Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one am not to worried about the gtp's prices, I'm more worried about what happens after the big gtp fad... 'It's morphin time !'. After all true coloured snakes, and by this I mean natural colours. What next?!.
Although along way away, we will eventually see snakes with unatural colours such as those sold be greg maxwell. Each snake unique and going for prices that will blow your mind!...

As for Weigel, he's a very lucky man to have gotten where he is and to be in the position he is in now...in my opinion anyway.

He is very lucky, for sure. My problem is not so much with him, it's with the people who let the monopoly fall into one person's hands. They should have realised that this would give that one person the power to do what is being done. As much as I disagree with the government and don't like them having power, this is one situation where I think the first animals should have gone to the government (thus publicly owned) and been bred in large numbers, the information obtained distributed freely to anyone who wanted it and then the animals sold at a reasonable price (these are publicly owned, so no greed needs to be involved) with the money going back to the state or federal conservation budget. Everyone wins including the snakes and no one has the ability to monopolise the market.

It's too late for the rough scaled pythons, but it's a lesson to be learned, which I think should be used in the case of the Oenpelli pythons, Australian chondro, Western olive python and countless others and should have been used for the entire WA collection system.

good post sdaji, u should get into arguements more often

I used to get involved in almost all of them, I learned not to. I suppose I've forgotten for long enough to get involved in this one! No doubt I'll here learn the lesson again and keep away from the conflict again, until I forget the lesson........

:)

Id like to know how many actually get sold. If he has over 100 how many of us are in a position to buy one.. Maybe he will but if he doesnt will he keep the price at that or do you think he will lower it?

I dont have a problem with it as I think there are many more beautiful snakes we can keep in the meantime than the gtp, as for being a millionaire well good on him. Think about it, go and by a few pairs off him, big outlay, but MASSIVE return down the track. Forget the stock exchange peoples!!

Roy has worked very hard to get to this stage, I am still bewildered by the fact that people are lining up to pay this sort of money, at best they are a $3000 animal. GTP's are not terribly difficult to breed and this is shown in the price overseas, around US$300. I am not talking about wild caught babies but GTP's that are bred each and every year by numerous breeders all over the world.
Why has it taken so long to get to this point where one breeder is getting in excess of 100 hatchlings ?
I know all about 'them' having access to many more snakes but this still doesn't explain why after all these years an animal that has good sized clutches and is not hard to breed should still sell for $10,000 ?
I also agree that I see no evidence of Woma and BHP prices dropping, they appear to be holding firm and good quality animals show no sign of dropping in value.

The main thing about overseas pricing is that they have had decades of legal breeding to get high and wide spread stock levels. In Australia different states have had only years of breeding for stock, in WA its only 3 years. I doubt any one in NSW would pay $1250 for a carpet python like we do in WA. Time will make our hobby cheaper - decades not years.

For those that are making money out of it - Good on them it is only good for all of us long term, as the more people interested in the hobby the more polictical power we'll have.

Sten

BeardyBen said:
Put me down for 3 kilos of gigantic tiger prawns please

At nearly $10k for a hatchling that is a mega price for a tiger prawn - you will do much better at the local fish monger ;-)

We've had a a bit longer than few years I think. We've had less time not being able to import than when we could import right? So they've been in collections for a long time, long enough to have a good sized captive breeding collection. Perhaps people are just too scared to sell red babies now that it's illegal to have exotics?
But then I could just be ranting :roll: [/b]

I think it's quite smart. As for Weigel, he's a very lucky man to have gotten where he is and to be in the position he is in now...in my opinion anyway.
[/quote]
Luck is winning the lottery. John worked hard for over 10 years and spent tens of thousands of dollars locating and collecting those animals without any guarantee what so ever of even finding one, let alone being granted permits to collect them.
Sadji, where have got the info that he is sitting on hundreds of them? Yes he has had quite a bit of success in breeding them but has also had to satisy obligations of his original permits regarding the offspring.
I'd be taking what is written on Pails site with a grain of salt and wouldn't read too much into it at all. Why would you be trying to get an absolute permium price for such a rare snake then imply that you have over a hundred of them for sale?

