Flood tax levy - thoughts.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the average Aussie doesn't like being dictated to. Lumping a tax…or levy as they are calling it…. (even as small as it is) seems like that. Removing a persons choice to volunteer funds (which most have already) doesn’t really fit the Australian mould. As a society we’ve always been more than generous in helping others in need. Be it here or overseas. I think the government leaning over and picking pockets is going a little too far. It might also have a negative effect on those who were thinking of donating further.

Personally I don’t mind one bit about the levy. But can understand completely why a few peoples backs are up about it.

well you quoted me and I said government employees... are you so challanged that you don't realise that goes beyond emergency services? Don't quote me and change the subject next time...

ambo's firemen and police DON'T work behind a desk.infact most of the time they are out in the community rescuing saving and serving the public and rarely see any down time on stations. It's called frontline emergency management, usually in the hot zone of all major incidents.,hell yea we deserve it, i dont recall mentioning pen pushers or pollies .... speaking of interesting views.......

My mate is works for MFB in melbourne he has heaps of down time and he said a lot of their call outs are just alarms anyway... I respect the people who make a career of these jobs, but thats what they are JOBS. My mate does it because he LOVES it. I'm sure that's why the others do it too.

Aslo there were hundreds trying to get into the firebrigade when he tried out. He was very lucky to get in and I think it was the fire technology study he had done that got him through in the end. Whilst we are greatful for the service they provide there are no shortages of Australians trying to get jobs in the MFB. So where would we be with out them? We wouldn't cause people are lining up trying to get the same job. To be honest they get off on the lifestyle.

I have friends who lost their house in the floods. I'm not a big fan of door knockers, but those Mormons turned up and helped clean out his whole house. They didn't even know him. I think it's groups like that who give of their own unpaid time (and I'm sure there are heaps of rotary clubs etc doing it up there too) to help those in need, with no reward that are the true Australian heroes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am fairly certain emergency service workers get a fair amount of down time. My Dad is a fireman his wife a paramedic and his brother a cop all they talk about is how they have nothing to do at work........ I go there and only once out of the many times had there been a call out and it was just a cake that set off the alarm... Not to mention most of firemen I know are complete children messing with each others urine samples most paramedics I have come to know love to party and most cops I have come to know are pretty lax. The Firemen have that much time on their hands they are constantly coming up with ways to prank each other. Some of the tricks are really pretty funny. The levy is probably going to be eliminated to those who donated as they get tax deductions for donations which means if you donated then you will wind up the same (depending on how much you donated).

challenged. nice. lets hop u don't get a "challenged" paramedic when u need one. so we have a difference of opinion, but name calling .... really????? :rolleyes:

We already pay enough taxes with the expectations that the government will put enough funds away for situations like this.... How about donating 6 months of speed camera fines to the cause instead.

ill speed once or twice for that cause

Hopefully I get my next door neighbour then. The best para in Australia, and he's not challanged in anyway :)
I never name called, I simply stated the facts on your comprehension of my original statement. Name calling would be things like fool, idiot, etc.. No one ever say's "Hey Challanged?" when name calling...... Just doesn't make sense.
I think if you were to re-read my post I asked a question which is also not name calling. Anyways I think I have my answer now. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
We already pay enough taxes with the expectations that the government will put enough funds away for situations like this.... How about donating 6 months of speed camera fines to the cause instead.

good idea, then only the idiots have to pay.

i dont know why i read this thread... i knew i would just hate whinging australians even more.
we live in stable first world county with low tax and most of us have a life so comfortable compared to the rest of the world.
you pack of sooks.

i dont know why i read this thread... i knew i would just hate whinging australians even more.
we live in stable first world county with low tax and most of us have a life so comfortable compared to the rest of the world.
you pack of sooks.

Well said.

you pack of sooks.

I'm with you.

There is also a thread on here about a BBQ that the sook's may like to look at.
It's about positive Aussies doing what they can, a must read.

Last edited:
So Julia was quick to abandon the super tax idea that was going to tax mining SUPER PROFITS but has no problem wacking a tax on us guys who are working our nuts off just to get by! hhhmm I wonder who has shares in the big mining companies?!!, I sure cant afford them.

you pack of sooks.
One of the greatest things about our government is out right to complain. I am not complaining but I am saying they are aloud to.

Jack, don't tell me - you From England? Low tax? 45% highest marginal tax rate, 2.5% Medicare levy for high income earners, 10% GST - that sounds like around 57.5% tax, not including sales tax, import tax etc, etc. Work 5 days a week and the government will take about 4 days income as tax. We are such a lucky country. I dream about supporting those of you that pay little if not nothing towards Australia.

Before we start getting into a urinating contest - and I'm sure you make a lot more than I do, we Aussies are not sooks, we just don't take too kindly to people telling us that we have to do something. We're big enough to decide what we have to do ourselves.

you pack of sooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back