Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Can we have a small, serious, and polite discussion not naming anyone or attacking anyone on what it is about coastal carpet pythons that you don't like.

Is it any of the morelia species? Or is it a particular type of carpet - clearly the coastal.

Is it because they're common and easy to breed?

Is it because they're not as pretty as other snakes (though in my opinion most coastal poo all over other morelia except maybe darwins).

Is it because they're placid?

Or is it because of....?

Please do answer it for me... But recall - it's about the SNAKE not the people breeding them.

I also don't want to hear from people who love coastals - only those who have an adversion to them, dislike them, or hate them for whatever reason.

I also don't want this to turn into a debate - I just want reasons for disliking this one type of snake.

And please - serious comments only - I am very keen to learn the psyche of the coastal hater :)

I would prolly never own one because there has been such indiscriminate crossing of localities and spp with them and you really could never really know what you are getting. I mean look at what caostals have done to the diamond gene pool! :)

I don't hate them, but i love the way the proud CCLC arc up when someone doesn's say they are the most beautiful snake they have ever seen :lol: so i guess you could say it is the owners not the snakes :lol:

(Notice my tongue is firmly placed in my cheek:))

I have seen some pretty coastals but there are a lot of plain looking ones - plain to me is boring. I love the morelia carpets because of their lovely patterns and colours. I would got for something like a Cairns Coastal which are a very striking looking snake rather than many of the ones I see pics of here. No offence to anyone keeping them but the likes of the proserpines and similar have nothing appealing to me at all.

:lol:

Well done waruikazi...

So what is it that the coastals have done for the diamond gene pool - please explain (recall you've had many more years of aussie snakes above me - so I know very little).

I am very well aware of the CCLC - but that can't be a reason to dislike a snake (imo) - dislike the people is fine :lol:

There has to be more to this than just a snake that seems to outbreed others... There seems to be some pent up anger towards the actual snake as well!

I'm with Kathy on this one. I just find most coastal carpets to look plain and boring. Sure there are a few nice ones out there but for some reason the brown on brown doesn't do anything for me. Same goes for Athertons and some MD's as well. Maybe my taste will change in the future, who knows.....

I would prolly never own one because there has been such indiscriminate crossing of localities and spp with them and you really could never really know what you are getting. I mean look at what caostals have done to the diamond gene pool! :)

Hey Gordo:D:D

Is that pure speculation or a fact????;)
Oh no what have I asked for lol

slim6y
On a serious note, some coastals can get big and that's probably one issue that I don't like with some of them but I have prossieCoastal) adults that is just same size as some of my athertons and capeys, I just feed them less;).

I think that you will find a lot of herps don't really keep them because they are common, but come up with the "MORPHS" and I say "MORPHS" and you will find that herpers will be banging on your door, My list for RP coastals and Hypo coastals this year is just growing by the week and I am sure that I won't be able to keep up.

Great thread by the way lets see if you get 15 pages out of this one lol

Joel

But the first one doesn't appear to be a 'forced' thing - I still don't get why you'd dislike a snake based on its breeding ability.

It's interesting.

I can agree with the colouration issues - if you don't like browns... afterall brown isn't the new black... yet! But... the fact they can breed with several other locales - and let's face it - it's purely locale and up till recently the nomenculture has been poorly regarded (by the sounds of things) anyway!

Jungleland - surely location location location just is so difficult to manage in the big flat Oz land anyway... other than the great divide - what's stopping a prossie cruising up the coastal line and continually moving through to Cairns or even the cape? Afterall, aren't carpets the MOST spread snake in Australia?

I'd imagine before human times that the snakes colouration was purely location. But does that still hold true these days?

I'm not a great fan of your common or garden coastal like we get around the house here. I like finding them and then letting them go BUT I love the morphs, no-one can say a Proserpine like this one below (bred of course by Jungleland) is boring or plain. :)
DSC_0015-2.jpg

re The

They eat allot,why should i waste rats on such a lowly species when i could feed them to something more worthwhile,my carpets are so ugly ive put a big picture of a greentree python on the wall so they can worship the king;)

For me its mostly the colour and the boofy head. Six different shades of baby poo brown on one snake doesn't do it for me. There are exceptions that don't look half bad but is still don't think that they are worth the cost of housing, heating and feeding.

A lowly species?

Sorry zulu - please elucidate on this?

Does that make you a lowly species - you're common!

Some nice ones, some ugly ones. Steve661251280-12923 Coffs ones, in fact MOST Coffs ones I have seen are spectacular, especially the striped ones, and white eyes..

I think you will find the majority of people who give it to the Coastal lovers only do it because they know how much you get upset. Its all stirring mate, dont take it to heart!..

They eat allot,why should i waste rats on such a lowly species when i could feed them to something more worthwhile,my carpets are so ugly ive put a big picture of a greentree python on the wall so they can worship the king;)

Yeah waste of food on ugly looking critters Gordo;)

Boa May I have them back please:( I said please.............

Pics of one of my ugly ones
Busyboucoastal.jpg

pugs - take it to heart? haha... I know stirring - that's funny... but some people actualyl have a deep seated hate to coastals, I am trying to find why... The stirring thing isn't an issue for me :) I thrive on it...

But - the CCLC have a fear and love to jump down the throats of everyone... These aren't the people I wanna hear from... I want to know the reasons why people actually physically hate the coastals!

So far the reasons seem menial - colouration, size... pfffft - that's fair enough... but not the reason to hate with such an adversion that it borderlines speciesism.

Now boa, pugsly and gordo on board:D:D:D

We definately have 15 pages on the making here lol

Love you all;)

re The

A lowly species?

Sorry zulu - please elucidate on this?

Does that make you a lowly species - you're common!

You didnt ask to here positives did you! :lol:

don't see any elucidation there zulu.... come on - lowly species - what makes a coastal a lowly species?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back