Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
looking forward to buying one of these in the future would be awesome if they dropped under the 1000 mark.

cheers

@ waruikaz, worse for the breeder not the buyer, pretty soon its gonna be at the stage where you keep what you wanna hold back and cull the rest if you can't sell it for 50 bucks. its great that there is so much variety in terms of suppliers but within a couple of seasons everyones gonna be a supplier and then who will you offload your excess to? i saw central beardeds advertised for $20 the other day and thick tailed geckos for $40, i picked up 2 macs and a childreni 18 months old last week for $160 the lot, (bargain!!) but where does that leave our hobby when there is no one left to sell to? will people keep line breeding? will we get to see the awesome colours and patterns that we all know are coming from some of the projects around? or with the sour taste of putting clutch after clutch in the freezer will everyone call it a day?

@ waruikaz, worse for the breeder not the buyer, pretty soon its gonna be at the stage where you keep what you wanna hold back and cull the rest if you can't sell it for 50 bucks. its great that there is so much variety in terms of suppliers but within a couple of seasons everyones gonna be a supplier and then who will you offload your excess to? i saw central beardeds advertised for $20 the other day and thick tailed geckos for $40, i picked up 2 macs and a childreni 18 months old last week for $160 the lot, (bargain!!) but where does that leave our hobby when there is no one left to sell to? will people keep line breeding? will we get to see the awesome colours and patterns that we all know are coming from some of the projects around? or with the sour taste of putting clutch after clutch in the freezer will everyone call it a day?
thats a bit melodramatic isnt it , there will allways be pepole out there who are willing to pay good $ for good quality animals .

Good quality animal are always going to fetch bigger dollars and be more in demand than say your average looking coastal or spotted (which still do sell at a lower price). There is always going to be a new flavor of the month as different morphs are bred and these are the animals that fetch the higher price tags due to being in high demand. It will chop and change all the time as different animals come in and out of 'fashion' .....as the hobby expands there will always be people to sell to.

I think a lot of breeders may not breed certain species because they are just to hard to get rid of i didnt worry even putting some together because the hassle of trying to get rid off them its an interesting time in the hobby to see what happens with prices i am waiting for the price to drop on albinos myself. but i am happy to pay good money for the right animals.

thats right, people are happy to pay good money for good animals but the supply can't keep up with the demand as far as good animals go, it takes a few seasons to develop anything new, so what happens to all the duds in between? perhaps a bit melo dramatic on my last post but its hard to get a point across with no tone of voice or waving of the arms.......

Curious what was the price range 10 years ago and the price range now? Juvies and Adults

What defines a 'dud' though? Everyone has different opinions on what it quality and their favourite snake to keep. Some of my favourite snakes are worth next to nothing to most people, while others are at the high end of the price scale.

Prices coming down is not evidence for mass euthenasing of entire clutches. What i think we are more likely to see is animals given away free and when these suppliers realize that they are working at a significant loss they will cease supplying.

I think you have your thinking twisted up. Prices coming down opens the market up, it doesn't close it down. Reptiles being available at less than $50 makes them affordable for many more people than when they were a few hundred bucks each.

thats right, people are happy to pay good money for good animals but the supply can't keep up with the demand as far as good animals go, it takes a few seasons to develop anything new, so what happens to all the duds in between? perhaps a bit melo dramatic on my last post but its hard to get a point across with no tone of voice or waving of the arms.......

AND! All you need to do is look at pet shop prices to get an idea of what the general public is happy to pay for a reptile. Those prices are still right up there. What we are seeing is that APS is coming to saturation point, we are producing more animals than we can sell to each other.

I agree - the pet shops prices are up there and they are only the smaller pythons species (childreni's). Pet shop prices are double if not more than APS and the APS breeders have much better selection, healthy, quality pythons than some/most pet shops.

AND! All you need to do is look at pet shop prices to get an idea of what the general public is happy to pay for a reptile. Those prices are still right up there. What we are seeing is that APS is coming to saturation point, we are producing more animals than we can sell to each other.

Yeah mate I agree, but we have a pet shop in Adelaide that ask very high prices for their specimens and they are so slow to move that some have been for sale for years! Yet I had some MDs advertised for $60 each on here and no one wanted them, so deleted the ad (kept them instead).

theres a pet shop in perth that has reptiles for sale all of them are in appauling conditions and are housed wrong (despite me having a sitdown with the manager and explaining basic husbandry for the species he had and citeing various books!), they charge the earth for them and the animals themselves are shhhhhithouse condition to the point where they regularly lose animals

example they have had some ackies for the better part of 4 years that still havent sold and wont sell due to the fact they want 450 (used to be 650) each for them and they are skinny and small, theyre colourless due to bad condition and have severe constriction to the point where they are missing most theyre limbs and large section of tail......

most of theyre stock that hasent died they have had since they got theyre licence to sell reptiles thats the better part of 5 years......

I know a pet shop that can't keep up with demand.

theres a pet shop in perth that has reptiles for sale all of them are in appauling conditions and are housed wrong (despite me having a sitdown with the manager and explaining basic husbandry for the species he had and citeing various books!), they charge the earth for them and the animals themselves are shhhhhithouse condition to the point where they regularly lose animals

example they have had some ackies for the better part of 4 years that still havent sold and wont sell due to the fact they want 450 (used to be 650) each for them and they are skinny and small, theyre colourless due to bad condition and have severe constriction to the point where they are missing most theyre limbs and large section of tail......

most of theyre stock that hasent died they have had since they got theyre licence to sell reptiles thats the better part of 5 years......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back