Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first Aussie Elapid is a fact 8) I have been waiting for some time but now I am totally excited!

1.0 Pseudechis colletti:

IMG_9309.jpg

I also have another new addition. A female Naja siamensis. I allready have an adult male and hope to get them breeding in a year or two!

0.1 Naja siamensis:

IMG_9317.jpg

G'day Stefan,

I absolutely adore Naja siamensis. Here's some photo's of some of the ones I used to work with...

Attachments

• N.siamensis.JPG
    N.siamensis.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 227
  • Naja siamensis hood.JPG
    Naja siamensis hood.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 171
G'day Peter,

Yeah, that's at Venom Supplies. They are actually very easy to work with, much the same as a Kingy or a Red Belly, but even more predictable.

Very impressive Cobra Jonno.

Got any more similar to this you can share?

Just wondering ,although this isnt a picture of an elapid (but I can put one up if need be ;) )
this sort of includes you wether your a catcher or keeper of vens ...New study trials of treating envenomated people ,once a wet bite has been recognised ..the new trial is not only to use anti ven ,but also FF PLASMA ...this helps the blood thicken and replaces platelets that get destroyed ,it has also shown that recovery ,even from one of the worst to be bitten by hence an EB etc ,works well with the ability only to use a small number of anti ven vials (like 1 or 2) sharing that with bags of FFplasma ,the patient can do a full turn around from showing severe envenomation and having no reading on the scale they use to check clotting ability to showing no signs of envennomation within 12 hours of being bitten ...in tow this will not only decrease the cost that is associated with getting the anti ven and usage ,puts a less strain and even chance on getting serum sickness,because of less anti ven needed but it is also branching out into the animal studies so animal plasma will be used ..meaning vet bills for treating snake bites should well in truely go down in price ..
As I said this is still a study trial, but it certainly is a great thing and if your one of those 'guinea pigs' that have been part of the study ,have you had any on going effects ? how did you feel say a week or two after it ? if you want to keep silent well so be it, dont want to put pressure on you ..but I find it facinating and a great study trial ...thanks ;)

some new arrivals.

Attachments

• hatchies 001 (Large).jpg
    hatchies 001 (Large).jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 199
  • hatchies 007 (Large).jpg
    hatchies 007 (Large).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 195
  • hatchies 011 (Large).jpg
    hatchies 011 (Large).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 170
  • hatchies 016 (Large).jpg
    hatchies 016 (Large).jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 175
and some more

Attachments

• hatchies 017 (Large).jpg
    hatchies 017 (Large).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 135
  • hatchies 020 (Large).jpg
    hatchies 020 (Large).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 148
  • hatchies 022 (Large).jpg
    hatchies 022 (Large).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 169
Can't wait to get my first elapid.. still 4 months to go! Those swampies are crackers Jamgo.

How do you go about learning to work with elapids? Are there courses out there that anyone knows about? Do you have to get a certificate of some sort before they will hire you to work with them in zoos and reptile parks?
Also...
Anyone know where the Australia Zoo's new Mr. and Mrs. Brown came from originally?

G'day lizardjasper,

There are a few of ways to become involved in working with elapids, but for most people who don't know somebody who is experienced enough to teach them appropriate techniques, then attending a reputable course is the best way to go.

Most zoo's and wildlife parks have their own requirements with regards to handling elapids - some turn a blind eye and hope for the best with new employees, some have very strict guidelines and others prefer to train their staff "in-house".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back