Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I new this would happen, Mr Greedy trying to make money off peices of rubbish.
I wouldnt pay one dollar for a hybrid wether it was het for albino or not.
IMO he needs to pull his head in and grow some sence.

Id imagine with 200+ hybrid hets there will be of course 200+ albino crosses and quite a few actual variegata albinos. Im sure the pretty albinos will sell, but hybrid hets - a few freezers will be busy I reckon - as has happened already if you believe the rumour - more important to protect a market than the animals well being.

It will be interesting to see how the NPWS pursue their non-cross breeding clauses and pursue non-breeding of albino species in Qld (not sure of other states but qld npws doesnt like albinos being bred).
They allow us to keep native animals - what will be there views when we show we arent happy with just natives.

When buying a het - wow - talk about breeder trust - imagine raising an animal for 3 years and breeding it to find you were sold a dud. but that surely wont happen will it?

Moreliaman, unfortunately that will always happen. You take a big gamble buying hets but the rewards can be big, you win some you lose some.
I think what we need to remember here is that we are all different, we all like different things, both sides are right but neither side is wrong but we should respect each others views and not make it personal. I have never understood the need to do that.
As long the animals aren't being hurt and in this situation they aren't then live and let live, if you don't want any then don't buy any but if you decide you do then buy them and enjoy.

Post subject: Designer Morphs Posted: Feb 01, 2006 - 10:30

If I had the choice of getting one pure albino darwin for say $5000 or a pair of hybrid hets for $5000 (ie the $2500ea originally suggested) I'd take the pure albino darwin anyday, but thats just me....

I"d also definately prefer for example, a pair of genunine darwins, het for albino for $5000pr than a pair of hybrids het for whatever.

Cheers

I'm not really for or against either - I agree with what many people have said here and in previous threads, that hybrids are the direction that we're heading in.
As for what I would rather buy? I would rather go the actual albino Vs the het b/c the risk is quite high that you will get a dud (unless of course you can afford to buy a few of them so that your chances are higher of getting 2 hets)
As for whether I would prefer pure or hybrid - for me, I would be buying for what the animal looks like. If it's an albino and its colours and patterns don't appeal to me, then I won't buy it. Same goes for a hybrid. But if its looks and colours DO appeal to me, I would buy either.
Price? If I liked it THAT much, I would try to scrape together what the breeder was asking, but if I couldn't afford it, then I just wouldn't buy it. Simple as that.
If womas were cheaper, I would have a pair already cos I really like what they look like, but I can't afford them so don't have them. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't pay if I didn't have the $$.
Just my (probably) ignorant opinion as I'm not very clued up when it comes to pythons.
Great subject by the way Ad ;)
Bex

As for Lukes opinion, he says that he would go a pure any day because once you start crossinging animals, you get a mixture of genes and it's not really a Bredli, or a Darwin, or a Woma anymore. It's just a different looking 'python'.

Bex, you bring up some good and interesting points. Firstly I would like to say that I think the future is morphs, not hybrids. Hybrids will I feel play a part but I think morphs generally will be the big winners.
How many people can honestly say they would phone a seller and say 'yeah just send me anyone of the hatchlings, I don't care what it looks like' ? That doesn't happen or at least it shouldn't. We pick and choose our animals by the way they look or often more importantly the way the parents look.
If an animal appeals to someone it wont make any difference to that person what the parents where. The money side of it is a different matter, we will pay what we can afford and no more, as you rightly say.
Buying hets isn't always a gamble but certainly buying possible hets is.
No opinion is ignorant by the way. You don't have to know pythons you only need to know what you like.

It is interesting to see how the voting is going, pretty much as I would have expected. Interesting because the majority voted the same as me price wise.

