Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll second whoever said womas were great snakes. The ones I used to keep had wonderful personalities, never aggressive, always calm yet inquisitive and curious...except at feeding time, and it was best to just quickly open the door, put the rat down, and close the door...in the space of about half a second before those golden serpents realize you've got something for them to eat ;)

Haha I was wondering where you guys were hiding. Womas are usually one of the first suggestions :p

IMHO. Woma's are the perfect beginner snake.

Everyone should have atleast 10 in their collection. Lol

Definitely a Woma, gorgeous creature. I can't say they have loads of character as yet 'cause our little guy is soooo placid.

You can pretty much get any snake you want as a first timer, except I would cross venomous ones and scrubbies off that list because of their obvious danger. Some snakes have a bit of a snappy reputation but from my experience I have seen exceptions to all these. I have seen super snappy jungles and dead calm ones, super vicious darwins and really friendly ones. Just pick a snake you like the size and look of and find one that handles well. This will give you the best indication as far as friendliness goes. It is best to go for yearlings in my opinion as they are usually over their snappiness and you get a better idea of their adult colours. Most people will recommend an Anteresia as a first because they are small but i'm sorry I have to disagree. If you pick a snake you like even if its a big one it will take at least a few years to reach that size by which you will be completely comfortable with it and no longer a beginner.

You can pretty much get any snake you want as a first timer, except I would cross venomous ones and scrubbies off that list because of their obvious danger. Some snakes have a bit of a snappy reputation but from my experience I have seen exceptions to all these. I have seen super snappy jungles and dead calm ones, super vicious darwins and really friendly ones. Just pick a snake you like the size and look of and find one that handles well. This will give you the best indication as far as friendliness goes. It is best to go for yearlings in my opinion as they are usually over their snappiness and you get a better idea of their adult colours. Most people will recommend an Anteresia as a first because they are small but i'm sorry I have to disagree. If you pick a snake you like even if its a big one it will take at least a few years to reach that size by which you will be completely comfortable with it and no longer a beginner.

Totally agree with everything you've said.

It really depends on how you treat the animal, and the amount of time and patience you give it. My tamest carpet is my Darwin python. They seem to have a pretty bad reputation, along with jungles, as a snappy, untrustworthy snake. For a period of time when he was younger I thought that was exactly the case. He is now 6.5ft long, and the most gentle, well-mannered and placid snake you're ever likely to meet.

Dodge the vens, dodge the scrubs and go for whatever you like. No doubt for a period of time you're going to cop a few nibbles from time to time ;)

Thanks to everyone helping me out on this I really like a snake that grow to about 5 foot , I love the look of jungles and carpet snakes . So that what most defiantly going to get

I want one this colour so amazing

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306372655.299418.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306372655.299418.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Snakes are individual. For example, Jungles are supposed to be very snappy. Mine is not, infact, she is so placid that today when i got her out i noticed she had some white stuff on her head (presumably she had rubbed against some dried up poop) and she allowed me to gently wipe it off her head without even flinching too much. Pick a snake on the individual personality, dont buy a specific species just because its supposed to be "calm".
They say that juvenile Coastals are supposed to be snappy but mine is somewhat docile

As said before, most snakes (except GTP'S) are all relatively easy to look after. But the easiest snake to look after would probably be the Murray Darling, they are as bulletproof as snakes get. Whats more they are easy to breed, they get to a nice size and are usually very good feeders.
In terms of temperament however, I have seen absoulte angels of Waters (Im holding one) and absolutely psycho Bredlis and Murray Darlings. You cannot get a certain species of snake which is guarenteed to be tame. Again as mentioned before, pick a breed that you like the look of, and shop around until you find one with a nice temperament.
Any snake would make a good starter as long as you do your research first! Mine was an Olive ;)
Good luck :D

LOL... I'm glad I didn't read this thread when I was looking into my first purchase... is there a species that hasn't yet been suggested ;)

Just to add to the confusion, I lost my python virginity to a Jungle :)

Theres no nice docile species, it depends on the individual. Stop suggesting species, most of them are good except the very large snakes (scrubbies and olives) and probably GTP's. Spotteds, for instance, arent more docile than, say, carpets. Just SOME spotteds are more docile than carpets, as SOME carpets are more docile than spotteds. Just get any python you like the look of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back