Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dst1980

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Whats going on with python prices? BHP's $300, Coastals $50, Stripped Coastals $80! Not even 12 months ago these prices were unheard of. Are we really getting to the stage of over breeding, as much as this industry is growing the supply and demand must be getting out of hand. This is great for the buyers, but a nightmare for those who spent there hard earned cash on expensive breeders only to have the prices drop and now worth less than the average power bill. I love the fact thre's so much on the market, but only hope it dosn't get to the stage of dogs and cats where shelters would be needed to look after the unsaleable and unwanted of spring. Do we all need to take a few steps back?

Comes down to two simple words ..... Supply & Demand.

Do we all need to take a few steps back?

yes we do!

problem is it seems nobody these days wants to fork out any money for anything and everyone wants to breed everything they have too sell!

Nothing new! I have friends who breed Australian parrots. This started happening to them more than 25 years ago. It appears to have stabilised to the point where, unless you're breeding highly desirable species, mutations or talking pets, you're doing it mostly for love and beer money.

Lots coming from the wild legally and illegally and allot getting bred of various species.
Its a dead giveaway when you see WA WA WA WA WA Mayday Mayday Mayday
.......................................................................................................................

At the last Newcastle Expo we must of had over a thousand beardie hachies for sale at the different stalls.

Herps are the in thing.

i think that some breeders are going to be verry disapointed with prices, as the market is flooded.

I dont know about anyone else, but I just want to keep and breed some awesome reptiles! Why is money such a factor? I'm sooo bored of people whinging about this topic.... do your home work before you decide to invest in anything people!

I may have said this before - some of us are good breeders but boy, very few have any business sense. Ohhh, sorry, I forgot, this a hobby isn't it?

It's got me concerned because when i bought my diamond in 2003 she was $300. Adult diamonds were going for around $700.

I'm trying to sell my adult diamond with a full set up enclosure and i can't get a bite on the $1000 price tag.

what's normal price for a 7 year old Diamond these days?

Investing in livestock = LOL
Prices off the net are still NORMAL... well they are around here.

Oh and I will take any unwanted BHps/ GTPs or Albinos :)

If you want to make money you'd better have something very unusual/desirable to breed, and be the first to have it.

I think its great, if you want to make money breed what is in demand rather than just farming common stuff that doesnt have sustainable demand. You shouldnt buy reptiles and expect they will keep high profit margins, although some reptiles will hold there value well most that are easy to breed wont remain profitable forever.

Half of the problem is that many expect to make money and use this as justifaction for paying the large prices. Im not saying that there is anything wrong with critters being expensive due to high demand but its works both ways and chucking a tantrum wont help (not refering to anyone in particular). IMO you will be able to get lots of adult pythons free once they dont earn their keep so to speak.

IMO it wouldnt be hard to make money at $50 for most species, provided you dont include your time as a cost.

I dont know about anyone else, but I just want to keep and breed some awesome reptiles! Why is money such a factor? I'm sooo bored of people whinging about this topic.... do your home work before you decide to invest in anything people!
well said mate its the challenge of discovering new traits and seeing what patterns uyou can produce.

The loss of profit is not what Im concerned about it's the flood of reptiles and no where for them to go. Im all for cheap prices but when the time comes when ya can't give them away, what then? Stop breeding, won't happen.

The loss of profit is not what Im concerned about it's the flood of reptiles and no where for them to go. Im all for cheap prices but when the time comes when ya can't give them away, what then? Stop breeding, won't happen.

Dont incubate the eggs or lobby to allow them to be used as food (not that there would be any evidence unless you take pics).

loss of profit... can't give them away? Sounds like an issue with money...

well said mate its the challenge of discovering new traits and seeing what patterns uyou can produce.
exactly i dont breed but if i did it might be a bonus to get money but just to see the eggs the snakes their patters it would be a great experience

I personally think we need a system in place like registered cat & dog breeders where you have to have a license to breed & this license needs to be expensive enough that the average keeper won't bother. Too many people are able to breed which floods the market, the only way to prevent the inevitable reptiles in pounds scenario is to regulate who can & can't breed.

That's life I think just open a newspaper and look at the price wars goin on with supermarkets mainly, liquor shops and even tv's and all appliances it's out of control everywhere in all aspects brother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back