I have included a photo of a carpet morph, now totally disregarding the fact that it was crossed, hybridised or whatever how many people can say with their hand on their heart that they wouldn't have this animal in their collection ?
Again this is the kind of animal that these theoretical hets can and do produce and has a huge bearing on what the average keeper is prepared to pay.
Jag.jpg

Mr greedy here, There is a big difference between a possible het and a definitive. You would be absolutely stupid to buy a possible het given the odds. But a definite het would insure you albinos in your first year breeding them. I would not bother with possible and it is highly unlikely that i would sell my definite hets. There you go, Mr Greedys opinion!!!!! I know of many top breeders who are going to cross out! So its not just me with that idea. And just by the way, I have never paid for a het of any type of albino or morph. I like to know what i am getting, so go Homozygous!!!!!!!

I would rather one of these - and it is a pure locale animal.

I vote for who cares.
A hyrbid het what?
Scrubby X two headed taipan?
You aren't getting a result with your poll, you are asking maybe 0.1% or less of the herpers in australia and not even a decent cross section at that.
Pay what ya like for what ya like I say.
No way known would i pay $1k for a jungle, yet it's done all the time.

Boa i can honestly say i wouldn't want that in my collection, because it's hybrid, you can't put the fact aside that it is.
The way i see hybrids is that they have no natural history behind them, just a freak that someone made in their house.

Alot of the reason i love the reptile species i keep is because of where they come from and why they are the way they are, it amazes me that mother nature can create such perfect animals to live in our various enviroments, i appreciate that. It's one of the most interesting things about them.
To me that makes all the difference.

What can you say about a hybrid?...............it's a snake, thats it. Not very special or interesting really.

Well said dug, IMO pure speices albinos are worth money, hybrids wether albino or not arnt worth any thing.
Why breed some thing that will be worth stuff all when the real thing is worth good money. Only a pretentious fool would pay good money for a mongel, wether its amelainistic, het or normal.

And I totally respect that opinion. Why do you assume that snake is a hybrid ? What gives it away to you ? If it wasn't in fact a hybrid would it alter your view ?

dugadugabowbow said:
Boa i can honestly say i wouldn't want that in my collection, because it's hybrid, you can't put the fact aside that it is.
The way i see hybrids is that they have no natural history behind them, just a freak that someone made in their house.

Yes that's a very nice snake Adam and I could find a place for it, not a big Jungle fan but it's nice.

boa said:
I have included a photo of a carpet morph, now totally disregarding the fact that it was crossed, hybridised or whatever how many people can say with their hand on their heart that they wouldn't have this animal in their collection ?

Steve, I can honestly say even if I was offered one for free I would not take it, I have no reason to, most crosses look pretty crap or at the least not as good as the parents, so they would have no look appeal that non cross wouldn't have.

They are mixed blood, just something a person created, I can't even say which general reigon they come from, I could just as easily get a nice animal with locale background that has unique traits to it's area, habitat or region, I can say, This animal come from this region an occupies this type of habitat ect.

As for the albino gene, albino's are ok in my books, but they aren't as appealing to me really and I could always get a pure albino anyway(well, not easily if every one crosses their albinos to this and that). And I have no interest what so ever in making big money off my herps, so creating a fleet of hybrid mongrels to sell is of no interest to me.

Boa, I don't really see much in that animal to be brutally honest, just looks strange to me, a mate showed me a pic of a nice Brissie Carpet, the animal has nice patterns and colourations and I truely see it as more beautiful than the animal in the pic you posted and I can say the geo-graphic reigon it is from, the different traits it has to other Carpets from QLD and know it is something created by the amazing forces and pressures of nature.

I would also much prefer the animal Ad posted to the one you did and could happily tell people the natural history of that reigonal variant, looks are a factor in choosing snakes, but not the only one, I could get a 'pretty' snake, or a 'pretty' snake with a natural history.

And it's not hard at all to get garenteed pure animals, Rob and many more respected breeders have some of the most gorgeous animals, with background information of their natural history to go with them. I don't see snakes as pets, I see them as our marvalous Native Fauna which we are priveliged to keep, and I don't see how making them into the latest in designer fashion has any real purpose, appeal or respect for our unique contry and all that comes from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back