Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason, what Wokka actually said on page 15, was that 2 antaresia can be kept in a 2000cm2 or 40cm x 50cm enclosure. typo or not, which one is it? work it out, that's 20 square mtrs. QUOTE]

For those who are having trouble with the math, I suggest you stop trying to convert 2000cm2 to meters and stick with using cms... type 40 x 50 into your calculator and funny enough you come up with 2000... thats 2000cm2. L x W.

Jason, what Wokka actually said on page 15, was that 2 antaresia can be kept in a 2000cm2 or 40cm x 50cm enclosure. typo or not, which one is it? work it out, that's 20 square mtrs

50 cm x 40cm = 2000cm2
2000 cm² = 0.2 m² not 20 square mtrs
square root of 2000cm2 = 44.72135954

If you dont believe me..
think of a square. now divide that square into four equal sections.
each side has 2 units.
2 units x 2 units = 4 square units
square root of 4 = 2

instead of calculating the square root of 2000cm2 or calculating say 2000 / 50 = 40
your multiplying the area x the area or 2000cm2 x 2000cm2

hope that helps.. and hope even more that Im right :lol:

re DECC

from what i hear:
large monitores ie lacies, etc require somthing like 4 or 5 square metres.
coastals, diamonds, bredli, bhps etc are large and require about 4x2 feet.

Surely they would have to go off lengths of individual animals,antaresia could be anything up to 5 ft or so and a carpet could be hatcling size or 2 or 3 metres,they could probably in a practical sense onley go for terrestrial or aboreal species then individual size cages from length of individuals and ide say thats what will happen.

stop worrying about it, most of its just rumours so far. If they do release a size thats unreasonable then people can get angry and complain, but so far know one even knows if the sizes are resonable or not

Surely they would have to go off lengths of individual animals,antaresia could be anything up to 5 ft or so and a carpet could be hatcling size or 2 or 3 metres,they could probably in a practical sense onley go for terrestrial or aboreal species then individual size cages from length of individuals and ide say thats what will happen.

Thats what i have been thinking.
Would the requirement be for adult sizes only and will there be seperate sizes for different stages of life? (hatchie, yearling etc)

If not, its rediculous to think they will want people to keep say a hatchie childrens in a large adult size enclosure. There will be alot more 'why wont my snake eat' and 'escapee' threads.

Same goes for majority of lizards too...

Would the requirement be for adult sizes only and will there be seperate sizes for different stages of life? (hatchie, yearling etc)

If not, its rediculous to think they will want people to keep say a hatchie childrens in a large adult size enclosure. There will be alot more 'why wont my snake eat' and 'escapee' threads.

I heard minimum floor area for hatchlings or juveniles snakes of any species = 500cm2

Jason, what Wokka actually said on page 15, was that 2 antaresia can be kept in a 2000cm2 or 40cm x 50cm enclosure. typo or not, which one is it? work it out, that's 20 square mtrs. I apologise Wokka i was taking the mickey out of you slightly with my previous posts :) we are just finding this enclosure area discussion quite interesting, & are looking forward to seeing the same regulations happen in QLD & all over the country :) better sooner than later.

I went to school 40 years ago but hope things haven't changes too much.
cm2 means square centimeters. (I dont know how to do a little 2). Area equals length x breadth.
2000 cm2 could be 30cm x 66cm or 40cm x 50cm or 20cm x 100cm. This is a suggested minimum size for up to a pair of Anteresia, however there is also a suggestion that no demension should be less than one third of the snakes length so a 20 x 100 cage could only house 60cm long animals..

It is very hard to come up with one size fits all rules; I think formulas would be good although after seeing the difficulties of working out 2000cm2, I'm no so sure now.

Apples and oranges being compared here. 4000cm2 is an area of 4000cm X 4000cm
it is not 4000 sq cm

I am learning every day.

My impression was that 4000cm x4000cm = 16000000cm2

I am from old school, so maybe the new mathematics are more advanced.

I went to school 40 years ago but hope things haven't changes too much.
cm2 means square centimeters. (I dont know how to do a little 2). Area equals length x breadth.
2000 cm2 could be 30cm x 66cm or 40cm x 50cm or 20cm x 100cm. This is a suggested minimum size for up to a pair of Anteresia, however there is also a suggestion that no demension should be less than one third of the snakes length so a 20 x 100 cage could only house 60cm long animals..

I am also from old school wokka
I must agree that 40cm x 50cm is 2000cm2
But mate we are old people and the young generation is working indifferent dimension.;)

i thought it would be worked in cubic since their is height involved as well.
hahaha just to make it more interesting with your maths skill ,as i have none of my own

i thought it would be worked in cubic since their is height involved as well.
hahaha just to make it more interesting with your maths skill ,as i have none of my own

coz666 if this will be in cubic cm. just add another dimention to calculation.

40cm x 50cm x 50cm and this will be 100 000,00 cubic centimeters.

stop worrying about it, most of its just rumours so far. If they do release a size thats unreasonable then people can get angry and complain, but so far know one even knows if the sizes are resonable or not

thanks for that info dude :D thats a weight off my mind..

Last edited:

lol, why don't they know? is the draft "Version 1.6" a bogus plan put out by the DECC just to divert our minds whilst they are all playing golf at the Lakes?

Hi Slateman, i gather by your name you have probably layed a few floors with stone.. if you were to measure a floor area of 40cm x 50cm, would you order slate at 2000cm square? (which if you convert it, would then become 20mtrs square) or would you add the next formula to it :) if you were to measure the same floor area again, as .4mtrs x .5mtrs then the result would become .2 of a metre square,, yes? would you then order slate at 20mtr square? or .2mtrs square? i know which one i would order unless i needed a lot of leftovers :) sorry i am really not taking the mickey out of you :) i am finding this very hard to fathom whether people are being serious or not, i suppose that serves me right for starting it in the first place :)

I think the problem some people are having is that an area measurement stated as "2000cm2" is ambiguous because you can't superscript the "2". Can I suggest that we agree that "2000 square cm" = an area 50cm x 40cm and that "2000 cm square" = an area 2000cm x 2000cm. For those who really must use a "2", then put a "^" in front of it to show that it is superscripted (as per Excel formulas). In that case "2000cm^2" = "2000 square cm" = an area 50cm x 40cm.

Hi Slateman, i gather by your name you have probably layed a few floors with stone.. if you were to measure a floor area of 40cm x 50cm, would you order slate at 2000cm square? (which if you convert it, would then become 20mtrs square) or would you add the next formula to it :) if you were to measure the same floor area again, as .4mtrs x .5mtrs then the result would become .2 of a metre square,, yes? would you then order slate at 20mtr square? or .2mtrs square? i know which one i would order unless i needed a lot of leftovers :) sorry i am really not taking the mickey out of you :) i am finding this very hard to fathom whether people are being serious or not, i suppose that serves me right for starting it in the first place :)

wrong.
if anybody need slate for flore area 40cm x 50cm they will order 2000cm2 of slate dear.
I am sorry to disappoint you.
2000cm2 is equivalen to 0.2m2
not 2m2 that is where you have it wrong.
How could possibly 40x50cm be 2m2?

Please go back to school. I am making living by calculating areas in all dimentions all my life, I can't afford to be wrong here..:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back