If I had the money and the opportunity, I would do the same as Roy. Good on him. IMO :) (probably sell them cheaper though for a quicker turnover among other reasons :)

Splitmore said:
Luck is winning the lottery. John worked hard for over 10 years and spent tens of thousands of dollars locating and collecting those animals without any guarantee what so ever of even finding one, let alone being granted permits to collect them.

Personally I think he's been lucky in the fact that he's been able to do all that (gotten the permits etc.) and not be a qualified herpetologist funded by the government. Even more lucky that he's been able to keep the animals that were collected for research? and breed them as a personal venture.

I also agree that I see no evidence of Woma and BHP prices dropping, they appear to be holding firm and good quality animals show no sign of dropping in value
i agree boa, i have been looking into BHP's lately, and the 'good stuff' is still worth a fortune.

Just my 2 cents..... If people like pails were operating out of their garage or spare room then $1 million is a tidy sum. As a business owner I am fully aware of operational costs and the many risks involved in running a business and if it takes off after much hard work then good luck to you. I bet if Roy turns over $1mill for his chondros there will be substantially less than that in his bank account at the end of the day.

I dont believe people complaining how much people are making and their prices, we make the prices.If people wont pay that much, the price will come down. As for John, if it wasnt for him there wouldnt be any r.s.p in captivity, of course he should be the winner out of this.If you do the work, you should reap the benefits, simple as that.

pike1 said:
I dont believe people complaining how much people are making and their prices, we make the prices.If people wont pay that much, the price will come down. As for John, if it wasnt for him there wouldnt be any r.s.p in captivity, of course he should be the winner out of this.If you do the work, you should reap the benefits, simple as that.

right on....

BeardyBen wrote: ›Put me down for 3 kilos of gigantic tiger prawns please

At nearly $10k for a hatchling that is a mega price for a tiger prawn - you will do much better at the local fish monger

hehehe :):):) looks like ill have to just settle for regular prawns for the time being.... probably taste like crap anyways.... :)

If you do the work, you should reap the benefits, simple as that.

I think people are probably more saying that they would have liked to have done the work, but weren't given the opportunity :). Geez if someone had given me the opportunity to keep and breed the only RSP in captivity I wouldn't have turned it down :lol:

It is probably not the right time of year to be making this assessment. The real test is when the hatchlings start coming onto the market in a couple of months time.

A couple of years ago $1200 was common for BHP's.

Last year the going rate was around $800. Even one of our local pet shops was selling them for about that much.

My hunch is that you will be able to get good animals for close to $600 this hatchling season.

Adults and unusual morphs are a whole different kettle of fish of course.

Azztech said:
I also agree that I see no evidence of Woma and BHP prices dropping, they appear to be holding firm and good quality animals show no sign of dropping in value
i agree boa, i have been looking into BHP's lately, and the 'good stuff' is still worth a fortune.

600 for good hatchling bhp's? thatll be the day

heres a comparison for u.

there are breeders that sell pairs of womas each year for 5k and ppl are lining up for them. theyre quality animals and so you pay the price theyre worth.

URS recently sold woma hatclings for 1600. these animals were out of season and from the pics i saw not stunning animals by any stretch, but they sold for that price cause thats what they were worth.

the bottom line is you pay for what you get. top quality animals will always fetch the usual price and sometimes more.

re GTP

If i had that much supply of GTPS,and i wanted 10K each i wouldnt be letting on that i had a hundred,ide say i havent got many left and sell last one many times over. :lol:

Good on Pails and Weigal!

Both of them love these animals and are doing it to make them available in the community, i can't wait to get my hands on a r.s.p, and a g.t.p, but the cost keeps me away, for now. But being a patient and rational human i can wait! When i get rich then i can get one, but for now i'm content knowing there are people out there trying to make this hobby better!

So get off there backs with all the 'greedy' talk, it's not like they've discovered the cure for cancer and are selling it to make millions of pain and misery, they had the time, the skills and luck to be in the situation where they could, and i for onje am glad they took the plunge and investedso much time in their respective projects!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back