Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, thanks everyone, i get the whole 'hot' thing now- just like chilli- good explaination!

I'm just starting a new thread regarding the Pale-head mentioned above. Could i please get some advice, i'm not sure what to do with the poor fella? Ta.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks everyone, i get the whole 'hot' thing now- just like chilli- good explaination!

I'm just starting a new thread regarding the Pale-head mentioned above. Could i please get some advice, i'm not sure what to do with the poor fella? Ta.
CHILLI was the only way I could explain it :lol:

Really!?!? I live in central Qld so i guess it's pretty hot up here for Tigers but in summer i don't have them on heat, unless i feed them and am worried it's too cool for them to digest. And i did cool her this year because i wanted to breed from her. I have a feeling though that her last few winters were spent on heat, but i'm not sure i'd have to talk to her previous owner.

These are the few things i think it may be, in order from most likely to least:
1. poisoning- i USED to buy my rodents from a back yard breeder. If she had bait around for the wild rodents, it could have been carried up and dropped into the enclosures and the woman just thought the captive mouse had died and put it in the freezer and sold it. I asked the vet and he said that these symptoms are common in rodent bait poisoning.

2. sodium in water- recently we had a lot of flood water pumped into our system so our tap water was high in sodium (i don't know how that works) We were assured it wasn't going to harm us so i wasn't worried, it just tasted a bit funny. My animals were drinking this tap water for about a month until it got really bad, so I switched them over to bought water. No other snakes were affected, and i though out of all of them it wouldn't be the TIger because of the Tigers that live on the islands-surely they would ingest high amounts of salted water?

3. male introduced- he's either bitten, her but i've been told same species except for the Collett's don't affect each other. OR he could have brought something nasty in and passed it on. He was originally a wild caught snake, thought to be in captivity for 3-5 years now.

Does that give you all a bit more info? ALso, she was found with her mouth agape, had defecated (no blood though) and the blood she lost came from her mouth. It was all fresh blood, no dark clumps. Going by the marks in her enc, she did A LOT of thrashing around so was obviously in a LOT of pain. It was bloody awful :cry:

Got the call from the vet who did the autopsy. He managed to get onto a herp vet and his suggestions were:
1. rodent bait (for those of you who havne't been following, see above quote)- which is what i had always thought it was. He said along with the blood clotting, the congested lungs are a common symptom of rodent poisoning. I've learnt my lesson to never buy from a backyard breeder unless i know them myself, so keep this in mind when buying from private suppliers.
2. Septiceamia- bacterial infection of the blood and lungs
3. He didn't completely rule out that it could have been the male that had bitten her. He wasn't quite sure which species can possibly affect each other but said it's unlikely.

I will never know exactly what caused the death because when she died i had no way of getting her to a vet within 24 hours and we were due to go on holidays so things were pretty hectic. So when i found her i just through her in the freezer knowing that she could still be looked at (but not tested), which was better than nothing.

I feel a bit better knowing now what the cause could have been, but still feel bloody awful that it could have easily been prevented.

R.I.P "Honey" :cry:

Attachments

• 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 257

I'm on the look out for some more Mt Gambia's so if anyone knows of any plz p.m (i'm not getting my hopes up though coz i know they're uncommon and would sell in a flash). Ta.

well Jonno here is your TAIPAN pic .................
DSCF0745.jpg

see I said I would get a pic now (just didnt say where I got it from:))

some more pics

Attachments

• baby adder.jpg
    baby adder.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 129
  • mulga e.jpg
    mulga e.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 161
  • tigerwizz.jpg
    tigerwizz.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 128
Those adders are great, Just how many sub species are there? I've seem Antarticus Southern); Praelongus (Northern) and Pyrrhus (Desert), where does Barkly fit and I've heard others mentioned.?

Barkly is a location they are commons (antarcticus). All the ones you just mentioned are usually classed as seperate species, not sub-species. There is also wellsi.

Barkly is a location they are commons (antarcticus). All the ones you just mentioned are usually classed as seperate species, not sub-species. There is also wellsi.
barkley is a northern adder its related to the floodplain adder i think both fall under hawkei now .... no antarcticus in the NT.

well done Fay, now where are those hatchie pics :D

Here's a few of this season's.

Attachments

• baby elapids 001.jpg
    baby elapids 001.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 296
  • baby elapids 002.jpg
    baby elapids 002.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 272
  • baby elapids 003.jpg
    baby elapids 003.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 362