Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurtonReptiles

Reaction score
what would be the best pet snake with less aggressive personalaity to own? i am looking into getting a snake i just want nice calm easy one.

any of these really: spotted, stimmie and childrens

^Agreed. Can be snappy as hatchies but not all the time (My spotted has only bitten me once so not a problem for me). Hardy and dont grow too big.

haha lol my 2 spotted yearlings are crazy and my jungle is sooo sweet... but all my adult spotteds are fine.
i would say pick a snake you really like, fine a breeder, tell them you want a calm snake and your set...

i think sax is joking to lol

haha lol my 2 spotted yearlings are crazy and my jungle is sooo sweet... but all my adult spotteds are fine.
i would say pick a snake you really like, fine a breeder, tell them you want a calm snake and your set...

;)

I agree entirely with the first part of Cad's post. Find something you like the look of and think you could look after adequately then find a breeder who can sell you a calm one. Every individual snake is different and if you make your choice on this one generalised characteristic you may be disappointed

I didn't know about the "typical jungle temperament" when I bought my two hatchlings, I'm glad I didn't because I would probably have been turned off. They are all very placid. I ended up with 3, the female was snappy when I got her, hence her name "Snappy" but within 2-3 days of regular handling and letting her bite me, she has turned into a good girl. She will head but on the odd occasion, but she's great now.

Yep... I would not stick my hand in my spotteds enclosure if shes anywhere within striking distance yet I would grab my 5 foot JCP from under it's hide bare handed without any worries.

ive got 2 stimsons 1 coastal carpet, 1 water python. the water python bites me enuff to make up for the others having never bitten me...

I would vote Diamond pythons! i have a few and also alot living around my house wild ones. I pick up a wild ones and the most there ever done is hiss but not alot in my opinion there calm as even the hatchies are pretty laid back!

If you want something small, Stimmies are generally pretty calm. My little guy is super chilled and has never been defensive or bitey. If you want a bigger snake, Bredli's are supposed to be pretty placid (never owned one, so I'm only saying this off what I've read :p ).

Snakes are individual. For example, Jungles are supposed to be very snappy. Mine is not, infact, she is so placid that today when i got her out i noticed she had some white stuff on her head (presumably she had rubbed against some dried up poop) and she allowed me to gently wipe it off her head without even flinching too much. Pick a snake on the individual personality, dont buy a specific species just because its supposed to be "calm".

If you want a bigger snake, Bredli's are supposed to be pretty placid (never owned one, so I'm only saying this off what I've read :p ).
Mine is the best natured snake in my collection. He's the only one my girlfriend will handle.
Now all we need it the Aspidites fanboys to get in and we'll have had a suggestion for pretty much everything!

I would say a Morelia such as a Bredl's or Coastal. imo anatresia's suffer from small man syndrome.

I got a Wheatbelt Stimson for my first python selected by the breeder for temperament.. He is so very relaxed and probably the most placid animal I've come across.

Red Belly
Blacksnake

I did my first ever venomous handling last night and i was surprised at how easily the RBB went into the bag. Maybe it was just the contrast of trying the Spotted Black first who was still pretty chilled out but still far more energetic. The collets was by far my favourite though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back