Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you feed your snake rabbit?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please supply evidence that it's not?

hahaha!!!

No you do it....

:)

You said in a previous post that (and I quote) "The recommended method is placing the food in a fridge at 5 degrees celcius until thawed."

So where is this scientific paper showing that rats defrosted in a fridge would be the recommended method?

The reason I bring this up is because that recommended method is for poultry and other meats. Maybe it is better for rats too... I just prefer the speed method vs the slow and festering in my fridge stinking out my food and making my 10 year old daughter say ewwww method!

Get another fridge then. Have a look at any of the government food standards websites. It is also recommended when doing your food handlers course. I would like to think that I should be thawing out my snake food in the same way that we thaw out our meat for the BBQ. It should have the same handling and should go down well with a little bit of salt and pepper! Luckily the rabbits we feed to our snakes are bred for human consumption.

but we're talking food (muscle usually mixed with some fat) vs whole animals...

That's the difference...

However (do realise) I am not suggesting it's incorrect to do this (in fact I would say it is a perfectly SAFE method) - my real thing is you've said 'they' suggest this for rats (if I am taking this in context) - where I say I don't think this is suggested for rats, but more for a slab of meat!

Plus my above complaints of having a dead rat or rabbit in my fridge...

Do however make sure you defrost on the BOTTOM shelf as dead animals can tend to drip... and gravity does the rest.

I never said they suggest rats to be defrosted like this. To avoid dripping place food items in plastic container covered with cling film. Let's just be fair in saying there is more than one way to skin a cat.

My 5yo coastal eats 500gm rabbits and my 6yo coastal eats 500-800gm rabbits...

where do you get your rabbits from, im in Ipswich and Brisbane and my coastal is eating large rats at the moment but he needs a few each feeding, i want to try him on rabbit but i have no idea where to get them

The urban myth of thawing in warm water goes back to when folks used to just plonk thier food in the freezer not in sealed bags etc. I was always told that the freezer dehydrated the food kept for any length of time and the thaw in water returned some of the lost fluid to the food item. Warm water was also supposed to just hurry up the process as many are impatient and don't allow enough time to thaw at room temperature. If the food item is stored in sealed bags, frozen reasonably quickly and then thawed at room temp, it is reasonable that the water process is not required. When I was told about the water thaw I was also feeding animals that were already dehydrated and the fluid content was critical. One would assume that cative kept, well maintained animals would not have the same issues.

whats the big deal in how its defrosted as long as it defrosted. im sure there is no right way or wrong way of doing it as long as its defrosted. Has anyone lost a reptile or a family member to the food not being defrosted properlly. no I bet bno one has so dont worry how we defrost it.

Agreed Cokney Red. All our hatchlings have about 10 feeds on rat pinkies. They then go straight onto rabbit pinkies. The snakes learn to take big meals from a young age. I had a friend over on Monday that could not believe the extended girth that some our hatchlings had after a big meal. We also find that our snakes heads grow larger when they eat prey with large heads. I think there might be a correlation between food size and pinhead syndrome. Big heads= big food, small heads= small food!

If I had your setup CP, Iwould most definitely breed and feed rabbits, amazes me, that people feed 300 gram rats to their biguns, when you only have to put it alongside the equivalent sized bunny, to know what is best....I feed Quail as a treat :)

The urban myth of thawing in warm water goes back to when folks used to just plonk thier food in the freezer not in sealed bags etc. I was always told that the freezer dehydrated the food kept for any length of time and the thaw in water returned some of the lost fluid to the food item. Warm water was also supposed to just hurry up the process as many are impatient and don't allow enough time to thaw at room temperature. If the food item is stored in sealed bags, frozen reasonably quickly and then thawed at room temp, it is reasonable that the water process is not required. When I was told about the water thaw I was also feeding animals that were already dehydrated and the fluid content was critical. One would assume that cative kept, well maintained animals would not have the same issues.

Frozen meat/seafood dehydrates even when stored in bags. All frozen meats weigh less after being frozen. Very minimal amount
but certainly less. The longer they are frozen the more they dehydrate.

whats the big deal in how its defrosted as long as it defrosted. im sure there is no right way or wrong way of doing it as long as its defrosted. Has anyone lost a reptile or a family member to the food not being defrosted properlly. no I bet bno one has so dont worry how we defrost it.

Ummmmmm.... yes.... lots of people have....

In fact there is a REAL risk to human (and your pets) health if food is incorrectly defrosted - and this does also include partially defrosted then re-freezing!

I find your comment is misleading, dangerous and very blaze' - it is a concern that someone in an Australian climate can think in this way.

where do you get your rabbits from, im in Ipswich and Brisbane and my coastal is eating large rats at the moment but he needs a few each feeding, i want to try him on rabbit but i have no idea where to get them
Rodentfarm will have them at the scales and tails festival at Ipswich next weekend.

thanks wokka, i will def check that out, what are rabbits worth n e ways??

We also find that our snakes heads grow larger when they eat prey with large heads. I think there might be a correlation between food size and pinhead syndrome. Big heads= big food, small heads= small food!

CP when I commented on this condition (which is known to herpetologists internationally as microcephaly) in a thread a while back you should have seen the rubbish posts uploaded in response. Some keepers clearly have no idea.

Common practise for keepers to feed their snakes meals that are too small. As if they have somebody in the wild who weighs their meals for them. If they swallow it and its too big then they will spit it out early on in the process. keepers usually dont supply enough heat after a big feed and thats why the snakes regurgitate their food. These things are natural born killers and we should treat them as such.

Ummmmmm.... yes.... lots of people have....

In fact there is a REAL risk to human (and your pets) health if food is incorrectly defrosted - and this does also include partially defrosted then re-freezing!

I find your comment is misleading, dangerous and very blaze' - it is a concern that someone in an Australian climate can think in this way.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by dragonboy69
whats the big deal in how its defrosted as long as it defrosted. im sure there is no right way or wrong way of doing it as long as its defrosted. Has anyone lost a reptile or a family member to the food not being defrosted properlly. no I bet no one has so dont worry how we defrost it.

The food is either defrosted or not how can you defrost the food wrong.Wether its defrosted in water or at room temperature its still defrosted so which method is wrong explain it to me.If you assume the water method is wrong then what will happen to me if that is the method I choose to defrost my next steak for my bbq.Will the defrosting police come after me no I dont think so as long as I have defrosted my steak who gives a dam how I go by it thanks

Last edited:
dragonboy69 - you are so far off the mark I don't know where to begin. Your sarcastic comments should be saved for when you actually know what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back