Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the explanation is very simple. Anyone marketing GTP hatchlings for 8K is not going to sell any, every breeder has to follow the market, it's that simple. There was no jump from 8K to 3K the next season, the decline in price was gradual over the last 4 years. Just in case vitticeps is referring to me, I am selling YEARLINGS (sexed, coloured, well-established) for 3K, not hatchlings. The quality and service didn't lower that much, in fact in improved year by year.

Cheers
M

When it comes to Chondros the price has come down in price compared to last year,and the year before..But it has gratually,it hasnt plummeted as suggested..Hatchies were $4500 a couple seasons,ow there around $1800.same applies to Albino Darwins..so buying sexed yealings for $3000 is a great price..I for one want another 2 however ive gotta buy 2 hatchies and hope i get a pair,or pay that little extra to quarantee in gettin a sexed pair..I no which i prefer...Also if Chondros were on a class 1 then alot more would be sold..my 2 cents worth...

It wasn't that long ago when hatchlings were being sold for $10k each. There was no shortage of buyers.
Fortunately Aussie breeders were able to overcome the breeding problems that plagued Aussie GTP's. In such a short space of time too.

It wasn't that long ago when hatchlings were being sold for $10k each. There was no shortage of buyers.
Fortunately Aussie breeders were able to overcome the breeding problems that plagued Aussie GTP's. In such a short space of time too.

Peter, time runs fast, the last hatchlings that went for 10K were sold in 2005, unfortunately, none of mine :D. In 2007 they were 8K then the price went down quickly because of the import and in the last 2 years the prices have been dropping gradually.

I think that one snake is holding price well. Black headed python sells still for reasonable price. Maybe this have something to do with small clutches and pain to start them eat.
But must say they are so attractive to have in collection.

I think that one snake is holding price well. Black headed python sells still for reasonable price. Maybe this have something to do with small clutches and pain to start them eat.
But must say they are so attractive to have in collection.
*20 people start trolling adds for breeding pairs*

*20 people start trolling adds for breeding pairs*

What a breeding pair (native GTPs) be worth today? I mean what would people be prepared to pay for it. I haven't seen any on the market for a long time.

What a breeding pair (native GTPs) be worth today? I mean what would people be prepared to pay for it. I haven't seen any on the market for a long time.

i'll give you $200 for them ;)

EDIT :
i genuinely have no idea, i have seen adults sell within a fortnight for 6000 ... but i dont know if that is cheap or expensive

i'll give you $200 for them ;)

EDIT :
i genuinely have no idea, i have seen adults sell within a fortnight for 6000 ... but i dont know if that is cheap or expensive

Thanks for the generous offer, if I had a pair I would be emailing you my account number now :D.
I am not selling any, I am just interested to know what the masses think.

Michael, I'm sure I saw a breeding pair recently for $12K. Around 2.5 years, I think, but hard to remember, and I'm not certain if they were natives... sorry if that's of no real help!

Yah, I have seen it too but so far, all the so called breeding pairs were "yet to breed". That poses two questions: 1/ why would anyone be selling a pair that will breed soon and 2/ just because it's a male and a female doesn't mean they're going to reproduce and it doesn't mean they going to reproduce next season. I have seen ads posted just before the mating season, a bit unusual I thought. By the way, females breed at 3.5 years (there may be exceptions). Was the 12K pair native?
I am not testing the water, otherwise I would be putting forward question 1. I am just interested what people would be prepared to pay for a proven breeding pair of natives.

Peter, time runs fast, the last hatchlings that went for 10K were sold in 2005, unfortunately, none of mine :D. In 2007 they were 8K then the price went down quickly because of the import and in the last 2 years the prices have been dropping gradually.

Yeah, quite aware of that. Its just that people make comments that seem to deny history. Fact was a lot of people parted with the asking $10k.
I am interested by your "after the import" comment. Are you implying that there was an importation of GTPs.:|

:D Where have you been Peter?
I really don't want to go into that again, last time it came up it let to disagreements, fights and comments from those thriving on assumptions. Someone else can enlighten you on that issue.

