Flood tax levy - thoughts.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides the political scoring, the money has to come from somewhere.
I would rather see the money come from people who the government doesn't
charge tax, this includes some large businesses owned by religious groups.
Imagine if places like Sanitarium & Hillsong paid tax every year? that money could
really help. Certainly help more than speaking with your invisible friend.

And another food for thought... would those who have lost EVERYTHING have to pay the levy as well?

From what ive seen on the news, no.

I would rather see the money come from people who the government doesn't
charge tax, this includes some large businesses owned by religious groups.
Imagine if places like Sanitarium & Hillsong paid tax every year?

Good point!!!

I see it this way. I am what is classed as a high income earner. I pay a lot of tax, probably as much in a year as most people pay in 10. Why if I already contribute 10 times as much as the average guy, must I be further penalized by a levy that targets people who already contribute much more towards Australia's economy. Remember, the average income earner pays almost zero tax once they have claimed all their government handouts. High income earners don't have the same luxury as most handouts are salary capped.

You still have way more money than the people not classed as high income.

Yes the tax is high but I wouldn't complain about it I would just be happy with what I had either way you still wind up ontop with more money than the average Joe. Yes it does seem unfair but what if tax was flat rate 25% could you imagine the strain it would have on lower/middle income families? Imagine if you were a teen that earnt only 6 grand a year and the government just to keep all the rich people happy said "Its only fair we have to take a quarter of that" The way things are is the way its been done in other countries for a long time and the system works.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is true; I probably do have more money than Joe Average. Does that mean I should be taxed until I take home the same amount as him?

The Labor party tries their hardest to try to make everyone equal. I think that is called communism - not sure on that one.

The levy would be more fair - in my opinion - if it was just a flat percentage of your salary,

You still have way more money than the people not classed as high income.

Yes the tax is high but I wouldn't complain about it I would just be happy with what I had either way you still wind up ontop with more money than the average Joe. Yes it does seem unfair but what if tax was flat rate 25% could you imagine the strain it would have on lower/middle income families? Imagine if you were a teen that earnt only 6 grand a year and the government just to keep all the rich people happy said "Its only fair we have to take a quarter of that" The way things are is the way its been done in other countries for a long time and the system works.

Last edited:
Yes that would be much fairer and that is how it should be done. You are not getting taxed to the point where you get the same as Joe Average if you do the math you still have more than him, doesn't mean that you didn't earn it and that the government be aloud to just take it away at any given time. The levy being done that way is a bad move. To be honest the government claiming that they were going to be the first advanced economy out of debt would mean that they have the money to spare to help out the Aussies that are in crisis.

It's simple maths....

$150,000 a year. That's $2880 a week.

$850 a year. That $16.35 a week.

HOW UNREASONABLE!

Just wondering what people think about Julia Gillard's flood tax levy? I for one think it stinks. Why do I have to pay $850 to subsidise flood victims when the government could just as easily take the money from the NBN kitty?

I think hitting high income earners all the time is immoral. Sure they make more money than the average John Doe but they also pay a LOT more tax.

So you make about $160 000 per year and can't afford $850 for one year for the guys who lost everything?
Hmm.....

The money for infrastructure has to come from some where. It seems logical to get it from those who should have surplus money than from those who dont.
The damage needs to be fixed now so we need the money now. Sharing the burden now seems like the way to go.
Speed cameras are state government revenue and so are different from Federal income. Maybe the Feds should invest in a couple of camera cars as an additional income stream?

Beats paying one for a gun buy back.......
I do not know how the opposition can stand there straight faced and say julia is wrong when they forced us to pay a levy in 97 98 to buy guns back.. at least this is helping all Australians...
I am a high income earner and as such expect to now just pay for everything for all others...lol. wish my $160 a week child maintenance could be classed as a donation though..

I'm thinking i'll just cancel all my insurance policies and ask for a government handout when something goes wrong...

Ben

Between $1 to $5 per week... Really... and only for those earning over $50,000 per year...

Why do I have to pay silly road user charges for Brisbanians? Why do I have to pay a stupid medicare surcharge when I've never even been to the doctor... Why do I have to pay stupid third party insurance when i've never even hurt someone with my car... (by the way - this is sarcasm, I do understand why I pay it, and I don't mind it either - I just do my civic duty) :)

I'm neither for it... nor against it... I just see it as $1 a week that I won't need to donate... it's now forced....

The next thing that gets me though is insurance companies... They'll now charge more because they were forced to payout... They're just profit mongering and to me, they're profiting on other's misery!!!

$850 a year is not a salary. If you're getting that for full time work, then I suggest you get your employer jailed for slave labour. It's against the law to pay under the minimum salary.

It's simple maths....

$150,000 a year. That's $2880 a week.

$850 a year. That $16.35 a week.

HOW UNREASONABLE!

I am against new taxes, but incase no one knows, I heard this on the news this morning and Wayne Swan said the tax will be:

less than $1 per week to 60% of the tax payer population (middle to high income earners)

In principle they shouldn't tax us if they have a backup fund (which they do), but I don't think this amount is anything to cry about basing it entirely on the cost.

I am on the fence about it, but just letting people know what I heard on this issue :)

I think its a load of crap! the issue isnt with aussies not wanting to help out, its where the government plans on getting the money from. They are looking at generating $1.6 or something billion to go towards the estimate $5-$6 billion to clean it up. Although it only works out to about $5 a week for someone earning $60k its just a spin on another money grab by labor. The government has enough money and can cut budgets without having to slap us with more tax. As people have said we blantantly through billions away to other countries and never thought to put away some funds for a rainy day. Does Gillard think we are all that stupid. The tax is not happening until 01/07 surely they can come up with something better than this. Lets hope it doesn't even gain royal assent and the lower house independants reject it.

its kinda crappy that the govt wastes so much money in other areas, but for the price of 1 or 2 measly takeaway coffees, (or not even that) it would provide a huge amount of relief to people who have lost everything.

PM Julia Gillard's flood levy runs into rough water | Queensland
Those earning under $50,000 will pay nothing. Someone with an income of $60,000 will pay just under $1 a week, a person on $100,000 just under $5.

ive felt almost guilty watching the disaster on the news while im comfortably curled up on my dry lounge cuddling my living spoilt critters.

as long as it is just for the 1 year till the funds they need have been raised i dont have a real problem with it.

It's going to stop a lot of people donating money not just for the floods but future disasters as everyone will assume they will just get taxed I know it's going to cost billions to fix the damage but this tax is goingto stop Aussies show off there generous spirts

Its about equality not what he can afford.
so taxing everyone a flat percent inst fair???
its not my fault someone is rich if your rich stop being greedy and moaning like your hard done by
you wanna see hard done by try being partly disabled and living on 300 a week like me OR having all your worldly possessions
flushed down the brizzy river and left to listen to rich people moan and groan about a tax pfft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back