Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't thought about it before, but my Childrens python does seem to want to come back to me/ not let go of my hand when I give it to someone to hold/ try to give it to someone to hold. I find it frustrating but also a little bit cute. Awesome snake love him to bits :D

Mine does the same!, hand him on to someone for a hold, and he tries to come back to me :D its funny cause he always gets his head on my palm and tries not to let go haha.

Ahhh... it's nice to feel wanted... even if it is by a snake. Try sitting in the garden, or in the bush near a big pile of brush or plant thicket, with the snake between you and the bush, and see which way it heads... there would surely be a few damaged egos from what I read here.

Pythons crank up in the early evening, which is why they are 'waiting' for your 'attention'... That is normal python behaviour. They haven't been waiting all day for you to come home from work, get dinner over, and then have playtime with them. Of course, if you take the lid off your enclosure and offer them something to climb on (your loving hand), they will take up the offer.

Snakes make the most of what they are offered - some are tolerant of handling to the point of indifference. That's all it is.

Try the bush test if your ego can handle it...

Jamie

Loki, my oldest male bredli loves human contact, for a while i thought he just wanted to get out of his enclosure, but even now that hes moved to a beautiful outoor aviary he still comes to the front as soon as he sees im home and pressed himself against the door and/or nose rubs till i get him.

we have a 20 min cuddle, then once hes had enough he gets off me, goes over to the sliding doors leading to the aviary and is happy to be put back out. (as in no hours and hours of nose rubbing like he does if i ignore him, hes had his attention and is happy)

3 of my other snakes couldnt give a hoot if they get picked up or ignored, they tolerate handling very well, but wouldnt say they like it. actually, i think the boy diamond quite likes human attention too, he just doesnt get alot of it.

1 is moody, some days she wants to be treated like Loki, 'let me out, no im not getting off you!!',....other days she'll hiss her butt off, or just take a chunk out of me without warning.

and the jungles, well, tehyre jungles, hate beign handled, love to bite,....

i do believe its very much up to the individual, but they definately CAN enjoy human interaction.

With this, comes two questions:
Is it possible to be handling her too much?
Is there a maximum time I should be handling her for when I do?

No one has really answered both my questions yet...

Try the bush test if your ego can handle it...

We have a different opinion on something Jamie, there is no need to be patronising...

Yes it is possiable to over handle her and if you do feel the need as short as possiable.
Remember your the one getting the pleasure out of handling not the snake.

Jamie isnt being patronising its the simple truth! Snakes are mainly nocturnal creatures so it only stands to reason they start to become active late in the day/early evening, its unfortunate that some people think that its the snake wanting to come out to play with them.

I think if you were handling her too much she'd let you know about it (most likely by latching onto your loving hand). Same for the second question. It sounds like you know her behaviour pretty well so when she starts to change and seem a little agitated it's probably been long enough.
I don't know about the liking/tolerating thing but I definitely agree they get comfortable with one person's smell. My Jungle hasn't bitten me for years but won't let anyone else come near him.

Is it really that hard to believe that a snake is capable of wanting attention? I think its sad that people assume they only tolerate you, there is exception to the rule! I also think generally a lot of people that think this way have so many reptiles they dont have the time to spend one on one time with their pets. I've previously owned a snake that wanted nothing to do with me, so I do agree that some just want nothing to do with you. Of course they generally get active at night, we're not that naive.

'snakes do not like being handled - they tolerate it'- is crap !

i have had many different snakes over the years and i think with the exception of ven speices most enjoy being handled.

all my pythons love a good handle and cuddle there attention seekers just like humans !
sure some dont like constant handling but i have rarley come across a python that wont settle down and enjoy being handled !
most of my pythons if not held constantly will not be settled in there enclosure untill the get out and held and when there had enoght they get frieghty and want to be put back in !
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
equinny - yes - your snake will be come frieghty ( agitated state of handling ) when you get them out the noramally settle down very qiuckly but after lets say 45 min to hour your snake gets frieghty then this snake is telling you its had enought and wants time out ( its enclosure ).

you will notice with extended handling this occurs and get used to it !
pythons -are like dogs in one way - they can bite and biting is a last resort if you mistreat them they can bite but dogs love attention and if you own a dog you can always tell when its had enought of you.
but they are like cats aswell - they love attention but once theyve had enought thats it and there off

Last edited:
Funny how all the keepers with more than a few seasons under their belt seem to have one opinion, and the rest have another...

