Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fidz, I've been feeding roughly every 4-5 days while it was on pinkies, but since moving up to heavily fuzzy/hoppers I have cut back to once a week to avoid the dreaded prolapse monster. (Only started him on fuzzies about a fortnight ago)

I still havent met anyone who has actually had a prolapse occur yet, but once again, I'm far from being able to claim that I know anything or make solid conclusions, being my first GTP and all!

That said though, there still hasnt been a definative explaination for the cause of prolapse and while theory's abound, I'm just going to keep my "amature" cap firmly on and try to keep all of these theory's in mind, try not to push for any new discovery's in GTP care just yet.

I say this, cos as you would no doubt know, overfeeding is one of the main suspects in the big prolapse debate - not officially locked in as the definate cause, but one of the main theory's at least. I dont know if it is or isnt, but its not really somthing I think I have enough experience to make a call on just yet hehehe

I've noticed since moving up to hopper mice (a little larger than the pinky rats I was feeding but alot more developed fur) that my little Ophidian (thats his/her name hehehe) is no longer doing those whitish/watery/urate style defications, but has begun leaving more "developed" looking stools.

So because of this, I've backed off the 4-5 day feeding shedule (which was possibly a little too often anyway) and brought it back to one hopper mouse every 7-10 days. Just figure than I'm giving him a little more time to digest the obviously slightly more substantial meal! As I said, I'm not looking to break any records here just yet, preffering to follow the advice and remain within the safe margins this first time round :)

As for weight, I dont know. I have been slack and not weighed since I got him. He was roughly 13grams at the time, I havent noticed (because I see him a few times every day!) but I am sure he has grown.

He has shed 3 times since I've had him and twice (post hatch and first 8 week) before I got him from the breeder.

I will weigh him up one day soon, I just hate disturbing the poor little guy from the beauty sleep and in any case, he had a big juicy mousey last night, so he needs to sleep it off hahhaha

I'll get these details for you when I can mate...

Last edited:
thanks for that info.. we have the same methodology. mine weighs 35 grams and i feed the exact same as you.

heres some more info

Attachments

• snake records.xls
    278.5 KB · Views: 63
re Definate

Fews pics of mine today,small one is much the same,the largest one which would be about 6 months old and about 30 inches long has began getting more green on its body.

Last edited:
:( i love GTP"s but there way to much for me and i am only class 1 so i have to wait 2 yrs anyway but idk why u guys like them yellow i think green is so much better lookin i will admit they look so ugly when there changin there couler the mix of yellow and green aint to good lookin lol

re Definate

:( i love GTP"s but there way to much for me and i am only class 1 so i have to wait 2 yrs anyway but idk why u guys like them yellow i think green is so much better lookin i will admit they look so ugly when there changin there couler the mix of yellow and green aint to good lookin lol

You will get to class 2 jonhno and you will be able to get some,interesting statues,yeh they can look quite ugly when they are changing colour,alright when they finish though.

I dont know if its ur camera zulu, or its the "race" of GTP u have, but it always looks slightly different in the pics u post... like smooter scales, or longer head .. dont know, cant quite put my finger on it, but yeh!

re Definate

They are mixed race types mayhem that have been bred here for a while now,couple of pics of the little one from yesterday.

re Definate

See if this works,one pic is of the little one curled up there.

Last edited:
Had to clean the click clack today, Ophidian did a monster ******* hahahaha! anyways, yes the regular clean happened today, it was immediately obviouse upon bringing the click clack into natural light that shedding is about to take place, very dull almost greyish hue to the skin in natural sunlight and for the first time on my GTP, I actually could see the opaque tone to the eye scales today, so that confirmed it.

Opaque scales are pretty easy to notice on most snakes, but as GTP keeps will know, it seems to be a pretty hard thing to see on the little ones!

Anyway, I noticed this well before any touching/handling took place and although I did have to move him/her due to cleaning, it was of course minimal and pretty much volantary on the snakes behalf (therefore no new pics today).

(side note: all handling of my GTP is done as if the snake was in shed, or made of tissue paper, like all my snakes in fact, but just for the purpose of people wondering about handling, yes, reguardless of shed cycle or otherwise, all GTP handling is done with the upmost care and fragility)

There has been some more changes, the green has moved further down the body, still has a very definate "mottled green/yellow" look as you might see in the "speckled" style colouration specimens, but its obviously moving further and further down the body, becomming more solid each day as it progresses.

I estimate this change will be complete within the next 8 weeks, which means this has been a 3 month change from start to finish roughly - not the fastest on record, but it has taken place from about 4/5 months of age and he/she is also very healthy, which is what is important :)

I'll keep updating the pics once the shed has completed, just to keep a timeline for the thread :)

Thanks to all that are keeping up with the progress :D

hi Mayhem, glad to hear your snake is doing well. Mine is in the dirty stage and looking very very dirty. still no definite green though. thanks for your updates and post more pics when you can

here's what's happening with my 2 from last season
cheers HK.

Attachments

• 086_wm.jpg
    086_wm.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 075_wm.jpg
    075_wm.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 161
Bah, this winter heating/temp ting has really screwed around with the balance I had going, I think its basically caused a dry shed just due to the inconsistancies :(

I've got him in a small tub filed with wet paper towels on a heat mat now, so with a bit of luck all will come off in a few days, but yeh, a very inconsistant shed this time round.

I'm almost certain its due to the change in heating cycle/pattern and the resulting humidity differences - it has been pretty good (i thought) but turns out it could have been better... oh well, goin to spend the next 24/48 hrs while he's in the shedding tub to try and work out the main tub's heating arrangment now.

Hopefuly out get it all off. It will be difficult to see if the eyelid comes off

yeh his eyes look pretty clear, i'm not overly worried if the eye scales hold on till next shed, from what I gather it isnt the end of the world, but yeh, what is important to me is making sure the rest of the shed completes properly. Leaving him in the super humid, wet paper towels on heat mat tub overnight tonight, wont go checking on him too much because I want to keep the stress to a minimum, but will see what the result is tomorrow.

re Definate

Should be OK mayhim,heres the larger 6 month GT yesterday,getting plenty of green now.

Last edited:
He wasnt moving around his temporary wet tub enclosure or attempting to remove the shed at all tonight, he pretty much just curled up in a corner and stayed there all day and diddnt move at all even by late into tonight. Its 11:20pm now and I've just moved him back to his main enclosure with the perches, where he is less stressed and more comfortable. I also filled the bottom with warm, wet paper towels to keep humidity high. I got so worried about his lack of movement in that tub and general lifeless appearance that I've made this desicion to put him back in the main enclosure. I am going to get some assistance if things havent dramtically improved in way of shed by tomorrow.

Last edited:
dont stress too much mayhem, retained shed isnt very bad if you deal with it... couple of days he will be fine.

zulu how much do yours weigh, they look big

Ok, he's been back in his usual tub for approximately 1hr now, just checked up again - doing much better it seems. I can see a large pice of shed has come off already.

The usual alert nature that he has at night time when I aproach the tub is definately showing again (a little less vigorouse due to the shed though) and generally I am feeling pretty confident with my desicion to remove him from the small saturation type setup I had him in today (which I of course read in all the caresheets should this happen).

Will check again in another hour and see what progress has been made, then might call it a night, get some sleep and then do another check in the early hours of the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back