Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well was speaking from an aussie side of things ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dont know that much about exotics never have to encounter them when I am out catching........but if you say so ,,,,,,,,,should of elaborated more on the names of these exotics as now you got me interested..........

The famous Boomslang would probably be the most well known. Dispholidus typus (boomslang) and Thelothornis capensis (Cape twig snake) are the only two that i am aware of but i am sure there are more.

well see I have heard of a boomslang,but didnt realise what type of snake it was.........:) like I said I really only know of Aussie ones.....thanks anyway and if anyone else can name more or put up pics would be good.........

Do copperheads breed readily in captivity ? can any one comment? thanks.

the pics are great .............dan nothing wrong with saving a snake good on you ........nothing wrong with taking a good look at them either in the wild as long as they go back where you found them from...........some of us are a little more hands on with looking hey dan:)

Haha yea exactly
And I let it go about 20 metres from where the cat had it (but safe from the cat)
cheers

The Asian Keelbacks Rhadpophis have caused death, as has Boomslangs and Twig Snakes from Africa. There are reports of significant evenomation by Mussarana's (from South America) and Giant Madagasy Hog Nosed Snakes Leioheterodon. There are mixed reports about the toxicity of Philodryas (a genus of smallish tree dwellers) from South and Central America, but presently they considered to be dangerous.

In the pet trade in the US a number of small green snakes for petshops have slipped through to be actually Boomslangs and Mambas......Well a bonus for some but a very scary thing for others!

Generally It appears that death from Colubrids comes from Renal Failure due to the breaking down of the blood vessel walls, this in turn overloads the kidneys (the bodys filters if you will) causing them to fail.

A number of prominent herpetologists lost their lives to Boomslangs in the late 1900's

Cheers,
Scott

thanks scott interesting read....sort of glad in Aussie we dont have any major concerns with our colubrids.:)

Few more

Attachments

• adder0001.JPG
    adder0001.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 154
  • adder0019.JPG
    adder0019.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 124
Do copperheads breed readily in captivity ? can any one comment? thanks.
I have only had them breed once for me and it was when i didnt expect it.
Years ago (late 70s early 80s) i kept them in a pit, I actually had three pits in my mum and dads backyard that i used to keep local vic snakes and lizards in.
My dad even helped me with the construction of these pits.
One year i was lucky enough to observe a mating of a pair of copperheads.
The mating resulted in a brood of 16 young..
Havnt had a lot of luck with breeding them since but i know a guy who has just recently
wittnessed matings in his outdoor pits.

A couple of pics of a young Kununurra Kingy.

Attachments

• Kununurra Kingy 001.jpg
    Kununurra Kingy 001.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Kununurra Kingy 002.jpg
    Kununurra Kingy 002.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 216
the big O

Attachments

• henry 001 (Medium).jpg
    henry 001 (Medium).jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 117
Some pictures of a King Brown and some of the different colour/pattern variations of tiger snakes.

Attachments

• 119_0764.jpg
    119_0764.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 119_0761.jpg
    119_0761.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 255
  • 119_0768.jpg
    119_0768.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 237
You couldnt go past this stunning Inland taipan.

Attachments

• 119_0795.jpg
    119_0795.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 119_0791.jpg
    119_0791.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 119_0789.jpg
    119_0789.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 128
A couple more Speckled Browns.

Attachments

• elapids 007.jpg
    elapids 007.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 204
  • elapids 010.jpg
    elapids 010.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 187
Thos especkled browns are beautiful. Are they only young and then change colour?

Anyone else got some photos?
I know for a fact Shane you've got heaps more!!
What about Jamgo??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back