Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SlytherinGirl

Hi,
I'm another of those countless posters who are on the search for their first snake. And, I'm very excited :D!
I'm a complete newbie to snakes- although I've been googling like crazy for the last six months or so in search for the perfect snake. I'm 14 years old, and I have my reluctant mother's concent, however I think that's as much help as I'll be getting from her :lol:.
I was wondering what people's opinions are on good firsty's- I know there are heaps of similar posts, but I'd like to ad my own little part first ;)

I know that so many people say "It's not the snake's looks that are important, but their temperment!". Well, that's all fine and well, but I would really like a pretty snake, not a plain looking one. Sure, shallow, but I like a nice animal.
Although so many say that you can't stop at one, at this stage I'm only looking for one snake, and I want it to be the right one for me. And that means pretty, as well as nice tempered and easy.

I was originally looking at the Spotted (or any other Anteresias) but (if you are an Antaresia lover, I truly hope not to offend you- I'm sure they are a delightful snake) I would like something with a nicer pattern.
I am now looking at the Darwin Carpet Python. I know they can grow quite a bit bigger (if someone could tell me a precise measurement, that would be MUCH appreciated), but their pattern is just so beeeeautiful! And they are aboreal (from what I've heard), so they'll climb around.
I've heard that they can be kinda snappy as youngsters, but I've also heard that you can always find placid individuals- I'm hoping to find that individual.
Mind you, I'm still not locked into this idea- there's still room for movement!

Any info would be much appreciated. This includes which species you would recommend, cage size for Darwins (or recommend snake), temperment etc.
I was thinking of buying from SnakeRanch, purely because I don't know where else to go. I would prefer them to just a normal breeder due to their great reputation and reliability. Is this a good move?

Anyway, I apologise for the long post.
I look forward to my new slithering friend!

Thanks again...

:D:D:D

If your looking for something with a nice pattern, have a look at woma's, there on class one now.

Hmm... womas can get quite expensice though can't they?

Try a Diamond, you can pick one for about $350 and have a great temperment and colour, My first snake was diamond and love them:)

Also snake ranch could be abit pricey, Have a look on Herptrader and even on the for sale section on this site

Stick with something a bit smaller until your mother gets used to the idea of a snake! Womas can be purchased for $350 - $500 for a basic animal. Price goes up from there. Antaresia can be quite nice in colour - don't dismiss them too soon! Check out some of the ones that Pilbara Pythons (sponsor page) have. You certainly couldn't call them dull. My stimson (see signature) is rather dull looking, but she is the nicest little snake in the world and has beautiful bronze-coloured eyes. I got her for my daughter when she was in year 2 and had researched snakes all year. If you really like Darwins, go for them, but make sure you will have room for a large enclosure in a year or two. I've attached a photo of one made from an old dresser to give you ideas. Some of the nice breeders on the site will let you pick a hatchling that isn't too snappy. Try Slateman or Ramsayi - both have beautiful Darwins.

I've changed around the branches, added a backing poster and my Darwin outgrew the little boxes long ago. Still - it's just an old dresser we were going to chuck out.
Shakuracagesm.jpg

Hmmm.... womas, bredlis, diamonds, antaresia- it seems the decision is getting harder!
Womas are a bit expensive, but I suppose you'll find expensive sales for ever snake. I've never really felt anything for bredlis, and as for diamonds, they grow that bit too big. I'm wanting a one-person snake.
I'm still thinking Darwin Carpet.

I got 2 Bredli from Snake Ranch, one during a 20/20 offer, the other at the Castle Hill Expo, both well under $300. I found Snake Ranch great to deal with & very helpful with any enquiries. They grow to be a larger snake (2-2.5m), but are very placid & great handlers (mine anyway, can be different from snake to snake). As hatchies they aren't that pretty, but they colour up beautifully. Here's one of my female after a shed last week, both my snakes only 8 months old. Bredli only require a basic licence.

don't want to hijack this post, but im also a first snake buyer, are woma's on a basic license now ? as it says on the dse that they are on "Advanced". Good luck with your decision slytherin!

i love all my snakes equally although i just picked up this little guy...and i must say he is quite a good looking animal...:D

Attachments

• IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 102
Hmmm.... womas, bredlis, diamonds, antaresia- it seems the decision is getting harder!
Womas are a bit expensive, but I suppose you'll find expensive sales for ever snake. I've never really felt anything for bredlis, and as for diamonds, they grow that bit too big. I'm wanting a one-person snake.
I'm still thinking Darwin Carpet.

by all means buy a Darwin if that's what you want, but as for size they are simular to Diamonds and MD's, I have both and the Diamond and MD is more docile :D
have you read this, it's good
http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article PDFs/road_testing_lr.pdf

don't want to hijack this post, but im also a first snake buyer, are woma's on a basic license now ? as it says on the dse that they are on "Advanced". Good luck with your decision slytherin!

They still are on advanced licence in VIC.
Every other state has vastly different rules from one another, what is allowed in one state isnt in another

I have a yearling bredli and he is great. I got him from Victorian Reptiles in Hoppers crossing. I paid reasonable money for him $480, but you get looked after really well. Great servise and advise. Cheers

Well one of the main questions you need to ask yourself,how much are you willing to pay,how much room do i have once it reaches a adult...With any of the Antaresia family as adults they dont need as big of a enclosure compared to Darwins,Bredli,Diamonds etc.I currently own 3 Darwins and they are a placid snake,every snake has different personalities,some are bitey,some are not.With any species when they are hatchies most seem to be bitey,generally they calm down with age....My male Darwin is 3year old and about 5-6feet...Personally i would go with a species you think is nice and will only grow to the size you want...Start with any of the Antaresia family to begin with until you learn more etc.Best of luck with your decision...

I understand where you are coming from, i too was in the exact same position. I think we all have been. As others are saying carpets can get quite large up to 8 ft in length which in that case u will have to get a large tank, spend more on food, cleaning etc. I own 2 stimson pythons which grow a max of about 1.2 metres. Adorable snakes, the best looking snakes in the children family. All snakes will bite as hatchies as i think we all would when we are getting handled by someone 3.2 million the size of our own bodies. But it won't take long for the snake to adjust and come to the liking of being takin from the tank and exploring the bigger picture.
Stimsons are alot smaller and when getting bitten it will not have the affect of a larger snake e.g carpet. And when the snake is a lil older getting bitten is VERY VERY rare. But incase that rare occasion happens i think we would both rather getting bitten but a 1.2 metre snake then a 7 footer.

If you want to discuss more on the matter feel free to contact me on the chat board and i will tell you everything you need to know. Even if you do decide to get a carpet or anaconda .

Just from my personal experience with morelia I would not recommend a darwin for your first. They can be really flighty and pretty keen to bite for the first year of their lives. They are a beautiful snake but I would never recommend them for a 14 year olds first snake.

My first was a coastal carpet, which is probably more suited for you if you can find a nicely patterned one. They are very gentle snakes on the whole. You would have to be unlucky to get a grumpy one. Just my opinion though, in the end just get what you want within reason and be happy with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back