Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely you don't really believe that?Have you seen a clutch of coastals? If you have, you'd have seen how much variety is within a clutch.When someone posts up a jungle they bred which looks amazing, but they won't post a pic of its sibling that is on the opposite end of the scale.

Now this is a pretty dangerous argument for any hybrid breeder to use
Hybrids are bred for colour/pattern........ full stop
Coastals are bred to be coastals..... full stop

If I was to buy a Hybrid I would want good colour/pattern
With a coastal I couldnt care less as it is simply a coastal and lovely to me anyway

But no-one will want to buy an ugly hybrid
So while a pure coastal of any description will always find a market; a bad hybrid is just a waste of space, and as you so rightly pointed out; there are usually more bad ones than good ones

Just idle curiousity but what do you do with the poorly coloured hybrids that hatch in your clutches
Over here they just bag them or use them as food for other reps

Hybrids are bred for colour/pattern........ full stop
Coastals are bred to be coastals..... full stop

If I was to buy a Hybrid I would want good colour/pattern
With a coastal I couldnt care less as it is simply a coastal and lovely to me anyway

But no-one will want to buy an ugly hybrid
So while a pure coastal of any description will always find a market; a bad hybrid is just a waste of space, and as you so rightly pointed out; there are usually more bad ones than good ones

Very true, but when you think about it, people buy an animal for a couple of reasons and this applies for both pure and hybrid species.
1. They look for someone selling the animals they are after.
2. They ask for pictures of what is available.
3. They select the one that THEY think is good looking.

So everyone is selecting the best looking ones to start with. This is not always the case, but they then try and find another animals that would compliment the original's colours/patterns when bred together.
Really anyone who breeds either wants to do it for experience or they want to produce more colourful (aka better) versions of their species they keep.

And where did I "rightly pointed out" that there are more bad ones than good ones?
Not one post by myself has stated anywhere that there is more of one than the other.
I said there is a scale, like in all clutches.

Just idle curiousity but what do you do with the poorly coloured hybrids that hatch in your clutches
Over here they just bag them or use them as food for other reps
Well considering I haven't bred any hybrids I cannot comment on that.
I own a number, but haven't bred any.

Last edited:
Most of the "designer everything" is not protected by law and illegal to create. That's the difference.

The same law makers that couldn't give a crap about snakes in general? They're a bunch of toothless tigers. I find it strange how they can legislate about making something illegal (in some States that is) with no rhyme or reason behind it. It's a joke, and nobody takes it seriously anyway.

That's good to have a tough attitude.
Many moons ago, 9 officers from different sections of the law enforcement knocked on my door at 5am, went though my house like a cyclone, left with my possessions .... when I met them again in the Court, I did take them seriously.
I hope you won't have to learn respect in the same way.

Very true, but when you think about it, people buy an animal for a couple of reasons and this applies for both pure and hybrid species.
1. They look for someone selling the animals they are after.
2. They ask for pictures of what is available.
3. They select the one that THEY think is good looking.

So everyone is selecting the best looking ones to start with. This is not always the case, but they then try and find another animals that would compliment the original's colours/patterns when bred together.
Really anyone who breeds either wants to do it for experience or they want to produce more colourful (aka better) versions of their species they keep.

And where did I "rightly pointed out" that there are more bad ones than good ones?
Not one post by myself has stated anywhere that there is more of one than the other.
I said there is a scale, like in all clutches.

Well considering I haven't bred any hybrids I cannot comment on that.
I own a number, but haven't bred any.

I must apologise for stating 'As you so rightly pointed out', or that you said there is a scale
Sorry; an inference is not a statement

Surely you don't really believe that?Have you seen a clutch of coastals? If you have, you'd have seen how much variety is within a clutch.When someone posts up a jungle they bred which looks amazing, but they won't post a pic of its sibling that is on the opposite end of the scale.

That's good to have a tough attitude.
Many moons ago, 9 officers from different sections of the law enforcement knocked on my door at 5am, went though my house like a cyclone, left with my possessions .... when I met them again in the Court, I did take them seriously.
I hope you won't have to learn respect in the same way.
Wait... why did they take your possessions?

IVe heard its tough to get any "pure" reptiles in the US at all. Which is what I love about Australia that we still have such dedicated breeders working so hard to keep our animals all natural.

Depends what species... they get a lot of WC species brought in every year so in that respect it's pretty spot on in "purity" and locality even.

Eventually. They didn't do any good, all charges were dropped. They forgot that they gave me a permit to collect 100 tiger snakes and misidentified 2 of the tigers as Eastern browns. It was a real laugh in the Court, all over in 5 minutes, the Magistrate said he "I need a tea break after this".

Eventually. They didn't do any good, all charges were dropped. They forgot that they gave me a permit to collect 100 tiger snakes and misidentified 2 of the tigers as Eastern browns. It was a real laugh in the Court, all over in 5 minutes, the Magistrate said he "I need a tea break after this".

My point exactly. Do these people even know what they're dealing with half the time? Sounds like incompetence can be added to that list as well. I think they're the ones walking tough, talking tough and using bully-boy tactics, but again doing nothing for general wildlife protection other than targeting those who are legally registered and generally trying to do the right thing. They treat us like a bunch of cash cows.

That is a stunning looking snake, it will be very interesting to see how they progress colour wise. I am looking forward to working with these myself. Well done.

Hi,

I have recently produced a clutch of hybrid gtp's x jaguar carpet Carpondro's, whats everyone's view on this?

DSCF0259.jpg

One of the hatchlings :)

I always laugh when people talk about not being able to get pure Australian species overseas, as you say even exact locality would be known in many cases.

Depends what species... they get a lot of WC species brought in every year so in that respect it's pretty spot on in "purity" and locality even.

done it with dogs why not do it with snakes? we dont play god we select the few that have positive traits and breed them to make more lovely snakeys for us

I always laugh when people talk about not being able to get pure Australian species overseas, as you say even exact locality would be known in many cases.

No one has said its not possible just tough. Which with american herpers ive talked to they have said its tough to find Australian species that aren't jags/cross breeds.

done it with dogs why not do it with snakes? we dont play god we select the few that have positive traits and breed them to make more lovely snakeys for us

Is it you in your avatar?

Why not?

We are not keeping our pet snakes for conservation. In my respectful opinion the only reason that bloodlines play a part in a snake's heritage is health and/or reproductive ability, but there are many people who have snakes that will never breed them. I understand that many people on this site are snake breeders but the lineage of a captive carpet snake has no more relevance to the genetic identity of the breed than a corgi does to a timber wolf. As I understand it DNA testing can differentiate between Australian and foreign GTP's- why not hybrids?

We are not keeping our pet snakes for conservation. In my respectful opinion the only reason that bloodlines play a part in a snake's heritage is health and/or reproductive ability, but there are many people who have snakes that will never breed them. I understand that many people on this site are snake breeders but the lineage of a captive carpet snake has no more relevance to the genetic identity of the breed than a corgi does to a timber wolf. As I understand it DNA testing can differentiate between Australian and foreign GTP's- why not hybrids?
I like to think conservation though captive propagation is ggood. Think If we keep provatley bred reptiles we are taking the pressure of the wildlife through illegal collection.

Groundhog day........................................................."NO"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back