Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, I haven't heard many incidents where someone has been nailed by a stimmie (not saying it doesn't happen, just that I haven't heard about it :p )

Most likely because nobody would care. Photos of a Stimmie bite would be slightly less impressive than the ones of people who have copped a good whack from a Scrubby or a big Coastal

I'll add a +1 for everyone who's said choose a type of snake you love, then choose an individual snake. They're all so, so different, and they'll also respond individually to the way you handle them, just like any animal. When my partner and I went looking for a female diamond, we got the pick of two hatchling sisters, one of whom was a total darling; calm, inquisitive, friendly - whilst the other was a bitey, stressed-out little ratbag. Both were hatched out of the same clutch and raised in the same conditions. Fortunately the calm one was also the prettiest.:) Had her for nearly a year now and she remains an absolute sweetie - really charming and curious, and seems to genuinely enjoy being handled. All the diamonds I've met have been really nice snakes, but having had a friend lose hers to Diamond Syndrome I'm not sure if they're a beginner's snake, care-wise. There's a bit more information about Diamonds now than when my friend had hers though, and I haven't heard of people losing Diamonds like that in a long time.

My Proserpine carpet and Stimson's are also lovely individuals; the Stimson's was my first snake - I chose a small one because I was living in a tiny matchbox of a share house and simply didn't have room for a larger tank. He was living proof that it pays to do your research - I went to a pet/reptile shop to buy him, and mentioned I wanted a Children's python with a nice temperament as it was my first snake. They said they didn't have anything, then grilled me in a friendly manner about caring for snakes, etc, and gave me a couple of others to handle. When they saw I'd done my research and wasn't just some goth kid wanting a snake cos it was all spooky an' stuff, they brought out Fabs - they hadn't told me about him initially because they all liked him heaps and wanted him to go to a good home. It was love at first sight, and I ended up taking him. That was nearly 12 years ago, and he's still awesome - he's the shiny little face in my icon..:) Anyway, I'm rambling, but yeah, choose a species you like that has a reasonable reputation, then just take your time picking an individual snake, just like you would picking any animal - dog, cat or horse.:)

Killer Pythons are good.

I like the blue bits best.

Keep them in the kitchen cupboard. No heat or light required.

So would a bredli be good as a first snake? I've seen a couple of people with bredli's as a first, such as jazzv

I love a jungle I love there colours but been told they bit syco
That's exactly what we've been talking about. If you want one try to find a breeder and check out what they've got. There are a number of us on this thread alone who could attest to the calm nature of some Jungles. They are definitely out there

ok, lets clear this up, your best bet is to A get what you want most and have a go,
or ,"sigh" choice B get something someone else likes/wants and tells you what you want to hear,
like dogs all snakes can be fussy and a pain in the *** and may bite,
once you have 1 your stuffed, as its the start of an addiction
so you may as well get one you really want not just something you were told to get :)

Check out the for sale section

Also have you read up on what is required to care for them properly?

I know someone who may have bredli's on the weekend if you're interested.

Do yourself a favour and don't do it the way I did.... Get an enclosure first, and decide which snake you want so you can get that enclosure to work. Get the temps sorted out and all that jazz before you put a snake in there. I had tons of frustration with a snake that wouldn't eat (it wasn't my fault, the other one ate fine, temps were fine etc) but if you have issues and it's because of the environment the snake is in, you'll have less problems troubleshooting before the snake's in it than after.

Jungles are pretty :D

I know someone who may have bredli's on the weekend if you're interested.

Do yourself a favour and don't do it the way I did.... Get an enclosure first, and decide which snake you want so you can get that enclosure to work. Get the temps sorted out and all that jazz before you put a snake in there. I had tons of frustration with a snake that wouldn't eat (it wasn't my fault, the other one ate fine, temps were fine etc) but if you have issues and it's because of the environment the snake is in, you'll have less problems troubleshooting before the snake's in it than after.

Jungles are pretty :D
yeah that was my plan i was going get tank all together and then buy my snake

I love my Mac's but no-one has said Womas,I haven't heard anyone having problems with them and thats going to be my next addition to my my growing obsession.

yeah that was my plan i was going get tank all together and then buy my snake

Well jungles are arboreal, so they need to climb. IDK about bredli's, but I've seen lots of people put them in long tanks without much head room, so I guess not.

Any python is a good starter except GTP's (unless you do a lot of research) and scrubbies probabaly arent a good idea either, other than that then YES.
If you arent comfortable with big snakes, however, get a woma or Antaresia Sp.

Last edited:
Check out how to make a click clack, lots of people put a stick or a piece of dowel from one wall of the click clack to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back