Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a local triodia (spinifex). Dries to yellow but will hold it's form indefinitely. Some say it's too spiky, but I've never had any probs with small monitors, they even hunt in it.

Attachments

• Gillens in triodia 002.jpg
    Gillens in triodia 002.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Gillens cage 2 002.jpg
    Gillens cage 2 002.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Gillens cage 2 003.jpg
    Gillens cage 2 003.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 138
  • tristis enclosure 004.jpg
    tristis enclosure 004.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 140
Thats awesome! What are you keeping in that set up and how big is it?? It looks huge!

- - - Updated - - -

Is some of that living/freshly put in or has it retained the slight greeness?

Yeh some places sell quarry sand which is dyed red. It stains your animals skins. Plain washed kids play sand from bunnings is the best stuff (only outmatched by red natrually dessert sand for ascetic reasons) . It holds moisture really well and doesn't clump up when it gets wet and than dries. @imported-varanus what is that grass in the back of the gilleni set up? Looks great!

I agree with you there, CrazyNut. I use the washed sand from Bunnings for my Netted Dragons. It's not dusty and holds moisture reasonably well. I don't particularly like the colour but I've made it look quite alright by mixing it up with dried plants and rocks. Pet shop reptile sand on the other hand is awful in my opinion.

IV, those are some great set ups!

And here's one more picture from me. I'll be doing new set ups for them soon so that should be fun.

Griffon2.jpg

Thats awesome! What are you keeping in that set up and how big is it?? It looks huge!

- - - Updated - - -

Is some of that living/freshly put in or has it retained the slight greeness?

Cheers CN:). Only 1200mm long, but 800mm wide, both for odatria, gillens and tristis. The two middle pics are about a week old, the upper and lower, several months.

I agree with you there, CrazyNut. I use the washed sand from Bunnings for my Netted Dragons. It's not dusty and holds moisture reasonably well. I don't particularly like the colour but I've made it look quite alright by mixing it up with dried plants and rocks. Pet shop reptile sand on the other hand is awful in my opinion.

IV, those are some great set ups!

And here's one more picture from me. I'll be doing new set ups for them soon so that should be fun.

View attachment 318809
I use it in my netteds tank as well! Its eassy to clean as well. Yeh the only downside is its white and doesn't look that great but it can be made to look nice with some nice decoration. I suppose if you had costal species that may be found on beach's it woukd look awesome as well.
[MENTION=41911]imported-varanus[/MENTION] really? That small??? Those branches looks like they are really thick and heavy! Ypu have done really well with that set up! You have multiple species in the same tank? How is that going? Never thought of putting two or more monitor species together.

Apologies, two separate enclosures, Gillens in one, tristis in the other, at the time. I no longer keep either species, now housing Rosie juvies.

Attachments

• IMG_7891.jpg
    IMG_7891.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 182
a4b200402501d3c336a30223931718d3.jpg

And I got a Flavi. This is Harriot, balancing with her noggin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanna get flavi's they are awesome. If I get my advanced I'm also looking at brevicauda, scalaris or mitchelli. Gahh gahh on brevicauda and mitchelli!!

Flavi's are great. Our two are real characters.

I've found them to be the most entertaining and they definitely have their own personalities too.

I wanna get flavi's they are awesome. If I get my advanced I'm also looking at brevicauda, scalaris or mitchelli. Gahh gahh on brevicauda and mitchelli!!

Hehe. We are getting some Gillens tomorrow! Cute little dudes! I can't wait!

Gillens and storrs are two of my favourite smaller monitors. I've never seen a Mitchelli in captivity, but I so want to kidnap Smittiferous' mangrove monitor. :D

Gillens and storrs are two of my favourite smaller monitors. I've never seen a Mitchelli in captivity, but I so want to kidnap Smittiferous' mangrove monitor. :D

She is a gorgeous little thing, so I don't blame you!!

I have seen a couple mitchelli in captivity (not in person though). Gorgeous things. Haha I have a little storrs, they are cool! Mangroves are really expensive, I'd get one if ot wasn't for yhe price tage of them (plus their waterproof enclosure).

[MENTION=40362]CrazyNut[/MENTION] enclosure requirements aren't too dissimilar from mertens, if you're concerned about moisture ingression from humidity, just tank the whole thing with pond sealer... Mine's currently in a simple box (until it grows a little more) with gravel, hides, fake ferny type thing and a cat litter tray I appropriated (new, not used of course...) as a small pond, with a canister filter running into it:

7c56b588ef87a97fb0014454fbaf4aa6.jpg

On the subject of flavis, I gave George a hammock, for something else do do.

508d993162f298f381bcb6c844808b3b.jpg

Meanwhile...

cee48bea3198e9394912095ba4abea08.jpg

3fc4287197ad951143ed8f48d469fc0c.jpg

d5043ffffbb7857b39605c3b7461ce2a.jpg

They're so adorably fragile. I didn't think they'd be so tiny!

Last edited:
Yeh but mertens don't cost $1400 + the cost of a sealed enclsoure. Mertens will cost $1400 at most with a sealed enclosure lol. Nice gilleni and flavi btw

[MENTION=40362]CrazyNut[/MENTION] I'll admit the only way I was able to afford mine was a bonus from my boss paid a week before the expo, for looking after his business when he disappeared to Thailand for two weeks... I'm tipping there will be some more at the next VHS expo, still a ways away, got a piggy bank? :D

Back