Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@CrazyNut I'll admit the only way I was able to afford mine was a bonus from my boss paid a week before the expo, for looking after his business when he disappeared to Thailand for two weeks... I'm tipping there will be some more at the next VHS expo, still a ways away, got a piggy bank? :D
Yeh I do, its called a bank account lol and yes there will be. Haberfeild reptiles will have them again as they do every year. Tbh I would rather spend my money on other varanus species lol.

"Varanus gouldii venitianblindii"

7a8435d751a4a92992bf8df9e19a0640.jpg

8a14c37864799e4704ef98ccfc73ad7d.jpg
.. so my ridgey.... now at night sits in the water and wont head to her hide.. i have drained a lot of the water out but i am afraid she will sleep and drown.. thoughts/ideas??

Why does it have so much water? It's an ackie not a water monitor. How about you set it up with just a small water bowl, especially because it looks like a juvenile. They don't need much water because they get most of it through their food.

Why does it have so much water? It's an ackie not a water monitor. How about you set it up with just a small water bowl, especially because it looks like a juvenile. They don't need much water because they get most of it through their food.
The enclosure was to originally house something else.. but i ended up putting her in there.. i will take more water out and also add rocks so she can't submerge herself... also thanks for your input its appreciated

I'd suggest taking all the water out and fill the whole thing with dirt/sand or whatever substrate. Add rocks and hides, then just place a small bowl of water in there. They don't need to submerged themselves in it, I'm sure someone else will tell you otherwise, but they don't. In the wild they get water from the dew on plants and from their food.

Think your ackie wishes to be a water monitor lol. I agree with Aussie_monitors 100%, even though the juvis can be prone to dehydration, a deep waterdish is def not neccessary nor is it practicle. On the plus side your little fella is pretty nice looking!

Unless it's coming up for a shed, that is unusual behaviour. We have a water bowl large enough for them to climb into if desired, but shallow enough so they won't drown. Have seen our guys sit in the water bowl from time to time, usually if they are shedding.

Well i started to drain the water from the enclosure and the lil **** saw a opportunity to shoot up the drain and wiring holes i had in the back of the cement background.. now i cant get her to come out.... i cant pull the enclosure apart its well made and has 80kg of cement and mesh over it... should i just wait and hope she reappears?? Turn up the heating? I have tried enticing her with food with no luck.. how long can she hold out without food water etc??

Last edited:
If she isn't stuck she will come out when she is ready. I would get onto blocking her entrance as soon as she is out of there. The thing is she now knows she can hide there and you can't get to her.

Tempt her out with a nice pinky mouse? Just leave it in her enclosure, her belly will get the better of her eventually.
Have done so matey, also have a temp set up ready for her when she reappears.. then i shall make the necessary changes to the enclosure.. not 100% happy with the lighting & heating.. also once i have cleaned her new hides and plants that will add to her feeling safe and sound.. appreciate all the advice and thoughts.. so glad i found this forum site

Have done so matey, also have a temp set up ready for her when she reappears.. then i shall make the necessary changes to the enclosure.. not 100% happy with the lighting & heating.. also once i have cleaned her new hides and plants that will add to her feeling safe and sound.. appreciate all the advice and thoughts.. so glad i found this forum site ������

How'd you go with the little one?

Hope so.. sooner rather than later.. i miss the lil girl running around. I was making so much progress and trust towards her too...

Has she emerged yet?

91de42b3e79e6fa570d8b629f160c2f0.jpg

She's a little character this Harriot. [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@stompy nothing :( i am considering turning the heat way up and having her become active and hopefully forcing her hand and making her come out.. i have been reading up on the net and the stories are so conflicting....wait n see..

Back