Flood tax levy - thoughts.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The money for infrastructure has to come from some where. It seems logical to get it from those who should have surplus money than from those who dont.
The damage needs to be fixed now so we need the money now. Sharing the burden now seems like the way to go.
Speed cameras are state government revenue and so are different from Federal income. Maybe the Feds should invest in a couple of camera cars as an additional income stream?

The reason why some people earn more than others is that they pull their fingers out and work for it !!
I thought you would know that.
All tax's are a aimed at high income earners.
eg, stamp duty on houses [ more you pay for a house, the larger the duty ]
land rates - same above !!
I could go on and on and on...............
Most people have already donated quite a bit.............now this tax !!

Last edited:
i to will also incurr the highest collection rate of this levy tax !
far too ofen now govenments and businesses ( energy, water companies ) pass the buck on govenment infrastructure!
our govenment does have an emergency mangement funds in this event that it can access .as some people have stated already that we opened our pockets to the world for there aid appeals indon,sri lanka, india,usa, solomon islands,haiti we have gave more than our fair share now the govenment says we will get australian public to pay more as well.
why give to overseas countrys appeals- why : mismangement of disaster funding !
nearley every disaster that has happened more money has disappeared by govenments into there own coffers than what has reached they intended purposes.
Sri Lankan tsunami aid misappropriated - watchdog panel | News.com.au

NEARLY $537 million in tsunami aid for Sri Lanka is unaccounted for and over $686 million has been spent on projects unrelated to the disaster, an anti-corruption watchdog says.

Berlin-based Transparency International has demanded an audit of the money received by the Sri Lankan government to help victims of the Asian tsunami which hit the island on December 26, 2004, killing 31,000 people.

The group's Sri Lankan chapter said on Saturday the public have a right to know how the aid money was spent, as the tropical nation marked the fifth anniversary of the tsunami.

The group alleged that out of $2.5 billion received for relief, $686.23 million was spent on projects unrelated to the disaster.

Another $536.68 million is missing, the group said.

"There is no precise evidence to explain the missing sum of $536.68 million," Transparency International said.

An "audit should be done by the government to explain the utilisation of the money received and the challenges faced," the group said.

A government official yesterday declined comment on the allegations, but Colombo has consistently rejected such accusations in the past.

An initial government audit in 2005 found that less than 13 per cent of the aid had been spent, but there has been no formal examination since, Transparency International said

The levy will only just be able to pay back the deductions people make on the donations they gave for the floods. So what the government is actually doing is stoping people from donating and claiming deductons, then making you pay in a levy. If they put as much thought about running the country as they do about how to cram thier hand in you back pocket every 5 minites then we would be a fair bit better off. I'm happy to help (as I have done) as an aussie, i'm not happy to be told to help!

Last edited:
food for thought -

when the australian govenment collected a tax to repay the lost wages and monies owned by collapsped company ANSETT,
it collected the money for years then waited years to pay it out keeping the intrest paid on the account for itself.
The Federal Government did provide a $A350 million loan (SEESA) which is being repaid by the Administrators at the same time as the staff are being repaid however, to ensure that there is no exposure to taxpayers, a $A10-per-seat levy was imposed by the Federal Government on Australian airline passengers. This has led to claims of "double dipping" by the Australian Government and a common misconception that former Ansett staff have been fully reimbursed.[14] As at December, 2010, former employees still have not been paid their full entitlements, and many employees have not had their superannuation funds released, causing problems for many former employees who have now reached retirement age.

When is everyone going to realise that governments (liberal, labour, whatever) don't work in the best interests of their own people?

When are people going to realise - you give them an inch, they will take a mile?

When are people going to realise - we are not the little people, we are the MAJORITY!!

They are all politicians......stop voting for them!!

Australians have given more out of their own pockets to fellow aussies than the govt ever will.

food for thought -

when the australian govenment collected a tax to repay the lost wages and monies owned by collapsped company ANSETT,
it collected the money for years then waited years to pay it out keeping the intrest paid on the account for itself.
The Federal Government did provide a $A350 million loan (SEESA) which is being repaid by the Administrators at the same time as the staff are being repaid however, to ensure that there is no exposure to taxpayers, a $A10-per-seat levy was imposed by the Federal Government on Australian airline passengers. This has led to claims of "double dipping" by the Australian Government and a common misconception that former Ansett staff have been fully reimbursed.[14] As at December, 2010, former employees still have not been paid their full entitlements, and many employees have not had their superannuation funds released, causing problems for many former employees who have now reached retirement age.

This is what I have a beef about, the taxes are forever....even though they say they are for a time only. Bit like speed limits, they always go down, never up. Government won't be happy until we are all driving at 40kph everywhere.
That levy on airline tickets for the collapse of Ansett has never stopped and it has been years now.

