Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedButcheress

Reaction score
Hello All, I'm a newbie to both this chat forum and the world of snakes and reptiles.
My best buddy Ilona and myself have always loved reptiles and decided we would invest in some.
She wants a Snake.
and I want a Dragon.
Now for the Silly Questions.

Ilona wants a snake that will get to be as thick at my wrist (or anyone's at that) and around 2-4 m, what kinda snake would that be... and no I'm not letting her get a scrub python... (I saw two snakes kill my dog so I'm a wee bit frightened of snakes and will probably take me awhile to get use to them.

Second question What would be a good dragon for a beginner? I looked after a dragon that my cat almost digested... and now he is king of my mothers garden and still chases her... heehee never liked my mum.

Third question. we have quite a menagerie going on, two red rump birds, three siamese fighting fish, two rats how will a dragon and a snake be around these guys. a breeder told ilona to always wash her hands after playing with birds or rats before touching the snake (which is obvious duh) but then a friend (who I dislike...) said that just the smell of the rats and birds will drive the snake nuts. is this true?

Thanks HEAPS

Elle (red butcheress)

1st a good large snake would be an Olive python they generally are more plasid than the grummy scrub pythons.

2nd best dragon by far would be the Central bearded dragons for beginners

3rd as long as to dont keep them intogether they will be fine, wash your hands before moving onto the next animals and if you keep their enclosures clean the smell shouldnt be a problem

Well!
On this site I'm quite sure you'll be getting a multitude of opinions thrown at you, so kudos on picking this community to ask questions at.
**although I must stress that you make up your own mind on what you decide after taking in a number of other people's advice. There's not one singular source that has all the right answers :wink:

First off welcome to the herping world :)

Secondly, a good beginner snake that gets around that size would be a diamond python, inland (murray darling) carpet, or coastal carpet. They all get around the size you're after.
There are also some great easy to care for snakes such as childrens pythons and spotted pythons that don't quite get as big, but are excellent for beginners :)

As for dragons, I'm not sure if you can go past a bearded dragon for a beginner species :wink:

Yes you should always wash your hands before and after handling your snakes. If you're worried about the smell of your other pets upsetting your snake, just keep them in a different room :wink: Although I don't think you'd have any trouble's keeping the birds and snakes in the same room (I could be wrong) as both would be securely in their enclosures.

Erm I think that's about it. Couple of last things: There's no such thing as a silly question! Always always ask if you're not sure. Thise site as a great search function which you can use to search for popular information from old threads.
Lastly, have you thought about how you will house the reptiles when you get them?

Anyways, welcome to the site, hope I've helped some. :)

i would have to agree with the bearded dragon as a great first dragon. and as for snakes i would say coastal, murray/darlings, or even bredli. welsome to the site

Well I dunno how thick your wrists are but I'd probably consider drastic wrist reduction surgery if they were as thick as an Olive python or even a large carpet python! :lol: ;)

Seriously though, if we're talking pythons (which I'm assuming we are for a beginner) you're probably either looking at a carpet python of some sort or a Children's python. Or even 2 children's pythons stuck together :p. Generally the longer they are, the thicker they are. I think BHP's may be a bit skinnier than the equivalent in a carpet but they're probably not the best beginner snake...correct me if I'm wrong peoples cos I haven't had the pleasure of owning any yet!

Anyway, I'd go with what Vat69 said, a Diamond, Murray Darling or a coastal. It all depends on what tickles your fancy lol.

Thanks so much, thanks all for being so friendly the next question is who is a good breeder in QLD??

I have some coastal carpets on the south side of brisbane.

Go with a Coastal if you want something that will get a decent size, otherwise a true Childreni is the go.
Central bearded dragon, without a doubt.
As long as your personal hygene is up to scratch, Q3 is not a worry.
Q4 Me but I'm not in Qld :)

Welcome aboard and I bet this time next year you own more than 1 herp :)

Welcome to the site Elle.

Q1. Diamond Python
Q2. Central Bearded Dragon
Q3. Not a worry (just don't keep them all together ;) :) :) )

I have only been into Reptiles for about 16 months and my first snake was a Diamond Python (still have him) and my first lizards were Central Bearded Dragons (and they are now breeding). I also have a coastal carpet and a childrens. All beautiful snakes for beginners. Good luck. I am sure you will get many different answers :) :)

my first snake was a Diamond Python (still have him) and my first lizards were Central Bearded Dragons (and they are now breeding). I also have a coastal carpet and a childrens. All beautiful snakes for beginners. Good luck.

You got a coastal AND a childrens? Nice snakes? Good breeder? who was he?

Yes, I have a coastal and a Childrens as well. Beautiful Snakes, from an exceptional breeder. His name is AFRICANFISHDUDE :) :)

There you go mate, that will be $10 for that plug :) :)

Pike.... Where are you based?? (suburb?)...

Redbutcheress... I know someone at Sunnybank that has Coastals.. I have two of his and I have not had any problems at all with them.

Email me if you like... [email protected]

Sweet thank you allll sooo much! well we found a breeder through all things reptiles in manly, she's Carpet python well she could be a he, not sexed...yet....
Shes/Hes a hatchling still and its so cute and tiny at the moment (we get it in a couple of weeks) so how are carpets? give me the low-down

Oh still looking for a dragon (saw a HUGE dragon in the backyard yesterday contemplated grabing it and keeping it but thought against it (joking)

what type of carpet python, all moreliasare carpets, and all of them are good first snakes beside gtp of course. i have a hatchy coastal carpet and he is great they settle in fast and make great pets. have you got an enclosure ready for it yet? make sure it is small so the snake isnt stressed and it will help it feed easier. well done and i cant wait to see some pictures.

I have two Coastal Carpets....Now nearly a year old and they have never bitten me.... One of them has stuck at me but didnt bite or break skin. I have never had any problem with them feeding... They were given to me as hatchlings eating live(knocked out) young mice.... But I started them on thawed frozen mice and have never had a knock back. I am now looking at expanding my collection..... to what I dont know... But more Coastals with different shades and patterns is on the cards...

I also have a Coastal that is 10 months old. Has only bitten once and that was on first day we got her. Never had a problem feeding either mice or rats, always eats whatever is offered. We are now looking to get a second coastal.

We also have a Stimsons python, which would be coming up to a year old, and it has never bitten and feeds perferctly. They are a bit dearer than a carpet, but do not grow as big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back