Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
**** photo
sssmarshies.jpg

didn't you get that tiger from melbourne? Weren't we talking about it? :? :p

Yeah it was, sorry i have a memory like a sieve! He's settled down a fair bit now- i was SO scared of him when he turned up! I'd never had a snake as crazy as him but he's a good boy now. Still hisses and strikes but it's mostly just bluff (but i never let my guard down!)

Nice, he still looks good. Have you found him a date yet?

Nice, he still looks good. Have you found him a date yet?

No, I'm thinking about selling him. I want some Mt Gambia's coz my female passed away in October, that's why i bought him- for her. I was SO mad and upset, i still miss her heaps, she was really something. Not sure of the cause of death yet, my vet has looked at her and is waiting back for more info from herp vets (coz he's not one). He found congested lungs and haemorrhaging around her stomach and throughout. She lost a lot of blood, it was awful. I have a few ideas as to what it could be but i'm not sure. Actually, i was going to start a new thread to ask if anyone had any ideas- just to try help my vet out a bit because he's not having much success (i think he posted most mortum results and photo's on a vet website and is waiting for replies)? I have photo's too but they're pretty horrific.

Actually, i was going to start a new thread to ask if anyone had any ideas- just to try help my vet out a bit because he's not having much success (i think he posted most mortum results and photo's on a vet website and is waiting for replies)? I have photo's too but they're pretty horrific.

Get em' up Colletts. There are alot of us around here who are interested in illnesses and the like. Just put a squeamish warning in the title.

Constant heat exposure and not freezing them in winter. It happens pretty regularly...seems to affect females more than males. Other things would probably contribute to it aswell.

Edit- Your vet won't be able to tell you much.

Constant heat exposure and not freezing them in winter. It happens pretty regularly...seems to affect females more than males. Other things would probably contribute to it aswell.

Edit- Your vet won't be able to tell you much.

Really!?!? I live in central Qld so i guess it's pretty hot up here for Tigers but in summer i don't have them on heat, unless i feed them and am worried it's too cool for them to digest. And i did cool her this year because i wanted to breed from her. I have a feeling though that her last few winters were spent on heat, but i'm not sure i'd have to talk to her previous owner.

These are the few things i think it may be, in order from most likely to least:
1. poisoning- i USED to buy my rodents from a back yard breeder. If she had bait around for the wild rodents, it could have been carried up and dropped into the enclosures and the woman just thought the captive mouse had died and put it in the freezer and sold it. I asked the vet and he said that these symptoms are common in rodent bait poisoning.

2. sodium in water- recently we had a lot of flood water pumped into our system so our tap water was high in sodium (i don't know how that works) We were assured it wasn't going to harm us so i wasn't worried, it just tasted a bit funny. My animals were drinking this tap water for about a month until it got really bad, so I switched them over to bought water. No other snakes were affected, and i though out of all of them it wouldn't be the TIger because of the Tigers that live on the islands-surely they would ingest high amounts of salted water?

3. male introduced- he's either bitten, her but i've been told same species except for the Collett's don't affect each other. OR he could have brought something nasty in and passed it on. He was originally a wild caught snake, thought to be in captivity for 3-5 years now.

Does that give you all a bit more info? ALso, she was found with her mouth agape, had defecated (no blood though) and the blood she lost came from her mouth. It was all fresh blood, no dark clumps. Going by the marks in her enc, she did A LOT of thrashing around so was obviously in a LOT of pain. It was bloody awful :cry:

I still think it's from not cooling them enough in winter, have no proof to back it up yet unfortunately..Seems similar to that diamond python syndrome that the python people blabber on about.
Fourth time I've heard it happening this season alone, including one of mine, all females, all died the exact same way, all from people who live in qld or nsw.

Hay collets.... A simular thing happened with my pale headed i came home and she was dead prior to that she developed some swelling .....i thought she was just ovulating but obviously i was wrong so i decided to have a look inside and i found that the swelling was her heart and her liver was full of blood to .....

Tigers can digest food at 20c they don't need much heat.Did you get the vet to look for parasites?,some snakes can have parasites and are not affected to bad and others can just die.I lost a tiger last week,i am now treating all my animals for parasites.

Yeah i thought parasites too but i doubt parasites could have affected her the way it did, with all the thrashing and blood loss.

When ever i offered her heat to digest she laid on it so i thought she knew best and i was doing the right thing.

Geeze, i wouldn't have thought that temperature would affect them this much. This is scary. I'll post some pics Wed night in a new thread, i'm out of town until then.

Thanks for your thoughts so far guys.

I understand that you need lots of snake handling experience too keep hot snakes, but are they hard too keep? And wat sorta licences do u need?

I understand that you need lots of snake handling experience too keep hot snakes, but are they hard too keep? And wat sorta licences do u need?
ven shakes are easy to keep if not easyer than pythons some people get on there hi horse about them all you need is a bit of common sence in vic all you need advanced lic more people get killed on there motor bike than by snakes :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back