Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious if snakes like to socialize in general, why aren't they seen in groups like other animals?

One of the only types of snake that can be found in groups, would be the garter snake, they all group together in caves in the winter.

i have a snake that comes to to the front of the enclosure everytime im there .. but its thinks i bring him food, not that im about to get him out lol

i honestly dont think snakes love being taken out .. snakes are active at night, so most likley they are just wanting to move around and happen to be at the front of the glass or whatever

Most snakes enjoy being handled once they get used to the different feeling
I have done reptile demonstrations for a long time now
Very few snakes do not respond to gentle handling
This rubbish about they just tolerate it is just that.... Rubbish

We open the enclosures each morning to see which snakes want to play
2 burmese and 1 retic are always first to come out
One GTP climbs off his night perch onto his bamboo without being touched
There are always 2 or 3 just hanging around on various perches in the shop
They know each handler well and respond in kind

One iguana [the most beautiful one of course] goes straight to its handler and climbs onto her shoulder

Years ago there was a rumour put out that you cannot handle snakes and people believed it
That rumour is wrong
Spread the word
The sooner we treat reptiles like any other pet the sooner this will be accepted

facebook= [email protected]

My bhp is quite keen on interaction upon opening her enclosure any time of the day and will coil on my head and what not for ages. However take her outside and she ***** out and will ditch ya in seconds.

Also, snakeluver not bad if you're only 11 putting some decent posts together!

Also, snakeluver not bad if you're only 11 putting some decent posts together!

I agree, Seems like you have your head screwed on right :D

This thread should have been a poll... I didn't expect it to result into this though, when I started it :?:|

People have different ideas about what snakes do and don't like, but if the person isn't handling the snake too much and its needs are being met then what's the problem? If you don't agree with what someone else says that's fine, but there's no need to be a prick about it, or to say that the person is stupid. Why would people want anything to do with this hobby if some of the more experienced people look down their noses at people who don't know as much as them?

People have different ideas about what snakes do and don't like, but if the person isn't handling the snake too much and its needs are being met then what's the problem? If you don't agree with what someone else says that's fine, but there's no need to be a prick about it, or to say that the person is stupid. Why would people want anything to do with this hobby if some of the more experienced people look down their noses at people who don't know as much as them?

Well said Tahlia!

post 37 was where an experienced person was called stupid, not the other way round.

all a snake does is push with its nose, it's in an enclosure 24/7 pushing here and there, sooner or later it will find say a loose door latch that could be push aside and then escape. anytime a snake escape it usually involve a mistake on behalf of the keeper or a fault with the enclosure, not because of a well thought out plan.

if you say snakes like to be handled, try opening the door then step back 1 metre, don't stick your arm in its face and see if it will seek you out, if you stick your hand in front then the snake have no option but to go there.

there is no way a snake can be compared with a dog on affection. i can dip my hand in dog food and put it in front of my dog and he doesn't chew on it, but if i handle rats then wave my hand in a woma's face it'll be lunch.

post 37 was where an experienced person was called stupid, not the other way round.

Yes, and I don't like that either, calling someone stupid that knows more than you won't get you far ;) But some experienced members are indirectly implying low intelligence on the behalf of people who don't know as much as them. Sometimes I get frustrated with people who don't know as much as me (not that I'm an expert) but I was there once too... just have to learn some patience.

I was the one told I look stupid, but luckily I've got a thick skin! My premise has always been that snakes are grand animals, they are what they are, I take them on their terms, and that's the way it is. To attribute them with human emotions and behaviours demeans them, removes their natural digniity, and it shows a lack of respect for what they are.

Reptilian Kman, I'm still waiting for advice on the three stage escape from Fort Knox...

Jamie

I've also been told this, but I personally think they know the difference. Mine are happy to be handled by others but will always try and come back to me if they can see me.
I agree, I have a male jungle python named Torrent, and he strikes (and bites) at everyone except me

My premise has always been that snakes are grand animals, they are what they are, I take them on their terms, and that's the way it is. To attribute them with human emotions and behaviours demeans them, removes their natural digniity, and it shows a lack of respect for what they are.

Jamie

Agreed.

This thread has given me a good chuckle, I wonder how it would of progressed if Pythoninfinite and Waterrat had let this slide...next we will be told that snakes can smile:rolleyes:

Talking about great escape artists
In Cairns I had a wonderful jungle called honey
She would escape from her new enclosure every mating season and coil around the male jungles enclosure
I used glass sliding doors that fitted VERY tightly and needed a fair bit of effort to open
But she would lie her body against the glass and ripple until she she forced a small gap
After I put a lock on her enclosure next mating season she hurt herself trying to force a vent open
She never left the area and was a great snake but loved to get out

Drop by these facebooks and see some of our snakes in action with total strangers
facebook= [email protected] or [email protected]

Simple explanation ;)

Pet snakes love to be handled

Specimens in a collection tolerate it

Breeders don't like being held

Hopefully that also explain in a very general way the different attitudes of people on the subject.

flogging_dead_horse_what.jpg

Simple explanation ;)

Pet snakes love to be handled

Specimens in a collection tolerate it

Breeders don't like being held

Hopefully that also explain in a very general way the different attitudes of people on the subject.

this!!

great post

I have one boy thats a real cranky man but after a crazy couple of mins after being out he is way more into it...still dont trust him like some of the others lol ...he has the wild man streak in him hahahah :) still love taking him out none the less ..he keeps me on my toes haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back