Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Nick, that was very comprehensive and informative. What that does show me at least is that there doesn't appear to a definitive set of markers that sets a Jungle apart from a 'carpet' in all cases. Obviously a Palmerston Jungle is very clearly a cheynei, a carpet from Brisbane is clearly a mcdowelli but I think we all agree it can get very muddy indeed.
This thread wasn't so much about what may or may not happen in relation to the ongoing DNA research, it was more to do with getting a definition for a Jungle that would negate all the arguments we see here and elsewhere when we see the inevitable 'what snake is this ?' thread.

It just seems to be one of those subjects that never appears to be debated properly and as I have said you only have to do a search for "Please ID my new snake' or similar threads to realise how much confusion there seems to be.

Hey Den,

Long time no see mate:) When are you coming up for a visit my friend:p

Nick

Hopefully soon mate, it's been too long between visits! Your down for B's wed yeah?

I think there will always be debates on this topic Ash. I don't have too much of an opinion on the subject because Jungles and north coast Morelia aren't my forte. Kind of like spelling through msn chats...;)

im gonna say .................. coastal my coastie looks kinda similar

Attachments

• Picture 188.jpg
    Picture 188.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 62
Thanks Scott, as far as I know that snake is a Cape York, I can't be 100% as I didn't catch it or it's offspring :) It's not so much about that particular snake as I consider it cheynei but I am interested to hear other peoples views on what makes a top end carpet a mcdowelli or a cheynei. .
Don't worry it's not only the smart ones who get into the genetics debates :)

Hi ash,

first glance at the picture and I thought your guy was my guy lol, it's most def a Cape York and my guy/s which I only keep Cape york's and one BHP, but neways I believe there are coastals and jungles in these guys as I have both and by saying this temprament varries really such as my cape york coastals are absolutly agressive but I have found the young to be quite placid. the cape york coastals are much much larger like most coastal's are compared to the jungles, my cape york coastals grow at a faster rate to my cape york jungles and the jungles are indead much smaller and a hell of alot crankier such as a normal jungle is gressive. I've reasently perchased a pair of cape york jungles much the same as your's. my male is 2 years of age and the owner didn't know exactly if he was coastal or jungle. but when I purchased my female from Snake power on here he had a few of my males siblings in his stock and firmly believes this line is indead jungle. from size, shape, pattern and colour, including temprement, this is also my thought on why I think they are indead a cape york jungle and not a coastal like my older pair.

The cape york jungles are known to only reach the length of around 4-6 foot and are a skinnier animal, I find the pattern's and colouring are much brighter and the cream stands out more the patterns between the white/cream varries from 2 tones different colours and shade from black/grey to red/black and many more, the head shapes are skinnier to the coastal side which I find the coastals are infact alot fatter head shape and they grow to 9 foot long and very heavy body weight, there patterns and colouring are more dull compared to the jungle as well.

so yes I do believe out of the 6 years of keeping Cape yorks and resently purchacing a pair of extremely stunning cape york jungles that there is indead a difference between the two and that there is indead coastals and jungles in these amazing animals.

cheers some pic's of my guy for you ash, he's probably from the same clutch as yours.

I might just show the difference's between the two by size and head patterns and colour if you don't mind.

cheers Jody

Cape York Jungle - Kronos 2 years old and 4 foot
View attachment 98413

View attachment 98414

View attachment 98415

Cape York coastal - Medusa 5 years and 9 foot long she was 8 foot at 3years of age. her head patterns are not complete and the shape is massive, her body patterns as you can see are alot more duller then of Kronos.
View attachment 98416
Medusa is not pin head here she is infact carrying eggs.
View attachment 98417

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back