Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus what the hell is with all this kiwi bashing...and why the hell do people automatically assume kiwis want snakes over there..sheesh!

Why would NZ be a good place to smuggle too? Most ppl don't even think about owning snakes.......because we don't have any! Where is proof of this 'market'?
And yes the climate etc. is no good for them so no worries they would die in the wild anyway...a hot summers day in AKL is 28 deg.

MAF DO do a good job, which is why NZ is one of the most bio-secure countries there is...I kinda know as I lived there for 30 years.....do you see cane toads and other destructive exotic crap running around in NZ...I don't think so.

For the record..MAF had the MOST power over anything not human comming into the country I can assure you, after years working at the AKL Intl Airpoprt.

Also nothing personal but I don't think some pocket lint really equates to mass exotic animal smuggling..but each to their own I guess.

Like I initially said...if someone want sit bad enough then they will make it happen, but just have a good think about what is actually involved and the specific implications.

My rant over...Kiwicam out.

Kiwi... I am too but of the same blood, doing 32 years in Aotearoa...

2000 - Snakeskin discovered in Auckland Central.... hmmmm.. 2 months before someone owned up that it was infact part of a fancy dress costume...

Ants... ants and more ants... from argentina...

Spiders in supermarkets selling grapes..

Ahhh... the black widow.... I saw it with my own two eyes in Lincoln!

A scorpian stung a british tourist at Akld International....

Biosecure??? hehe... Im not dissing it I promise Kiwi.. I love my homeland as much as any other... I'm just saying it's not infallible... It's a disaster waiting to happen... Sorry dude... i really aren't cutting in on what a sterling job you would have done for MAF... And over non-human Customs and MAF did the greatest job... but it's not perfect...

Ahhh... recall the apple stealing incident the chinese delegates were walking out of NZ with apple cuttings... hehe.. they got nabbed...

Education... it's all about education.. And hopefully we can give it to them...

Sorry Kiwi.. wasn't trying to upset you (forgive???)

Talk later... over a nice cool Macs... ahhh.. Nelson, home of the greatest...

My rant on. (you got my PM I hope) Cam you can't tell me that there would not be, in any way, shape or form any privately held collections in NZ. Of course there would be.

my rant off

Shamous, yes you are right, my cars and other items of household goods are insurable. However, there are specific items like jewellery and artwork that are not covered and are worth far more than MY herps. You can insure these items, just as you can insure your herps if you are willing to pay a hefty premium (like 10% plus of the value of each item). I have had most of these items for more than 10 years so I am in front and but would still certainly not want them stolen. There are also many sentimental items that just could never be replaced.

I was really trying to point out that if someone turned up at my house with a pistol and all they wanted was my snakes they could help themselves to them. And then I would probably also follow Darren down the path of leaving the hobby. But I dont have 9 GTP's at my house.

Education... it's all about education.. And hopefully we can give it to them...

Sorry Kiwi.. wasn't trying to upset you (forgive???)

Talk later... over a nice cool Macs... ahhh.. Nelson, home of the greatest...

Slim6y - Make it a Speights and it's all good. Don't worry i didn't work for MAF - AirNZ, but NZ is holding up pretty well to exotic crap taking hold. Yea you get the odd incident...but hey i think it is going pretty well, ppl can agree to disagree :lol: .

Shamous1 - rgr, received. And I have said from the start that if ppl want it bad enuf then it will happen, so yea some pple will have private collections...doesn't mean that MAF, customs, police et.c won't be looking for them!!!!

Macs is brewed in Nelson.. Speights.. Dunedin beer brewed in.. hehe... I like the agree to disagree thing... Well... imagine what a GTP could do in NZ, in the Waitakere ranges.... would desimate the rat population.. and the flightless birds...

Change insurance cover

Shamous, yes you are right, my cars and other items of household goods are insurable. However, there are specific items like jewellery and artwork that are not covered and are worth far more than MY herps. You can insure these items, just as you can insure your herps if you are willing to pay a hefty premium (like 10% plus of the value of each item). I have had most of these items for more than 10 years so I am in front and but would still certainly not want them stolen. There are also many sentimental items that just could never be replaced.

I was really trying to point out that if someone turned up at my house with a pistol and all they wanted was my snakes they could help themselves to them. And then I would probably also follow Darren down the path of leaving the hobby. But I dont have 9 GTP's at my house.

I'd be changing insurance cover as our bling bling is all covered and so are our pictures, figurines etc etc.

When you find an insurance company that has the experience to deal with reptiles and to value them etc etc let me know. Cos there is none around that I know of.

