Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to confuse the issue further, Most jungles that have been referred to as Tully jungles are actually reptiles that were caught (or captive decendants ) from a road called Jarra Greek Road which is about 56km long and starts from the town of Tully its self and ends at Tully gorge power station. The populations found close to the Town ship are more closer looking to specimens found from the Mission beach area and usually have more defined banding and are often brighter yellow than those that are found at the gorge end.

"Confusion is growth!" - wise saying.

That's very interesting Dave.
This sure is a fascinating account of the complex history of Jungles.

I've not been able to understand what's going on with Jungles till now.
There's been alot of confusion down south regarding them.
To the point where all the misinformation has prevented me in the past from getting into them. Some collector mates of mine have said the same thing. We've been wary of spending hard earned money on what's perceived to have become a Jungle soup!

That's where locality integrity is essential for retaining some semblance in the choas that's in danger of ruining the Jungle Python complex.

Experienced herpers such as yourself & TrueBlue (poignant name BTW) among others, are fundamental in preserving the purity of locality true types. Without which we'd surely be lost.

P.S - Olivehydra, I'm not saying we can't breed for colour or pattern etc. but let's not do it at the expense of our local varieties, which have more value than just looking good.

zen

great read, some interesting stuff on jungles there

true blue, i would love to see some pictures of the different locality, i have been dying to see the difference in the localities, especially tullys and parmerstons so pics would be greatly appreciated.
tullys, parmerstons and mission beach jungles

It seems that all we were waiting for a thread like that! So from a certain point of view size, habits and other features could be influenced by the landscapes where the differet "types" live: bigger ones (Athertons), more terrestrial, dull coloration, not so wet jungle dwellers VERSUS smaller ones (Tully, Innisfail, Mission Beach), arboreal, more yellow&black patterned, really jungle dwellers...

Cheers

Stefano

I think this is what you are thinking of, aka Cape Tribulation or Black & White Jungles. Note the silver eyes - a trait imo.
Cheers
Ad

Julaten and Tribulation Cape are not famous populations of some striking B&W specimens?
Do Kuranda belong to the Athertons types?
Sorry, not answers...just other Q's...
Cheers

Stefano

That is a top shot Ad. I like the mimicry in the way the head is patterned and the way the animal is curling its tail.

Hey JM, I only took the pic, unfortunately she is not mine, she belongs to a mate.
I gather you like her? lol The queue is back there!!! lol
Cheers
Ad

I think it is very important to breed reptiles from the same locality although do we really know these days, so many have been crossbred already just becauseman an animal is advertised as comeing from tully or what ever surly 3to5 generations ago someone bred it for colour. half of the so called jungles out there should be advertised as carpets ''variegata'' .I think there are to many snakes being bred just for the money that shouldnt be bred just because of what it sais on the paperwork
espesially with the carpets.

Its difficult to argue the purity of any species completely. For another bit, The antaresia sub species only came into existence about two decades ago(correct me if otherwise). Thus any antaresia from a captive population that stems back past bout 1985 can't have total assurance that it is a pure sub species (maccie etc). They would be set into the sub species categories by appearance.

Some people are not very honest either, they can sell an animal as it looks or by what someone wants (yes its a iron range green diamond python, very rare :? ). I think look for healthy animals that appeal to you, If you want to breed for a trait that you find appealing that is your call as the owner/breeder. People can offer opinions and thoughts but they are your animals at the end of the day.

There are people who are interested in 'morphs' and 'hybrids', these people will be interested in your animals. Those who don't like them won't buy them and they will keep the 'true locality' bloodlines alive as well.

My big rant is over and I feel better...... :D

Awesome pic Ad! Do they hold that colour the whole way through life, or can they get yearling colour changes?

great jungle, i have only ever seen one pic of a black and white, looked just like that and i fell in love with it definatly on my get list. love it

also that link isnt working for me the true blue one?

I'm not convinced that 'Julatten' and 'Cape Tribulation' animals aren't seperate races. I believe this comes down to the divide betwwen highland and lowland animals. Ad, my memory's a bit fuzzy, but isn't that a pic of a Julatten juvenile, rather than a Cape Trib juvenile (I honestly can't remember)? By the way, I prefer the name "Daintree" rather than "Cape Tribulation" for these particular carpets, as they seem to be spread throughout the Daintree World Heritage Area. You can see some more examples here http://www.users.on.net/~jbonnett/b&wcarpets.htm

Matt

Valid points Matt, Julatten would be considered highland - its only a small one horse town. The mountain ranges behind it would be very interesting not just for herping but I believe they have lots of interesting animals and fish up there. Extremely dense rainforset though.
I mentioned them under the one name because they are all referred to as those names at the moment regardless - I have always known them as Cape Trib jungles but Ive even heard it mentioned that cape trib doesnt even have any - the area was given to deter wild collectors.
Matt. have you noticed any difference between proven locale animals to distinguish hi/lo land animals - I know the silver eyes seems predominate in all I have seen, but I havent seen enough to detirmine any other features.
I am by no means an expert on these animals - I would certainly like to know more about them.
Cheers
Ad

Generally speaking the carpets that I have seen from the north west corner of the Daintree rain forest show colouration similar to Darwins. Definately not black and white like that pic. Julatten has been famous for black and whites for many years and I think they have been found in parts of Port Douglas.
Cheers Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back