I know whose opinion I will side with on this one... :)

all my pythons love a good handle and cuddle there attention seekers just like humans !

The last part of that statement is simply a crock of poo. Your attribution of need is embarrassing. You clearly know very little about snakes, but I'd say your needs far exceed those of the animals in your care.

I have no problem considering reptiles as companion animals if you want to call them that, but be assured, the snake won't fret for one second if you drop dead suddenly, unlike a dog. Comparing the two is ridiculous.

Jamie

A nocturnal animal wanting to escape its box at 19:00 - unbelievable.

Yes i cant believe that at all? Maybe at 5pm. My waters love flyscreens aswell. They will sit there for hrs every evening just rubbing the noses back and forth on the back door. Even when i open the door there social and go straight over the the rat boxes just to say hi. Even seen one checking if every rat was there. You could see him going "theres one, theres two, theres three" God there friendly pets. One even likes watching TV with me as it sits besides my thigh when its cool and just wont move watching telly.

I had one guy tell me that my snakes will never know the difference between me and any other person , and that, to my snakes Im nothing but a warm tree ....... LMAO

QUOTE]
yeah i know my massive scrubbie hates everyone except me if you went into its outdoor enclosure it would try i bite you gauranteed 100%.
but if i entered with you not only would it be placid but you could hold it without a bite at all !
so Godzilla can tell the differance between two humans

Is it really that hard to believe that a snake is capable of wanting attention?

Yes, snakes are primitive creatures and are nothing like a cat, dog, bird or human. Yes some things they do can be mistaken by newbies as affectionate or attention seeking behavior but thats not what it truly is. This same topic pops up every few months it seems

This could become distorted by further claims of 'snake insight'. I certainly do see some snakes behave in a different manner with different people, but it has much more to do with the way different people handle animals... and it applies to ANY animals. Snakes are sentient beings with senses we can't even begin to understand, but it is dangerously simplistic to anthropomorphise the behaviour of these complex, reactive animals the way some contributors to this thread have done. You do them no justice by simplifying their complex behaviours in human terms.

Jamie

Yes, snakes are primitive creatures and are nothing like a cat, dog, bird or human. Yes some things they do can be mistaken by newbies as affectionate or attention seeking behavior but thats not what it truly is. This same topic pops up every few months it seems

Anthropomorphism is what it's called :). As much as I'd love to think my snakeys love me I agree that they are just behaving naturally and these things can sometimes be misinterpreted. Even when you're talking about dogs and cats etc they are behaving and responding to you as they would to their leader in the wild

The last part of that statement is simply a crock of poo. Your attribution of need is embarrassing. You clearly know very little about snakes, but I'd say your needs far exceed those of the animals in your care.

I have no problem considering reptiles as companion animals if you want to call them that, but be assured, the snake won't fret for one second if you drop dead suddenly, unlike a dog. Comparing the two is ridiculous.

Jamie

crook of poo - maybe you should read what u wrote and think about what u wrote !! and be careful what you write it makes you look stupid.
were we talking about intelligence in our reptiles or did you just feel the need to assert your intelligence into this thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU SERIOUS ??????????????????????????????????????????

crook of poo - maybe you should read what u wrote and think about what u wrote !! and be careful what you write it makes you look stupid.
were we talking about intelligence in our reptiles or did you just feel the need to assert your intelligence into this thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE YOU SERIOUS ??????????????????????????????????????????

you seriously believe they can be compared to a cat or a dog in terms of companion ship?

I am not having a go at you but this "intelligence" in reptiles is another saw point. How would you measure the level of intelligence in your snake?

fave tv show maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back