Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
flogging_dead_horse_what.jpg

What she said...

Dont agree

that is with the one that said reptiles dont like being handled

Thanks. Do you have any idea how painful beer out the nose is? Shame on you! ;)

Agreed.

This thread has given me a good chuckle, I wonder how it would of progressed if Pythoninfinite and Waterrat had let this slide...next we will be told that snakes can smile:rolleyes:

Ermm, Tropidonophis mairii, duh!

Seriously though, calling it intelligence, toleance, happiness, whatever else, it is all anthropomorphisation as we as as species have no other frame of reference. Took my BHP to the vet once, a very competent reptile handler, BHP practically flew back at me and coiled around my arm and hand. Does he "know" who I am? In his own way, probably. Does he like, tolerate, or dislike handling? Who the hell cares, he doesn't bite so that makes the kids and missus happy, which makes me happy. I do agree that in all likelihood, if you and your snake parted ways it would not care but... that is just more pointless anthropomorhisation.

i think everyone on this form can all agree that snakes do have a certain intelligence about them. Some are good handlers others arent, but really in all honesty who can really accurately state whats going on in their cold blooded minds everytime we handle them. Personally i just think their native animals recently turned captive and still like to display individual wild instincts from time to time

To the guy with the bush experiment:

Years ago I had a diamond python who not only liked to be held but craved human company. We used to let him climb around in a small tree we had in the front yard and he loved it but he also always came back to us when he had had enough. Being insomniac as I am, I was often up all night and asleep during the day, he would escape his enclosure and crawl under my pillow and sleep with me until I woke up, then he would follow me around until I had to pick him up so he was out of danger at which time he would wrap himself around my middle and stay there until he was ready to explore or feed. When we had visitors, he would escape his enclosure and come all the way downstairs to hang out with the people going from one to another and spending considerable time with each. He actually changed a lot of our friends misconceptions about snakes and there was not one of them that didn't end up loving snakes as a result of his personality. I also went to a reptile show at Darling Harbour one day and the guy there had a huge diamond python he was showing to people and boasting about his fantastic handling abilities. I went over to say hello and he got quite annoyed with me because his snake wanted to come to me and he ended up telling me to go away, when I went away he was struggling with the snake as it wanted to follow me. So to say they are just tolerating people or they don't know the difference or they would choose a bush over you is all dependent on the individual snake. I could be totally wrong but that is just my personal experience with 2 snakes. The spotted python pair we have at the moment don't really get handled but the male seems very interested, where as the female is very shy. Same with our Gippy hatchlings, one eats from my fingers the other runs as soon as I open the enclosure, they are all different so maybe some actually do like handling and human company.

there was something very wrong with that enclosure if your diamond can escape it anytime it wanted to. what if you have something cooking on the stove and the snake escape and goes exploring in the kitchen - because of all the food scents ?

Yeah i'm great mates with all my snakes, well i like them a real lot anyway. Though a few of em have said to me they just tolerate me cause i feed em and take em to the pub and shout them beers while i stay sober to chauffer them round the town from pub to pub. I often get them out of fights when they get too roudy, so i'm pretty confident i'm a great mate to them, ya know? They say they are just tolerating me but yeah, pretty sure they think highly of me.

The Olive python i live with picks up the best(he can pull the moves on the dance floor) so some of my smaller snake mates resent him a bit, i don't resent him though, i'm his wing man.

Yes my enclosure was a problem, I did end up figuring out how to stop him getting out though as I agree it was a problem. I was very inexperienced back then, over 20 years ago, and there was no internet or support like there is now. That is beside the point though, it was about how much he liked spending time with people that was the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back