Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but aren't they the same species even though they can look very different ? Still mongrels to me though :lol:

Moreliaman said:
Arent most GTP's in aus cross bred with new guinea stock ?? you'll have to kill those mongrels soon !! :wink: :lol:

The post was to inform people that something interesting was happening with carpet genetics, I'm not saying I agree or disagree and I haven't even read it yet and it may not be true.

An odd thread to start Boa, maybe you should detirmine if there is even a scientific study on carpet python genetics happening at all before starting your thread.
Thank you for 'informing' us of this 'interesting' study that you are so in tune with.

You are quite right, it isn't odd at all. It is a thread regarding some very interesting information on morelia, this is after all an Australian Reptile forum.
I did start the thread with 'There was apparently a recent study' so there was no inference that it was factual at all.

Moreliaman said:
how can a thread asking people about information/ or more the validity of it be odd ?

Odd in the fact Boa is speculating on results of a study he knows nothing about - even if it exists.

I just see him asking others if the information is valid or not !! I find nothing odd about it !

Again, you are right, it was a request for information regarding the existence or otherwise of the study. This is the primary purpose of this forum I would have thought ?

Moreliaman said:
I just see him asking others if the information is valid or not !! I find nothing odd about it !

The study was:
D. Taylor, L. Rawlings, SC. Donnellan, and AE Goodman.
Population structure of the highly polytypic Australian carpet pythons (Reptilia: Morelia spilota)
It was presented at the 2003 meeting of THE AUSTRALIAN SOCIETY OF
HERPETOLOGISTS INCORPORATED.

As far as I can tell, it has not been published, this may be because it failed in peer review, it may be for some other reason.
Basically, there has to be a certain level of DNA diference for diferent forms to be a subspecies and these researchers found that there was not. From memory, they considered Bredli, South westerns and possibly diamonds to be seperate species and everything else the same species without any subsepcies. ie. Morelia
bredli, Morelia imbricata, Morelia spilota and Morelia variegata.

Clearly they are not genetically identical, cloning species are the only ones that are. But what they found was that the level of genetic diference did not warrant subspecies classification.

Thanks Magpie, that was what I was looking for. I agree it was wrong to say genetically identical as you rightly say only clones would be identical. On a species level I guess it shows they are as close as it's possible to be.
I thank you and others for seeing what I was trying to find out.
Leaving supposed moral questions out of it from a legal perspective what would this mean as far as breeding betwwen these 2 forms in Queensland ? If they are shown to be one species then their is surely no legal impediment to breeding them together ? I should add once again I have no plans to do it but it highlights the problems with wildlife laws.

Thanks Kyro and Sssssssnakeman for those links.

There is no imperative for Qld EPA to adopt even if it is confirmed.
Look at Victoria, they are using taxonomy that has not been widely accepted for decades.

As I said it highlights the problems with wildlife laws. If someone is prosecuted for 'crossing' a caostal with a Jungle they could take the EPA to court and I would imagine have the case laughed out of court ?

Magpie said:
The study was:
D. Taylor, L. Rawlings, SC. Donnellan, and AE Goodman.
Population structure of the highly polytypic Australian carpet pythons (Reptilia: Morelia spilota)
It was presented at the 2003 meeting of THE AUSTRALIAN SOCIETY OF
HERPETOLOGISTS INCORPORATED.

As far as I can tell, it has not been published, this may be because it failed in peer review, it may be for some other reason.
Basically, there has to be a certain level of DNA diference for diferent forms to be a subspecies and these researchers found that there was not. From memory, they considered Bredli, South westerns and possibly diamonds to be seperate species and everything else the same species without any subsepcies. ie. Morelia
bredli, Morelia imbricata, Morelia spilota and Morelia variegata..

Yes, I think it was just Morelia spilota, morelia bredli and morelia imbricata from Memory.

Your right, I think there may be a problem with the researchers peer reviews, as you would expect such ground breaking news to of been published before now, but who knows, it must have some foundation to it to of been presented in 2003.

Neil

So, bascially, it is almost going back to where it was when I first learned about Morelia spilota except Bredli's have replaced Diamonds.

Yes, I was fully aware of the post 1988 studies. it just took me a while to understand that things had changed. I came into this forum, Cogger in hand, and started learning abotu Cheynii, McDowelli etc and thinking; "What the heck are they?" Did a bit iof research and found out that all had changed. Now we here of some study that is aiming to reverse it back again.

And at least now we have access to that study thanks to this thread. There have been previous threads on here mentioning that this change was imminent but no direct refence to the study.

the only info i can find on this is other people on reptile sites asking for it !!!

Oh and i found the minutes to the meeting !! :wink:

And at least now we have access to that study thanks to this thread. There have been previous threads on here mentioning that this change was imminent but no direct refence to the study.

Where is the study?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back