Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day guys,

Nice to see that everyone else has now witnessed the antics of this incompetent fool. I first saw him on one of Rob Bredl's DVD's, where he catches an average sized Eastern Brown with tongs, literally drags it outside, pins it, and that headgrabs it from the FRONT of the pinner. He must have a very dedicated guardian angel to ensure he doesn't get bitten on a daily basis.

We actually show video clips of the "Snakeman" to some of our students, to show them why we do not train them in the use of tongs!

Cheers

Jonno

"Tongs are for snags, not snakes!"

I find it weird that someone who has captured (I wasn't listening very well because my computer at work is rather quiet) 2000 browns still chooses to use this method of capture.

Very upset that a snake can be treated this way by an 'experienced' snake handler.

sadly you will probably find he doesnt even have the proper licence for catching vens he is a clown i cant understand why he couldnt just tail it straight into a bag it would of taken him 10 second insted he has to show of what a ****er everything he did was wrong gloves who wears gloves while your handleing a snake it would make it harder to handle

gloves wouldnt make it hard when you are holding the snake around the neck as tight as you can, you wouldn't need to worry about the snake wriggling out. Just close your fist around it's neck and suffocate it holding it as tight as you can, less chance of you being biten. Plus, holding it this way means you can prance around like a gorila try to get high 5's and wrap the snake around your neck while you do a little speech without being worried about the snake or it's fangs. What a tool this guy is. It would be interesting to see if he really does have his lic or not. He is probably collecting the dole too. Don't blame him for not charging people to relocate the snake, people can do what he done just as easily with the sharp end of shovel.

Its hard to tell if the snake is dead or not because it does seem to roll over once in the cage, but it could also be gravity, i just replayed it a dozen times and cant quite tell

I have been in touch with Parks & Wildlife NSW but at this stage I can only get put through to licensings voicemail. I have left messages for them to contact me.
If any of you guys want to contact them their number is 1300 361 967. I also have tried his mobile no 0407 965 092 but unfortunately you can only get his voice mail.
Like Barry (ssssnakeman) stated earlier if enough of us make enough noise about this hopefully this idiot George the snakeman can be stopped.

Les, unfortunatly 'george the snakeman' has community support (good snake = dead snake)and as he is the only catcher in his area the only thing we could rely on is the possibility that he has not got a licence to do this work.
But yeh, if you feel passionate, like i do, get in touch with all the relevant authorities and put an end to this sort of redneck behaviour, the more people who show their disgust the better..Im sure his antics can only reflect badly on the catchers that do the right thing

I thought the snake was dead too as it was all floppy... I have watched again and again after Grim's remark but I am not sure the snake flipped itself over... It moves for sure but I rekon it is just gravity...
Anyway, if it's still alive at that point, it would probably be dead by now...

Hopefully NSW Park & Wildlife will respond to Snakesrule asap and you guys will keep us all posted of the outcomes...

This matter has now been reported NSW Parks Wildlifeand they are going to view the youtube footage..
They have taken my details as a licensed vic Wildlife controller and said they definitely following through with this via their Tweed Heads office and they will be in touch shortly.
I think the more people who report this BLATENT ACT OF ANIMAL CRUELTY the better response we will get to stop these morons from using these babaric methods.
I have also reported it to the Byron Bay news paper but they said they will report it .???

Thanks again Barry for bringing this to our attention.

It is an eastern brown and I for one will be contacting NSW Parks & Wildlife on Monday about this incident. .
If we were caught by Dept of Sust. & Environment in Victoria handling a snake like that we would be hung , drawn & quartered & deservedly so.

In all seriousness, what has the DSE or NPWS ever done in relation to the protection of these animals?? I say this because not once have I ever heard of anyone ever being prosecuted with killing one, never mind about being simply injured or manhandled. Personally I think you’re all up against a brick wall with having the brakes applied to this bloke and his methods.

Either department will come back and suggest to you that it’s far better he’s doing an “entertaining” boot-scooting cowboy routine and actually removing them alive, as opposed to having them belted over the back of the head with a shovel. I’m certainly not defending his methods in his removals, but we have to look realistically at the popularity of these animals in the public eye – and they sure don’t rate too highly!

Anyway, my personal fav is the compression bandages he has hanging off him in rolls, the boots come in at a close second – George, you’re a turkey! :lol:

and i also rekon the reason its all limp when the measure it.. is cos he did break its back.. poor snake.. wot an ordeal.. i wood want to die to escape that man too.. TOTALLY DISGUSTED!!!!

I rang his mobile and got another operater number to ring which i had to quote another number to. Couldn't get through to NPWS but will try again 2morrow.

At least he is still saving the life of the ones that survive him :lol: . I reckon there's a chance he might not know any better, and isn't licenced, just another snake lover like us. Remember he says he is doing this voluntarily, as a free service to his community, and it has already put him in $10 000 debt.

Not that this would be an excuse for his methods but there's no need to try and abuse him or have him locked up, he needs to be educated or just stopped and replaced with a better local snake catcher (who wouldn't be voluntary and I'm sure the charge would prevent a few calls, killing a few more snakes).

At least he is still saving the life of the ones that survive him :lol: . I reckon there's a chance he might not know any better, and isn't licenced, just another snake lover like us. Remember he says he is doing this voluntarily, as a free service to his community, and it has already put him in $10 000 debt.

Not that this would be an excuse for his methods but there's no need to try and abuse him or have him locked up, he needs to be educated or just stopped and replaced with a better local snake catcher (who wouldn't be voluntary and I'm sure the charge would prevent a few calls, killing a few more snakes).
you're much more forgiving than i,

As far as i'm aware it is still illegal in NSW to charge a fee for removal of reptiles (or any wildlife), so anyone that takes his place is definitely going to be an improvement.

Update on the snake torturer
I was contacted yesterday by NPWS & they have viewed the youtube video and they agreed his method for capturing this snake was excessive and they will be considering what action they can take.
Whether they take it further I dont know but that is what they told me.

im a byron bay local. i know of george ellis. he has "rescued" (if thats what you wanna call it) over 1000 snakes. you think he would be gettin better. and he isnt a volunteer, he charges!!! i rescued a brown snake from a backyard just out of byron bay, george was there the day before, and he quoted them $100 just for his time. YOU DONT USE GLOVES TO HANDLE SNAKES!!!

Could you imagine if someone was to "rescue" a koala or a possum by standing on it for over an hour then holding it on the ground with a stick forceably before throwing it into a box??? I realise they aren't as potentially dangerous as a brown but still...... alarming footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back