?

The things on the dogs necks / chests are protective plates. They are light and flexable and come in many different styles. We use seat belt with an overlay of food grade conveyer belt in the hit zone. Useally the dogs will find the pig , hold it by the ears and then you come in and grab a back leg to control the animal. A sharp knife of any style really with a bit of length is inserted behind the pigs front leg into the heart , killing it very quickly. Throat sticking is generally reserved for people that sell thier pigs to chillers and cant afford to damage the meat. This method can be hard as you have to roll the pig. I dont like doing it as your dogs can stand in the pigs mouth and get thier feet crushed. Gory ,a bit blood thiirsty maybe but very efficient and safe. Cheers Matt Pic of one of my dogs , Jett.
EasterPigs010.jpg

EasterPigs002.jpg

We once had a pig in one of our paddocks, it was ripping the open ground to shreds... We couldn't get to since half of the paddock was thick shrub and undergrowth, infested with blackberrys, even the dogs couldn't push through it, but they knew something was in there.

We called on a mate who was more of a hunter than us, and he said he knew how to draw him out. He rocked over with an old ewe of his that had died, opened up it's belly, and said leave her in the paddock in the hot sun for a day to stink up.

He came back at dusk the next day, and after about an hour of waiting, sure enough the pig came to the carrion, and he shot it.

The funny part was on the day the dead sheep was left, another of our friends came over (this paddock was alongside the lengthy driveway) he comes inside and says "Hey, sorry about this guys, but that sheep in the front paddock is looking pretty bad, i think it's dead"
Mind you we had never ever had any sheep in there before?

Hey Matty, you ever eaten any of those piggies, had a mate at Gwabegar who used to cook it under a fire in the ground and was lovely. Naturally he had caught thses wild and kept them enclosed for weeks before slaughtering them.

We don't live to far from Expansa1 and had a large Wedge tail eagle (rare around here) come in and snatch a hare from the house paddock.
Incredible sight.:shock:
Now that's hunting
Paul

What do you do with the pigs after you kill them? o_O

And what's the best hunting dog and for what reasons?

Oh! And who hunts feral cats!?

we eat some of the pigs we shoot or we give it to mates or feed it to the dogs so none wasted and we shoot feral cat's same with dogs and foxes ect

Yes poppy that is real hunting ! Warren i have only had it once but i know a few fellas that eat them. Especially the rainforest ones. They dont keep them penned or anything as they are in top nick anyway. Ive never seen any worms or anything in them , so they differ from the western ones alot. There is no one hunting dog. All people use all breeds. Ive heard of everything from great danes to chawowas [ spell ] so you can use what ever you like. All dogs love to hunt something. I suppose you only need to remember 3 things. A bit of stamina , a bit of heart a bit of brains and alot of manners. Thats 4 i know :rolleyes: Matt

just wondering..... how to u train a hunting dog?
ps. awsome post... never been hunting b4 but looks cool

You gotta find someone with good dogs and go with them. If your rabbiting or bailing up goats the dogs you use for that may already have it in them ie Whippets or Kelpies. I never went with anyone when i first started and just bought a dog of a fella and she was already trained. Yes she caught pigs but she also chased roos , so i had a hard time. These days there are training collars available. A small electric shock to the dogs throat when you see it do something wrong from a remote control. Very good because the dog associates the action with the pain and not with you. It can be a long road to getting a real good hunting dog but no matter what you want to hunt , once you get one going then you other youngens will follow. Cheers mate , Matty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back