Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
get some locks marie, thats what im going to do, fort nocks, and lazer guided missiles to deploy if unfamiliar fingerprints are given.

theres alot to be said for herps in the bedroom (not in that way) coz then its harder for nighttime breakins. and theres also alot to be said for a german sheperd with a less than sunny disposition, or even a big dog of any sort that is house trained would be great.

Get a dog, one that likes to bark alot at people. You will find that a good dog is far more a deterant than an alarm system.

I have two a miniature pinscher and a doberman pinscher... i sleep well at night knowing that if anyone comes onto my property inside or out that atleast one of my dogs will wake me.

My dog wouldn't let anyone near my herps or in our yard, hopefully nobody sees andy value in my reptiles and doesn't want to steal them in the first place, afterall they are just lizards and wouldn't sell for much.
But you never know there are a lot of sad people out there these days.

I would love to see someone come into my yard

I have a staffy and a labx and the staffy has been with me for over 10 yrs... i dare someone to mess with his happy home!!!

2 days ago he ripped our gate open and i have seen him eat through doors!!!

our lab is turning into quit the gaurd dog she even tells next doors kids off when they look over fence and she plays with them out side!!!

I welcome all to try and brake in casue when he is finished with you its my turn and im not turning you over to the cops. i will maim anyone that hurts/takes my pets.

they are my kids!!! and the people stealing them have no excuse its pathetic get a job or start your own collection the way everyone else does.

I think this got mentioned on a previous thread. Can snakes be microchipped> That would help get them back perhaps. if the micro chip had to be recorded on the annual reports back to the authorities each year.

JMO
Yes snakes can be microchipped.....all of the "exotics" that come into Tasmania are required by law to be microchipped (unless to small).....we also have a research site in the north of the state where we microchip any snakes caught to keep records of their movements/growth etc. Most vets will do this for you provided the owner holds the animals. We actually do them ourselves, however it can be quite expensive for the applicator,chips and scanner so shop around for the best deal

A big rottie, good locks on doors and windows and a cheap security system or cctv wouldnt cost much at all compared to a few snakes.

My rottie nocks ppl over without even trying to hurt them, i wouldnt want to be someone he didnt like :twisted: Someone isnt going to be able to steal many snakes with a crunched arm and a huge chunk taken out of their *** :lol: He also has an awesome bark that wakes you up everytime and he really goes off if any suspect ppl or foxes are around.

I dont tell anyone i have reptiles either, most ppl tend to notice them the first time the come to my house though :)

I also think someppl are far to trusting of others, i have bought reptiles off ppl who show me their entire colection sometimes worth up to around $100 000, when they have only talked to me for a few minutes. Obviously im a good bloke and it wasnt a problem but not everyone can be trusted so easily IMO.

Personally, I cringe every time my daughter tells someone local she has reptiles- I know the young criminal gentlemen and drug addict women down the road have seen my reptiles on occasion, and it panics me out of my mind. I'm always terrified when I leave the house that someone will take them.
why dont you tell your daughter not to go talking about your reptiles, and i cant understand why you would show them to criminals or drug addicts.

She is told about not telling everyone..but she's 9....

And I didn't show them on purpose- I had a friend over (a trusted friend) and I had my snake out to give her some sun, and I walked from the backyard, through the house, out the front to say goodbye to my friend without thinking....people from up the road walk past, and it wasn't until I actually heard someone say 'snake' that I realised they were there and watching me.

looks like we will have to start getting our herp rooms fitted with servalence cameras and stuff like that
these people are heart less criminals and need to be caught and sent away

a dog hey. wouldnt a lace monitor or a fully growen scrub python have more chance of scaring of some 1? or mayb a croc if you could get your hands on 1.
sorrys about your los and stuff

we also have a survalance system out side, not because i have expensive snakes, just because it makes my parents feel better. that along with the dogs and the alarm system which is so loud and high pitched, also my room is locked anyway, so they have three sets of locks to get through, while the alarm is going off and its all on camera. feel sorry for anyone that has gone through there snakes getting stolen, cause if my spotteds got stolen i would be shatterd, god help them if i cought them in the act, id snap there arms and legs!

I’m actually feeling a bit paranoid keeping my outdoor pics up in the gallery section, I put them up there to give other herpers ideas, but after reading this thread im actually a bit worried that thief’s will sus out my backyard and setup................

quote"I use a DVR system at home, got 4 cameras and motion detection software with remote monitoring via the internet, cost me about $3-400 to setup, no-ones comes to my hous without me knowing now"

Hi betson,
How userfriendly is this system without being a computer wiz? Are you using the system advertised in ebay?

dean, DONT let anyone know where you live eg suburb, on top of that go get some really good locks and lock the enclosure up. on the plus side there lace monitors, and could easily take large chunks from the body and even there hands, lol. put a sign on the front saying 'WARNING WE WILL CAN AND MOST LIKELY WILL EAT YOU' that should detour some potential theifs, its suggestive and true!

dean, DONT let anyone know where you live eg suburb, on top of that go get some really good locks and lock the enclosure up. on the plus side there lace monitors, and could easily take large chunks from the body and even there hands, lol. put a sign on the front saying 'WARNING WE WILL CAN AND MOST LIKELY WILL EAT YOU' that should detour some potential theifs, its suggestive and true!

Yeh but if it’s a guy that knows his reptiles and only steals reptiles, I would say they have handled lacey’s before and would have no problems taking them, that really sucks because I want people to come round and check out my setup but you just cant trust anyone unless you know them, and don’t worry I have locks on my enclosures and a big bull-terrier but I just don’t think that’s enough security. If someone has there mind set on getting them, they will.

Hi Allan,
If you could put a new video or sound card into a PC you'll be OK, even if you've never done it before it's not too hard. It is really just putting the card into a PC, installing the software and then putting the camera's up and plugging them in.

Setting up the network side of thing requires a bit of network knowledge, but generrally step by step instructions are included and a novice would be able to get it done with a bit of nutting out and persistance.

So to set up a DVR that just records from motion detection is very simple, the network side of things may get a bit confusing, but bear in mind my card is about a year old and the software would've been improved.

Mine is reliable and was acheap card.

Good luck,
PM me for any help!

EDIT- And no I'm not using the system I linked

its been said but i still think its a mate

hahahahahaha, nice one Dean, "Bullterrier".... your dogs have to be the strangest Bullterriers Ive ever seen.... would prefer to mess with a Bully, IMO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back