Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am a 30 something wife and mother from Adelaide SA. After years of pleading...the hubby has finally given in to my desire to own a snake! Sooo...here starts my journey. Im looking for advice, and hopefully in the not to distant future I too will be a snake owner!

I had my heart set on an Olive....untill I found out how big they get...now im open to suggestions. I am a complete novice...who has just a love for snakes and not alot of knowledge in terms of owning one! So be nice....please! Would love to talk to fellow Adelaideans.

Welcome, Defiant :)

If you're prepared to spend the cash, I would personally recommend either a woma, or a black-headed python as a first snake. If you're worried about size, I believe that a Tanami woma is the best looking Australian python which has a small average adult length (4-5ft) and aren't known for being tempermental.

Best of luck with everything, Defiant.

Hello and Welcome to APS.

It's totally up to you as to which snake you get as your first - Just depends on that you can cope with the size of the adult snake and that you'd be comfortable with it.

Some people have suggested: Stimson Pythons, Spotted Pythons, Childrens Pythons, Bredli, Murray Darling Carpet Pythons, Jungle Pythons and the list goes on and on for a first snake.

Just remember - Regardless of how many people say a certain species is most placid, You still have to expect to cop of a bite or 2.

Good luck with your decision.

Welcome to APS.

I've heard lots of people say Childrens Pythons and Carpet Pythons are the best starters.

I agree. Woma and Blackhead are great snakes to handle and they have atractive look also.

Welcome in our community.

Welcome to APS.

I've heard lots of people say Childrens Pythons and Carpet Pythons are the best starters.

My first snake was Stimson Python - I have to say that she was probably the best first snake that I could of gotten, had a strong feeding response, easy to handle and didn't snap or attempt to bite me. Plus they don't grow large max out at 100cm average is around 80cm so I've read but I don't really mind.

A recent picture of her, she is 10 months old:

000_0015-3.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome! Ahhhh sooo many differing views!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Ahhhh sooo many differing views!

Like I said, it's 100% upto you as to which snake you get as a first snake - Some people might help to guide you in the right directon, but at the end of the day it's your choice and if you're happy and the snake is healthy that is all that matters.

Welcome Defient, you will meet a lot of Dags in this APS & alot of lossers ( Yes they know who they are HEY GUYS!! )

But youll luv them all.. :)

Or hate them either way works for me............lol

Anyway WELCOME AGAIN :)

my first snake was a diamond,,
they get about 9ft, but takes ages for them to get that big
you can probz pick up a hatchie for around $300-600
heres some pics of my dimaonds
missy:
reps204.jpg

reps220.jpg

missys crib (we have light cages aswell now):
scar-1.jpg

and this is jewlz ( she is missing atm lol)
the diamond is the one up the top too the right, the other snake thier is a coastal
herps.210.jpg

reps182.jpg

and if you want a stimmie, heres my best mates one (not a very good pic)
dylansspicssnakeanturtles039.jpg

sorry about the big pics lol

cheers dylan

cheers dylan.

all of the above! Its going to be a hard decision. Perhaps Im just envious at so many!

Welcome Defiant. Good to see another South Aussie :D (what area are you in, north, south, east west?) and awesome to hear your hubby has relented to your wish to have a snake. One is never enough, as you will hear lots of people saying!! I agree, if you have the money, womas are a wonderful choice of snake. I love my two to pieces. I also have a Diamond, another beautiful snake to own. Do your research and pick one that appeals to you, whatever you chose, you won't regret it. You will meet some wonderful people on APS too.

im North tempest....i need to be a little conservative in the money stakes.....hes just warmed to the idea....dont want to scare him away!

welcome!!!
i always thought children/stimmies/spotted pythons were good first snakes and also md's are good too.whatever u choose just make sure its all healthy and ur happy with what u choose.cause really that all that matters!
once again welcome to APS,i know u will learn ALOT from theses great people

hahah if he met some womas he wouldn't care how much they cost he'd be converted ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back