Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OuZo said:
so if a dingo is a subspecies of canis lupus then wouldnt crossing that with another subspecies of canis lupus be like crossing diamond and coastal? 2 sub species of the same species being crossed together? are all domestic dogs the same sub species?

domestic dogs are the same species

crossing a dingo with a domestic dog would be like a diamond x coastal

crossing a coyote with a domestic dog would be like water x olive

It will happen whether it's liked or not. There are for and against for both sides of the arguement.

If we step outside of the square and acknowledge that it will happen, we can manage it. There is a lot to look forward to in breeding designer morphs, however we must never forget the original linage.

Arnold said:
There is a lot to look forward to in breeding designer morphs, however we must never forget the original linage.

Thats the way it has gone in the US.

The unusual colour morphs/albinoes etc fetching high prices and the original wild type with traceable history also fetching high prices.

Jaguar Spilota Mcdowelli - Coastal Carpet (Believe it or not)

NATIVE REGION: Eastern Australia, though it is a mutation with captive origins. None have been reported in the wild.

AVERAGE SIZE: 7-9'

COMMENTS: The Jaguar gene is a rare genetic trait that originates, oddly enough, from the Coastal Carpet Python. Jan Eric Engell of Norway produced the very first Jaguar back in 1994 while breeding two seemingly normal mcdowelli together. In 1998 he proved the trait to be genetic (it is presumed to be of a co-dominant nature since the breeding of a Jaguar to a completely normal unrelated mcdowelli produces an average of 50% true Jaguars and 50% "normal" appearing siblings per clutch).

Within the past few years, several new morphs have also surfaced from the same genetic strain, including: the Hypo Jaguar (like the one pictured Bellow), the Red Hypo Jaguar, a completely Banded Jaguar, a patternless or "Banana" Jaguar, *Super Red Hyos (red and cream colored bands with red tongues!), and *Leucistics. The Leucistics were the result of breeding a Jaguar to a Jaguar. Unfortunately, of the 6 produced this year, none have lived long after pipping.

It is also worth mentioning that some of the "normal" appearing siblings found among the Hypo Jaguar clutches tend to turn bright yellow and black with age, closely resembling the pattern and coloration of a Jungle Carpet Python (M.s. cheynei). However, this possible gene remains unproven, so we will just have to wait and see.

This is from : http://www.reptilicusreptiles.net/htm2/pythons_jaguar.htm

Thats the way it has gone in the US.

The unusual colour morphs/albinoes etc fetching high prices and the original wild type with traceable history also fetching high prices

Jonny,

It is inevitable we are approxiamately 10 yrs behind the US

It is inevitable we are approxiamately 10 yrs behind the US
Spot on Arnold except the US don't have any albino carpets yet but they do have the jags.There will be animals as nice and nicer than that black and white jag being bred in Australia in the future.Also that specific jaguar didn't remain white as it got older but what a stunning carpet!!!

Funny how people always post pics of the exceptional hybrids and you never see the pics of all the fugly ones that were bred before they got a nice one.
They are mongrels and I don't care how pretty they can be.
Not interested.

ps. My dogs are purebred Alaskan Malamutes, Zoe.

all your so called pure breeds were made by breeding mungrels in spacific lines.

If we must keep referring to dogs.
All dogs did originate from one breed.(Way back when)
Then bred and crossed with specific linage to give other breeds. so why cant it be done with snakes.
Pure bred is exactly what????

Bred to produce a specific breed.

Please if I am wrong correct me!

Sorry Greebs but i don't own any fugly hybrids so i can't post a pic of one.I've seen a few hybrids in my time and none were really fugly.....no more fugly than your regular coastal anyway!!!

Dunno what pics you're talking about but the pic of the jungle diamond hybrid of mine was taken this afternoon dude so no chance of having seen that pic before,maybe the others and they are all great examples of hybrids,crosses or mutations!!!

So what?

They are examples of possiblilities of new linage/breeds.

Are they not?

So what?

They are examples of possiblilities of new linage/breeds.

Are they not?
Too bloody right playwell!!!I have posted many pics of different jag carpets etc and we are now entering a new phase of carpet breeding in Australia!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back