Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay if you people are serious about this I suggest gettin Crikey to write up the petition, I can see it now.....

"I rekon yous shuld let us keep Ball Pythons in australia. One of the reasons is ball pythons proberly would not survive anyway in australia if thay exscapted. I really wont one so can we keep them??"

Okay if you people are serious about this I suggest gettin Crikey to write up the petition, I can see it now.....

"I rekon yous shuld let us keep Ball Pythons in australia. One of the reasons is ball pythons proberly would not survive anyway in australia if thay exscapted. I really wont one so can we keep them??"

hahahaha :D... I think I would take more of a scientific approach!

LOL funny comment

I think that they should do some reaserch and find any species that doesn't pose a threat to our native ecosystems but who would fund such research? If done you could then petition and apply to have ball pythons legalized only if you could prove that they would not thrive in Australian conditions. I wouldn't go through the effort for Ball pythons myself its not worth it IMO but there are some species I think it would be worthwhile for. I think that the animals that are here already should be given to people who have proved can care for them and sign an agreement not to breed them so that they don't have to be killed.

I wasn't talking about importing I am against the importation of exotics what I was talking about is the ones already here just like the exotic snakes....Rather than kill them implement a system to control/regulate them so that they aren't smuggled in as often.

Yes, but the exotic reptiles that are here were never a legal import, unlike the parrots. BTW, exotic parrots that are confiscated for being unable to prove provenance are also euthanised - unless the zoos want them, which they dont because they dont have the room or the funding to keep them.

There would be some that were of illegal import originally but handed to zoo's and other organisations such as the Hyacinth Macaws at Adelaide Zoo. Their offspring would be legal wouldn't they? Or did the zoo only get them because they are critically endangered and killing them would have caused an uproar?

who cares if someone likes a snake from a differnt country thats ok. what is this world coming to what now peope can want some thing from another country gee, yes i would love to have a ball python and yes i would also love to have our carpets what is wrong with that. i would also like to own a some spiders from overseas what are yous all going to say that we have some of the best spiders in the world here in aus so i shouldnt wont to get one from overseas. get real people

lol...this isn't about an animalistic racism, it's about protecting our environment and in the larger sense the globe.
You get real.

Last edited:
lol...this isn't about an animalistic racism, it's about protecting our environment and in the larger sense the globe.
You get real.

If that was the case then cats would be illegal... Exotic reptiles are already here and their impact is already here too..

I couldn't be bothered reading most of this thread, it really has been done to death, and there will never be agreement. Sure, there are many many exotics already here, but saying that 'they are here already, lets just legalise them' is silly. In some states it isn't even legal to keep a) all Australian species, b) all species native to that state for crying out loud, maybe we should be working on those restrictions rather than lobbying to bring in exotics.
Personally, I would kill (those of you who know me know this is NOT an exaggeration) for a chameleon, but I am realistic, and would be ecstatic over seeing laws change so I could keep Amyae.
If exotics were allowed in, I can see them having to be sterilised, and yet there would still be people smuggling in fertile specimens to breed. No regulations will ever be fully enforced in regards to exotics, so IMO it is better that things stay the way they are, but maybe punish the owners more rigorously.

There would be some that were of illegal import originally but handed to zoo's and other organisations such as the Hyacinth Macaws at Adelaide Zoo. Their offspring would be legal wouldn't they? Or did the zoo only get them because they are critically endangered and killing them would have caused an uproar?

Those animals, and their progeny if any, remain illegal to the general public; they're only tradeable amongst zoos. Adelaide zoo only got the macaws because they figure they get people through the front gate and generate income. IIRC they're both males anyway. There have been many more, rarer, macaws confiscated recently in Victoria that were euthanised, so no, the government doesnt care if there is uproar or not (which there was).

Last edited:
keel backs can eat cane toads when they are in tadpole form or small toads.
A lot of snakes in Asia feed on toads and could prob take on toad here in Aust.

Those animals, and their progeny if any, remain illegal to the general public; they're only tradeable amongst zoos. Adelaide zoo only got the macaws because they figure they get people through the front gate and generate income. IIRC they're both males anyway. There have been many more, rarer, macaws confiscated recently in Victoria that were euthanised, so no, the government doesnt care if there is uproar or not (which there was).
It was a conservation thing they are not and have not been on display for years you can get a sneak peak at them when you pass to go see the panda's but that is it. Which is disappointing as they are one of the most incredible birds in the world. They are looking to put them on display to the public once they have an enclosure in the display area but that might be a while away as they just wasted millions on panda's. The zoo has bred animals that have been introduced into private collection from time to time but I think it is a phase in period going to a keeper then they breed them and start to sell kind of thing.

apart from legal reasons there isnt much diffrence between keeping GTP's, BHP, olives, jungles or exotics in say Melbourne because if none of these animals are found in Victoria so the threat of them all escaping is the same.I live in NSW so what is the diffrence between one of my jungles getting out and into the bush and a corn or ball python escaping?

It was a conservation thing they are not and have not been on display for years you can get a sneak peak at them when you pass to go see the panda's but that is it. Which is disappointing as they are one of the most incredible birds in the world. They are looking to put them on display to the public once they have an enclosure in the display area but that might be a while away as they just wasted millions on panda's. The zoo has bred animals that have been introduced into private collection from time to time but I think it is a phase in period going to a keeper then they breed them and start to sell kind of thing.

They only went off display to make way for the new enclosures.... Yes, they are great birds - I've had the pleasure of training with them in the US. You'll find that the zoo bred animals that were introduced into private collections either were from LEGAL sources originally (and allowed to be kept species), or done on the sly by less than reputable keepers... I have purchased a bird, surplus to requirements, from a zoo in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back