Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not believe there was any "special conditions" for buyers from interstate... it would need to be quite complicated for permits etc.

some great photos there looks like a great day might save some money and next one drive up there from SA just one question if i buy some animals from the expo can i get the appropriate paper work on the day to take them back to sa

Hey guys! :)

Being a fellow crow-eater, and having now been to three Vic Expos, I can tell you the permit side of things for us is 'frustrating', to say the least! Our mob, the DEH are fantastic, but it's the Mexican-side (joke guys!) that is the tricky part. The only way it's made easier is if you know exactly what you're going home with, and who the seller is, you can organise import/export permits prior to the Expo, pick up the animal/s on the day. Otherwise, our DEH can do up a "blanket" import (with adendums to amendments to the import permit), but it's not so easy from the Victorian side...

For what it's worth, I think if the Victorian department would 'allow' a "blanket" export permit, just for the day, with obvious wording that all relevant departments be notified as soon as possible (upon our return) what animals are purchased/brought back, from whom/permit numbers etc, I believe a lot more animals would be sold on the day of the Expo... Just a thought...!

I understand the Vic department allowed interstate SELLERS, which was fantastic, but it would be really nice if they allowed interstate BUYERS...

Hope you can understand this guys - if not, pm me and I'll go into it further in detail for you!

Best,
Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

That is some great food for thought especially as Tassie is almost at the completion phase of our new regs.
Would be great to be able to go next year with import/export permits in hand and actually buy some new additions

...And considering the DSE are usually THERE at the Expo, it would just be a matter of taking your "blanket" export permit in at the end of the day, fill in the details of what animals from whom, show the guys at the DSE stand and get them to sign off on it! How easy would that be?!

Really Darron? That would be FANTASTIC! And about time! I look forward to hearing about it all when everything's been given the "thumbs up"! How exciting for you all, after all these years of living in the Ice Age! :)

Keep us posted as to the progress!

Best,
Carolyn

had an absolute ripper time...

i couldnt of had a better time... walked out the door with a eastern baby bluey and 4 central bearded dragons... i thought the whole set up was perfect and i think its safe to say that i wont be missing the next one!

I can see a time not too far off when on line systems allow the departments to coordinate their activities in real time. A table with DSE staff could easily issue licenses and coordinate permits on the day with the added advantage of being able to verify details face to face. Bring it on!

I can see a time not too far off when on line systems allow the departments to coordinate their activities in real time. A table with DSE staff could easily issue licenses and coordinate permits on the day with the added advantage of being able to verify details face to face. Bring it on!

And so say all of us! :)

I did manage a quick chat with them at the table, and she did make mention that it would be "a good thing" to be able to do that, but she said that they'd have to bring the lap-top, printer etc (I don't know why that would be difficult...?), but the seed has now been planted! I'll just keep hounding them until they cave in!

I'm quite happy to share my crow-eating money with you mexicans...! And, for what it's worth, I know 'quite a few' people from here who don't go the the Melbourne Expo simply because they can't bring animals home... In my opinion, it would only benefit Victoria and the keepers/sellers/tourism if the DSE can accommodate us all!

Best,
Carolyn

Our biggest issue is quarantine.

Due to Tassie being so isolated and disease free, we are required to have vet checks done prior to gaining approval for import.

The many that I am proud to be associated with from the mainland have very high keeping/breeding standards and would have no problems gaining disease free certification however try telling our department that :x:x:x

This is one reason I have tried to get P&W onboard re having a register of reputeable breeders to source imports from. Not only does this eliminate backyarders but also ensures healthy animals crossing the "government tax waterway" known as Bass Straight

This would be fantastic if it happens. :)

C.J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back