Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotchbo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was just reading a thread pythonkisses posted bout it would be a good idea to see what got everyone hooked on herp's so i thought i would make one up hope u dont mind pythonkisses anyway i hope everyone responds?

I got addicted to pythons from my mate who owned a 6foot long diamond python and a water dragon
I got hooked from day one and eventually i bought a coastal carpet hatchie called Lilo and just recently i bought another coastal carpet python called stitch and tomorrow i am buying a diamond python hatchie.
So that's my short story and i hope other people add some more on.

i got a pair of beardie's when i was 5 then i got i water pythona year later but it was from a dodgy person and died 1 weeks later and so did the beardy's because i guess it spread (i was to young didnt really know what was going on)
i was always intrested in animal more specific reptile and birds
then i didnt own any reptiles agaiin until i moved up to the NT 4 years ago n a new pet shop opened up n it had snake and i got my big boy male coastal monty from there and now my colection is expandin (same year i got here)

good idea and i have always wondered how other people got into it
i started by getting my lic to get some birds , then seeing on the paperwork i could get the gtf i have always wanted since i was a kid to then getting a few lizards to then getting into snakes
so the birds were my gateway drug :lol: :lol:

lol good stuff i ahve the bug bad i bought my first snake on the 30march then the next one on april 25th so ihavnt been collecting very long but im am loving owning snakes and one day hop eto have some good looking snakes

I always had an interest in Reptiles. I guesse i just met the right people and got the animals i have today. But yes it is a very addictive hobby.

My family has always had animals like dogs, cats and fish. My mum's parents and sister lived on farms, my dad's dad was a vet. Then after I left school and started working I was introduced to a guy who had a couple diamonds, a coastal carpet, 3 waters dragons, 3 beardies and some green tree frogs. It was at that point that I knew what I wanted to keep, I used to go around there all the time and handle his dragons and pythons, until i started to buy my own a few years ago. Now I have 6 pythons, 5 beardies and 3 turtles.

i hvae always liked lizards and had them and mum said leave it at them then when i went to a local festival that's on every year that had a wildlife display and i used to hold the snakes and stuff and then last year i joined the club that runs the display and when my mum seen my mates snake (regi ) she said there not too bad so then i decided to get one (well she let me ) and then tha's it and now i have 2 !

as a kid me and my brothers used to find turtles crossing the road sometimes as we lived near a creek and wed take them home a keep them for a week or so then let them go again and i was always interested in dinosaurs then a few years back a friend of my cousins who'd always had snakes let me see his collection and i sent away for my licence the same day.

i worked at australia zoo.

that was enough to put me on herps for life, and put me off irwin for life.

i went to visit my mum, dad and brother, my mum and brother have snakes, when i come home i sent away for licence, i was hooked

lols gee i wish i could work at the aust zoo i have always wanted to wark at the zoo and will def keep on my studies towards it ! was it good ?

as a kid,in the olden days, i used to go down the creek and bring home tadpoles in a jar.i found a realy stinky turtle once and brought ut home on the bus.i stunk the bus out and was kicked off. ihad that stinky turtle for about 15 years.guess what his name was.....wayne....

lols gee i wish i could work at the aust zoo i have always wanted to wark at the zoo and will def keep on my studies towards it ! was it good ?

the smiles on the workers are fakes, hardly anyone there is happy about working there, most stay for their love of the animals. its all politics at that joint. and unless your in their "web of immunity" (part of the chief staff) your cannon fodder as soon as you makes the tinyest mistake.

My main interest initially was amphibians, green tree frogs in particular. However it's only been about 4yrs since I got switched onto snakes, and only then because I wasn't aware of the avenues that could be taken to acquire them. It was a hell of a battle to get around my wifes "phobia" of them, but she's finally come round (still won't handle anything though lol). Got to be one of the easiest animals I've ever cared for (once you get the environment right for them).

I'm originally from Queensland, so finding reps and frogs was never an issue. My idol in my earlier years was Harry Bulter, and I guess I've always admired what he tried to teach & inform people about animals via his documentaries.

My folks own a property in Eumundi and it was never short of the odd red belly black (one of my fav elapids), so I guess I never had a hope of escaping the mysterious captivation of them. And since living in Victoria I've found a new respect and facination for Tigersnakes - I think the beauty about most herps is just when you think you got it all sorted, something new and different raises its head and grabs your interest.

I think the beauty about most herps is just when you think you got it all sorted, something new and different raises its head and grabs your interest.

top remark. so true.

Crap and i wanted to work there. owell looks like no australia zoo for luke. I HATE POLITICS

i've heard alma park and a few of the bird sancs are quite good to work for.

but oz zoo has just become the hollywood of zoo's :roll:

yer very true. Well ive worked with birds aswell so maybe i should try a sanctuary. thanks guys

no wuckers.

oz zoo actually has a volunteer program (that unless your a celeb you have to do before they'll offer you a job) so maybe it'd be worth doing that for a while to make up your own mind. beware though - you may volunteer there for years before job placement, and they treat you exactly the same, even though your working there for free!? (however noobs usually get a smooth ride for the first few months)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back