I might start up my own insurance company for herps. :shock:

Macs is brewed in Nelson.. Speights.. Dunedin beer brewed in.. hehe... I like the agree to disagree thing... Well... imagine what a GTP could do in NZ, in the Waitakere ranges.... would desimate the rat population.. and the flightless birds...

Ooooh it's on now..you got something to say about Speights...huh..huh..do ya :twisted: ...Lol. There is no other beer!! (check my forum label) Although Macs certainly is nice, Speight treats me well after 2 dozen or so, and I can still buy it over here! Sweet.

GTP in the waitaks - it wouldn't last a week I would say from what I have read!
There is an ocean of difference between 'Tropical Forest Region' and 'Waitakere Ranges', I wish there wasn't for all the times we were tramping through them! See may GTP's in Tasmania by the way?
But hey this isn't an 'Aussie Snakes in NZ' thread

Shamous, ring your insurer and thell them you have a $25,000 piece of artwork and ask if it is covered. I work very closely with insurance brokers and can guarantee you that items like that are not covered in general policies. They are restricted to values of a couple of thousand per item. As for herps. A post was made here a few months ago asking for expressions of interest in going to Lloyds to get insurance. Only two people replied. And yes, it is available but you need to be insuring at least $10k worth of herps and the premium will be over $1,000 for a $10k collection. Did you PM the person who wroite that thread? I dont know much about airlines mate but I do know insurance :)

Stop

Ooooh it's on now..you got something to say about Speights...huh..huh..do ya :twisted: ...Lol. There is no other beer!! (check my forum label) Although Macs certainly is nice, Speight treats me well after 2 dozen or so, and I can still buy it over here! Sweet.

GTP in the waitaks - it wouldn't last a week I would say from what I have read!
There is an ocean of difference between 'Tropical Forest Region' and 'Waitakere Ranges', I wish there wasn't for all the times we were tramping through them! See may GTP's in Tasmania by the way?
But hey this isn't an 'Aussie Snakes in NZ' thread

Can you guys stop talking about beer please. It's just correct at this time of the morning.:evil:

especially when I am stuck in the house and have none.

Stolen GTPs

Coils (Darren Boswell) wrote I can also tell you that my permit number which was posted as per SA law on the herp trader with my ad for 2 yearlings was the link that confirmed to the theif that I had the animals. The ad went up on the 3/10.

I thought you were on a 12 month self imposed quarantine??????????????
I feel very sorry for your wife & kids though!

KAMA KAMA KAMA

And thought I explained to you that my GTPs were never in any question when it came to that issue. You are a class act Lapins theres no doubt about it. How can you make statements like this knowing what we had been through. Ask any of the people on here who have my babies what they think of them. Youre making me feel much better about no longer being a part of this ridiculous scene.
How do I now cancel my subscription to this site? Can anyone let me know please? I only wanted t alert other keepers and get the information about what happened out there to the people who matter but I will not take this.

To the decent people on this list, thank you for your comments and thoughts, to the rest of you, I hope this never happens to you.

Darren.

Look after yourself Coils. I don't know you or the full details but no one deserves to be held up at gun point by a coward with too much testosterone.

I agree Darren , it was a low comment to make. All the best for the future.

MAF DO do a good job, which is why NZ is one of the most bio-secure countries there is...I kinda know as I lived there for 30 years.....do you see cane toads and other destructive exotic crap running around in NZ...I don't think so.

I was always lead to believe that NZ had no native mammals whatsoever (except for a small species of bat). Last time I was there, the place was crawling with warm blooded beasties, so to say it is "bio-secure" is hardly a "choice" term??

Sorry to add to the off-topic debate, and I hope Darren and his family recover from such a horrible event.

I once had 30 funnel web spiders stolen...I had just finished collecting them for a venom researcher and had them loose in damp leaf litter and moss in the panniers of my motor bike...neither the spiders or the bike were ever recovered...and the police were absolutely no help at all...

Richard Wells

Darren,

You might be interested to know that there was an email from the DSE read out at last nights VHS meeting with specific details on what was stolen and what to do if you thought you were being offered any of the animals. The committee of the VHS added that if anybody wanted to anonymously provide information that they could do so through them and thy would pass it on.

I really hope that these guys do get caught. There is no room in this hobby for people of that ilk!

Darren,

You might be interested to know that there was an email from the DSE read out at last nights VHS meeting with specific details on what was stolen and what to do if you thought you were being offered any of the animals. The committee of the VHS added that if anybody wanted to anonymously provide information that they could do so through them and thy would pass it on.

I really hope that these guys do get caught. There is no room in this hobby for people of that ilk!

It was really good the way the VHS team informed everyone last night. They stressed the importance of either contacting DSE in VIC or even the VHS directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back