Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't really worry to much about the size, get a hatchling and as it gets bigger you hardly notice. But- if you want a snake thats smaller...how about a blonde spotted?

Id be looking at a Tanami or Uluru Woma if I were you. And just a tip, check out breeders not shops. Breeders are generally cheaper than a shop and you can view parents siblings ect. A reputable breeder will also give you any proper advice that you need.
Womas get to 41/2-5 ft long and most have fantastic quiet temperaments. In my opinion they are a bombproof python

Lol im getting confused now, im going to the shops to check them out ask questions etc... then once i no which one i want i will buy a snake from a breeder... i thought BHP, and woma's are for expierced handlers???. I've never own a snake b4....

we like the thin looking ones better over the big thick snakes...Plus easier for my girlfriend to handle the snake

Thin certainly doesn't translate to ease of handling...
A Green/Common Tree Snake (Dendrelaphis punctulata) while thin (slender) when compared
to a python of similar length, its actually a far more swift and agile species which proves more
difficult to manage when compared to the slower often sluggish movement of a python...

Common tree snakes are also potentially more difficult in terms of husbandry when compared
against most python species, not really the most appropriate first snake...

Both the Aspidites species would be reasonably good first snakes, particularly womas with the
ability to buy locality animals that don't grow all that large if size is a concern.
Its been more the purchase price and license regulations in some states that have been prohibitive
towards these species for first time keepers more so than any handling difficulty

I wouldn't really worry to much about the size, get a hatchling and as it gets bigger you hardly notice. But- if you want a snake thats smaller...how about a blonde spotted?

That is a very good point! BHP's are pretty hardy snakes so you have some room to work with them (make sure you are properly set up before you get one tho) and make sure it has started eating if it's a hatchie. Outside of a hatchie medium to large python, the stimmies, spotteds, childrens, stay small (up to 1m adult). Jungles can grow to 1.8m to 2.5m depending on locality. While they can be bitey as babies (and sometimes into adulthood), baby snake bites do not hurt at all. That said, I have spoken to several breeders on the subject of jungles and they all say the same thing: jungles are a snake best looked at but not touched (more than necessary for cleaning, etc...) Good luck with your selection!

Hey all after having a look and the snakes on the weekend i have decided on a Woma or a BHP but im most likely going with the Woma as a 1st snake. They are sooo relaxed as apposed to the B & G Jungle JUvi's i saw.. when he went to open the tank they straight away started coiling up, i think they are too much to handle as a 1st snake :(

Now i need to find a good topaz or uluru Woma pair to buy, because i want to breed them

No one has mentioned the incredible iridescence of the maccies! they are lovely, smallish snakes and imo great for a beginner. you can get varying shades, including a nice golden brown, the blondes.

i think the same stick with the spotteds or childrens then if you want go for the blondes or even striped morphs for some nice colours and patterns.

Lol, good luck getting a gtp, around the $12,000 mark for an adult, $2000 for a baby.
Childrens, Spotted and Stimsons pythons can all get great colouring and patterns, it just depends where you get it from and what subspecies you get. I myself want a Georgetown Stimsons Python but unfortunatly, I can't find any up for sale.
Try getting a spotted python, they can come in a blonde stage, which is really pretty.:)

No one has mentioned the incredible iridescence of the maccies! they are lovely, smallish snakes and imo great for a beginner. you can get varying shades, including a nice golden brown, the blondes.

i was thinkin this too as i read the post.
blonde mac's are gorgeous :D and they dont get too big.

Gee,. who are your contacts ?,. ill take 10 GTP's @ $2000 each,. they are more like $5000ea.

Sorry to give you the bad news, but in Victoria, Woma's are on the advanced license.

What area are you located in?

Hi Beben,
Another option is a Woma, as your in Vic, its easy to get an advanced licence.
Womas have a great nature, look fantastic and if you get a RHD or Tanami local they grow to around 4 foot.

i just goa a black and gold jungle, the get to about 5 foot if you get a pure jungle

i recon go with a spotted, mines great, loves to explore and is VERY slow moving here he is
attachment.php
attachment.php

or an MD, very chilled out and nice markings heres my girl
attachment.php

Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG0061A.jpg
    IMG0061A.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG0256A.jpg
    IMG0256A.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG0228A.jpg
    IMG0228A.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 155
Just my opinion but if you have never owned a snake before and your worried about size and biting then stick with something like a spotted or childrens. Once you have your confidence and knowledge up then get something bigger and better. Trust me your first snake will not be your last, just the beginning of many.

yeah its a hard choice,

i want one thats thin not thick and colourful :p

whats colours does childrens, spotted or stimpsons come in??

If you want a snake under one metre and something more colourful - then a pilbara or wheatbelt stimson would probably be the way to go, they have more yellow / red hues but these are usually hard to come across.

You might also look up blonde macs, or sw qld stimsons. Or if you have the money, you might try a caramel childrens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back