I am interested by your "after the import" comment. Are you implying that there was an importation of GTPs.:|

Yes smuggling happens. Thats why we have such things as Sorong locale GTPs and jag carpet pythons, not to mention exotic diseases.
As for prices, purist keepers like myself will still pay top dollar for locale specimens (like native GTPs) rather that cheap as chips priced specimens who have either no background history, or a misleading or mixed bloodline background.

Last edited:
My first experience of buying GTP was at the Dutch Snake Societies meeting in around 1985. A mate bought a single specimen from a guy with a few in a suitcase for 400 quid and then had to bring it back to the UK. Sounds like things have not changed a lot even though I've flipped from one side of the globe to another and added a few pounds and grey hairs in the intervening years.

Yes smuggling happens. Thats why we have such things as Sorong locale GTPs and jag carpet pythons, not to mention exotic diseases.
As for prices, purist keepers like myself will still pay top dollar for locale specimens (like native GTPs) rather that cheap as chips priced specimens who have either no background history, or a misleading or mixed bloodline background.

I assumed from Waterrats comment that there was some hard evidence not the continueing innuendo.

LOL, there is hard evidence mate, most of us here have seen it.

I will be selling breeding pair my self soon. And reason for this is simple. I am having less time lately and there are new pairs of more interesting snakes I have in plane to put together instead. There is no way I can keep it all. maybe this is the reason for some other people to sell breeding pairs. If they are sold with photo documentation (picture of female laying eggs) I think that should be reasonable proof that pair is well established breeding unit.
Yah, I have seen it too but so far, all the so called breeding pairs were "yet to breed". That poses two questions: 1/ why would anyone be selling a pair that will breed soon and 2/ just because it's a male and a female doesn't mean they're going to reproduce and it doesn't mean they going to reproduce next season. I have seen ads posted just before the mating season, a bit unusual I thought. By the way, females breed at 3.5 years (there may be exceptions). Was the 12K pair native?
I am not testing the water, otherwise I would be putting forward question 1. I am just interested what people would be prepared to pay for a proven breeding pair of natives.

LOL, there is hard evidence mate, most of us here have seen it.

Right, "MATE", so you haven't got any either. I have all the stories. I just thought that maybe there was a bit more here than a bunch of interenet blowhards and gossip mongers who like to pretend they have their finger on the pulse.
Keyboard ninjas strike again.

G'day Peter,

There was definitely some mass imports of Green Pythons. I didn't see them land in Australia, but I did help cut skinworms out of one, and had them offered to me in lots of 10 at $15,000 a hit for young adults.

My oppinion of this is, that it is a hobby. Yes it costs time and money to get diffuclt feeders going and time and money to get pairs breeding, as well as all the research beforehand. Having said that, if you love what you do, then the time point is moot and if you dont have enough money to support your hatchies and get them feeding then dont breed.

There are a lot of people referring to the herping "business" which as stated by others would be more profitable in the long run with accessories rather than the livestock. IMO there is nothing wrong with hobbyists selling any snake they want (providing it is within the parameters of the law, obviously) for however high or low they want and the people who consider breeding to be a business can either ignore or respond to the prices set by the hobbyists. Theres nothing wrong with trying to make money out of your hobby, but the point is starting to get lost that this is a hobby that most do for enjoyment and if you do breed, not only do you have the excitement of trying to develop an interesting line and being a part of the breeding process of your favourite animals, you at least cover some of the costs for your hobby, which compared to some other hobbies is a lot cheaper.

As stated previously also, price drops open the door for many future hobbyists who like the look of, lets say, GTP's (as somehow these conversations always seem to have more of a GTP focus) but consider $1000 - 4000 too much of an investment in their first snake. This helps work towards what i consider to be the ultimate goal of preservation, raising awareness and tolerance and working towards the "only good snake is a dead snake" ethos being dispelled.

just an add on.. the expansion of the hobby will obviously increase demand, as we all know its hard to stop at one. and there will always be more expensive breeds/morphs that some of these people will then possibly aspire to. and the cycle continues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back