Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had this conversation with Sdaji the other day...nearly all QLD Red Bellies have a brown, cream or red nose but every now and then you get one with a black nose too.

DSCF1316.jpg

typical Queensland Rbbs.....from Gympie ...

Well, I have to admit I have never really looked at Black snake noses, but just went back through my pics of Sydney blacks, and some had brown and some had black noses... A few years back I located a truely massive RBB, I saw it quite regularly at a particular spot, the last four inches of it's tail was brownish, it looked like the black had faded out with age and size..this snake was a monster...
a pic of a Sydney one ( not the monster I was talking about sorry, but from the same spot)
z-6.jpg

Doesn't seem to matter where they come from...there all just amazing.

Jonno...you told me last weekend that you know of some with white noses, you wouldn't happen to have any pics?

Cheers

IMG_1091.jpgWhat about the "Hot rod flames" on a hatchie Collets,,,Still pretty impressive..... My little yearling Collets,, burning up his enclosure, hehe!

Had this conversation with Sdaji the other day...nearly all QLD Red Bellies have a brown, cream or red nose but every now and then you get one with a black nose too.
Similar to Sydney, though cream is generally preshed. Brown is the most prevelant.

For godsakes.....this thread is so long I have no idea if I'd already posted this (and I've tried to wade through 30 pages or so to see if I have :lol:) Since we're talking red bellies noses, I thought I'd throw a pic up of one I photographed myself. I have a feeling it is a Vic locale porphyriacus. I think Punjab owns this big fella now, maybe he can elaborate?

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

Hey , is this a myth or some truth about it ..are the southern RBBS shorter and stockier ,then their northern cousins?...have heard it from some "so called experts" but you know in the snake world there is a lot of dribble and wipe ya chin for fear of the flys that are hanging around it ..type of facts ...:)

Hey , is this a myth or some truth about it ..are the southern RBBS shorter and stockier ,then their northern cousins?...have heard it from some "so called experts" but you know in the snake world there is a lot of dribble and wipe ya chin for fear of the flys that are hanging around it ..type of facts ...:)

I have never heard this one before, must be true though if a herper told you.:rolleyes:

I have heard of some pretty big rbbs down this way.

How about some tigers?

Attachments

• DSC_2218.JPG
    DSC_2218.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_2228.JPG
    DSC_2228.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 138
ON Pseudechis porphyriacus....

I have worked with P. p from Gippsland, Barmah area, Bendigo, Nagambie in Vic, ones from Syd, Scone, Tenterfield and Eden in NSW and from Lake Barrine, Airlie Beach, Kroombit tops, Gold Coast area in QLD.

As a general rule most specimens from Victoria are smaller on average in length but tend to be stockier, there snouts (nasal, rostrals and first and second supralabials are black to dark brown, however one specimen had a lighter snout) the specimens from Eden in NSW are also similar. Often the red is not as bright as specimens from further north.

One from around Syd and North to Kroombit Tops are larger than Southern ones often with brown to light brown snouts however the colouration seems to travel further along the head, up to the third supralabial and on to the internasals as well as the nasal, rostral, mental and both first and second supralabials. Usually bright red on sides.

From 4 specimens I have seen from the Northern extent of their range they have had cream to white on the prefrontals, internasals, rostral, supralabials, mental and labial scales, the extent of this makes them look quite distinctive. The white to cream may almost replace the red "belly" along the body, however most don't have the bright red seen in the mid range specimens. They can be quite long however their build is similar to that of the mid range specimens.

I cannot comment of the population from the Adelaide hills, SA as I have not seen a confirmed specimen from that local.

Hope this Helps,
Scott Eipper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back