Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our BHP. She has not laid yet and had the worst shed that she has ever had. She always sheds perfectly and I am not going to disturb her.

Attachments

• P1010207.jpg
    P1010207.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 67
I am really enjoying this thread, but I have one 'newbie' question....
What exactly are you referring to as 'slugs' & 'pre-lay' etc?
I am not a breeder so haven't experienced this before...

'slugs' are eggs that are infertile.

'Pre-lay' is a shed they have before they lay eggs.

Fay, is there away we could have this as a sticky as there is loads of pic's for the newbies to keep checking on and heaps of info. thank you

First girl is due for pre-lay shed, second girl is due in a few weeks
View attachment 171874View attachment 171873
pencil.png

I think my girl is due for her pre lay in a few days, she is nowhere near the size of your girls. Is this the first year for either of the two you have pictured? It is the first year my female has become gravid. she isn't lumpy yet, but has definitely gotten a bit of girth to her.... I will get a pic on this afternoon....

DSC00621.jpgDSC00610.jpgDSC00618.jpg

2 of the females that laid this morning and half of the clutch from a 3rd female. still havnt counted but the around 40-50 eggs laid with 6 slugs total

still waiting for a bredli that is coming up to her pre lay and 2 cape york carpets that are due to lay in a week or two

Good Lord, those eggs are huge. Congratulations Affroalex. I am glad to see we have somebody that is succesful with this species. I have been thinking about getting a few captive bred hatchlings for a while now.

I think my girl is due for her pre lay in a few days, she is nowhere near the size of your girls. Is this the first year for either of the two you have pictured? It is the first year my female has become gravid. she isn't lumpy yet, but has definitely gotten a bit of girth to her.... I will get a pic on this afternoon....

the pic of the first girl was hatched in 1998 and breed for the first time last year and had 21eggs,
the pic of the second girl hatched in 2004 and breed for the first time in 2008 and had 17eggs,
the sire to both girls this season, is from a striped line and has decent striping.

cheers

Good Lord, those eggs are huge. Congratulations Affroalex. I am glad to see we have somebody that is succesful with this species. I have been thinking about getting a few captive bred hatchlings for a while now.
i wouldn't know as Ive only ever bred scrubs before, i have never actually seen any other species eggs to compare them to, this season is the first time im going to have other species eggs to actually compare them to. they occur naturally up here and i find them extremely easy to breed, i also seem to have gotton lucky and all but 3 of the 14 are great to handle.

Well here are the pics of my girl.

She has started to get nice and dark and a bit milky in the eyes. I think in a week or so she will shed...... I will be keeping an eye on her.

I am considering leaving the eggs with her. It will be the only clutch of the season (only have two snakes.... Mr and Mrs Bredli). I will asses her condition post lay and try to feed her. If she is too thin or wont feed then I will remove the eggs for incubation.

Colours in the photo are terrible! She is hypo-melanistic bred by Luke Ridley.

Attachments

• IMAG0290.jpg
    IMAG0290.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0287.jpg
    IMAG0287.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMAG0288.jpg
    IMAG0288.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 40
Well here are the pics of my girl.

She has started to get nice and dark and a bit milky in the eyes. I think in a week or so she will shed...... I will be keeping an eye on her.

I am considering leaving the eggs with her. It will be the only clutch of the season (only have two snakes.... Mr and Mrs Bredli). I will asses her condition post lay and try to feed her. If she is too thin or wont feed then I will remove the eggs for incubation.

Colours in the photo are terrible! She is hypo-melanistic bred by Luke Ridley.

she is looking very swollen! Good luck with the incubation.

my tri striped female taken tonight. she is HUGE.
next photo is of her with my male

Attachments

• 18.11.10.JPG
    18.11.10.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 2010pairing.JPG
    2010pairing.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 73
well done wayne know i see why you wanted that female of me that male is very similar.

Lol, not sure on that one yet mate, Ben and I have other projects we are working on and your female is going to fit into that just nicely.

Blonde mac that laid 8 fertile eggs this season with 3 slugs. Should hatch in the next 2-3 weeks.
Sorry for the average pic was takin on the phone.
Cam
blonde mac.jpg

Ok, an updated Pic. She is due to lay in a week. Once again terrible colours, ideally I would get her in natural sunlight... but she is a bit of a cow at the moment and I just don't need the good photo enough to disturb her. I have remained bite free for 2 years now by handling my snakes sensibly, why ruin my record??!!

Attachments

• IMAG0335.jpg
    IMAG0335.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 43
My breeding results this year.

PC160725.jpg

Well this is all that I can show for my breeding efforts this season in Central Qld. A good score all the same.
These 9 eggs are from a nice caramel hypo coastal carpet pairing. She provided 12 eggs last year & thought I would get a bit more this year. I was also hoping for Diamond python eggs & two female BHPs should have produced for me, they copulated several times still to produce nothing. If the eggs turn into nice little bubs & sell them it may pay for the food bill untill next breeding.
Anyway it makes for a better challenge next breeding season.
Cheers
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back