This is what I have a beef about, the taxes are forever....even though they say they are for a time only. Bit like speed limits, they always go down, never up. Government won't be happy until we are all driving at 40kph everywhere.
That levy on airline tickets for the collapse of Ansett has never stopped and it has been years now.
Higher income council areas in South Australia impose a 40 kph speed limit on their roads just because they can. It gets really annoying that because people are rich they can affect all those people travelling through their streets just on the off chance that a 10 kph speed reduction will mean a much quieter street. Yet the same rich people living there would have sports cars that sound like a swarm of killer bees.

So you make about $160 000 per year and can't afford $850 for one year for the guys who lost everything?
Hmm.....

AGREED! if I was earning that much I don't think i'd miss $850. I'd just have to eat at home instead of that 5 star resturant, hire a movie to watch on my insanely huge TV instead of gold pass tickets at the cinema and pass up the $50 a bottle wine for the week!!!! Its us poor suckers on the low incomes who's COMBINED income falls in the Bi***es radar that will cop it, feel it and resent helping out beforehand when they weren't being taxed for it!

the money for these repairs should be coming from places like this

Retiring MPs to collect liftetime pension worth $26million collectively | Herald Sun

these guys have been raking it in for doing f all for years now they are given an income WELL WELL above the average aussie income its complete BS these people should be paying their own super to last retirement just like the rest of us have to.

i hate talking politics, they are such corrupt, greedy, hypocrites they have no real interest in helping us or the country they only care about helping them self by fing the rest of us over under the guise of helping us and the country.

So much for pitching in to help each other. Like the floods it slowly evaporates and the selfishness returns.

AGREED! if I was earning that much I don't think i'd miss $850. I'd just have to eat at home instead of that 5 star resturant, hire a movie to watch on my insanely huge TV instead of gold pass tickets at the cinema and pass up the $50 a bottle wine for the week!!!! Its us poor suckers on the low incomes who's COMBINED income falls in the Bi***es radar that will cop it, feel it and resent helping out beforehand when they weren't being taxed for it!

Well get of your lazy **** and go earn it then.
Then let me know if you will miss it c/w all other high end tax's you pay.
LOVE people who want everything and do nothing about it..........lol

I think the levy is a joke. I pay my fair share of taxes, why should i have to pay extra because the government can't manage its money? I don't care if its 10c a month or $100. People who think that an income of 150k makes you rich need to get a clue.

This government continues to remove incentive for people to study, work hard and progress their careers to be successful and earn more.

The biggest annoyance of this tax, how will the money be spent? Contractors will come in, charge 10x more than they usually would and laugh all the way to the bank.

Yes, its terrible what has happened up north and in Victoria and i do feel for the people that have been affected. Taxing the nation for the governments incompetence is not the answer.

A lot of low earners begrudge the high earners, but (not all) have worked their guts out to get there. They have done the hard yards at university and years of study.Obviously not every high earner went to uni. I was a low earner but was never prepared to do the hard yards so it is no use getting all bitter and twisted about it. I now don't have a job. :(

Well said Fay. We have to remember that the rich alread pay most of the tax. With out them what would we have. Now we want them to pay more? Seems a bit unfair... I think there are plenty of places in the government where they could find the funds rather than our back pockets. I get 9% super a government employee gets 19%... how about taking that extra 10% for a year and donating it to the floods....

Well get of your lazy **** and go earn it then.
Then let me know if you will miss it c/w all other high end tax's you pay.
LOVE people who want everything and do nothing about it..........lol
well said mate. i am a high income earner because i put in the hours.. my work does not pay me unless i do the hours. my base rate is low but i more than double it because i do double the hours.. but for to thank me the goverment tax me higher and then tell my ex that she is entitled to more because i worked so hard..go figure..

Let's have Speed Day (week...month...whatever), where we can fly around in our cars and the revenue collected from speed cameras can go directly to the flood victims!!! What a great idea! I'm ringing Joooolia! :p

ps: on the privso you don't loose any points! :D

Well said Fay. We have to remember that the rich alread pay most of the tax. With out them what would we have. Now we want them to pay more? Seems a bit unfair... I think there are plenty of places in the government where they could find the funds rather than our back pockets. I get 9% super a government employee gets 19%... how about taking that extra 10% for a year and donating it to the floods....

Maybe you could be the one to tell the cops, firies, ambos and defence forces this. They are the ones that were on the ground (and in the water and air) AND STILL ARE TO A BIG EXTENT. You will find that a large percentage of them already donated both time and money and continue to do so.

I risk my life at work for the country too... does that mean I should be getting paid more super annuation? My brother in law works overseas as a diplomat in a tax paid house, car, etc etc.. and also gets 19% super... so you think all the politicians and people behind the desk are entitled to 10% more super than the rest of the tax paying community? Ineresting view there dreamkiller...

ambo's firemen and police DON'T work behind a desk.infact most of the time they are out in the community rescuing saving and serving the public and rarely see any down time on stations. It's called frontline emergency management, usually in the hot zone of all major incidents.,hell yea we deserve it, i dont recall mentioning pen pushers or pollies .... speaking of interesting views.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back