Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
moosenoose - Some of the common symptoms of being bitten by a Bandy Bandy include hysterical laughter of all those who find out, extreme embarassment of the poor sod who was bitten by it and a barage of jokes for the rest of the bite victims life.

That Western brown snake looks a bit like a mulga to me?

To be honest, it was a weird one and I couldn't ID it with any certainty (I'm quietly hoping that it's a range extension for Oxyuranus temporalis). It's lacking the enlarged lower secondary temporal scale that mulgas are supposed to have, but it was big and chunky, unlike typical western browns. I was in the middle of the Simpson Desert. I was there for non-snake work. I wasn't going to catch it. Here are some more pics, including one showing a strap-like rostral scale that's typical of western browns.

'Western brown'

Mulga snake for comparison

'Western brown'

'Western brown'

'Western brown' showing strap-like rostral scale

Anyone else seen any weird Pseudonaja/Pseudechis specimens?

Edit: When I say I couldn't ID it with any certainty, I'm referring to the fact that Pseudonaja nuchalis is currently a complex of genetically and morphologically distinct entities. The animal I found would key out to a western brown, but it's quite possibly a new species (which I will hereby christen Pseudonaja rugosa Macdonald 2008 and distinguish it from congeners based on the fact that Pseudonaja rugosa sp. nov. all (n = 1) look quite chunky).

Stewart

Last edited:
What are the common symptoms that occur from being bitten by a Bandy Bandy?

In addition to the symptoms that Jonno's described, bandy-bandy bite victims can expect to endure the following:
-a slight tingling sensation

Stewart

Ryan herping in thongs ...:shock:..well that will learn ya .:rolleyes:..just nearly as good turning up to a call out in thongs and shorts and the people looking at me like W..T..F? ....:lol:....... (but I had my change of clothes in the back of my car ,for just in case..;).) it was only a carpet bag about 6foot so thongs were the dress code for that call out ...when its 35 c with a humidity level of GOD I CANT STAND IT .:evil:....I hate getting geared up...but EB,S well any type of elapid needs a different dress code .....:) good herping ryan but one day ya gonna get caught by a nasty so maybe boots might be in your favour ....:D

can anyone tell me where you find surl snakes , i had a hatchy here OH said it was a blackheaded but it didn't have any pattern & sort of looked like the babies on page 46 but brown???

Ryan herping in thongs ...:shock:..well that will learn ya .:rolleyes:..just nearly as good turning up to a call out in thongs and shorts and the people looking at me like W..T..F? ....:lol:....... (but I had my change of clothes in the back of my car ,for just in case..;).) it was only a carpet bag about 6foot so thongs were the dress code for that call out ...when its 35 c with a humidity level of GOD I CANT STAND IT .:evil:....I hate getting geared up...but EB,S well any type of elapid needs a different dress code .....:) good herping ryan but one day ya gonna get caught by a nasty so maybe boots might be in your favour ....:D

Funny you say that, I have pics of Garth when he was at school grappling with vens with no shoes on ( mind you it was about 45 years ago) I think that they have learnt a bit since then... lol

Picture8.png

quickly becoming my favourite snake

Nice little patternless common tiger. Growing like a weed.

Attachments

• patternless 003 (Large).jpg
    patternless 003 (Large).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 162
  • patternless 008 (Large).jpg
    patternless 008 (Large).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 118
I love this thread and you are all making me jealous but, alas I have promised my other half no dangerous snakes :(

Here's another patternless Common Tiger.

Attachments

• tiger 001.jpg
    tiger 001.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 100
  • tiger 002.jpg
    tiger 002.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 134
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back