Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the vet said to me you are great for business cause you bring your dogs in even when there is nothing wrong...lol

fair enuf but what i found with these dogs was that there WAS something wrong...but it only seemed to happen to the dogs that got babied to buggery...other people with the same breed dog wouldnt have the same problems! treat em like a man and they'll be tough like a man lol. i have no idea why...maybe it could have something to do with how protected/sheltered they are as young? coming across diff bugs and viruses etc while young builds up a sort of immunity doesnt it? im talking dogs and humans here i know but maybe the same theory could be applied to snakes?

it probably sounds really dumb but why again do US breeders/hobbyists seem to not have anywhere near the calibre of problems that we have???

bigguy said:
Obee,

Remember also, there is little DNA difference between Carpet Python types, but if I cross a Darwin with a Inland it is now a hydrid and would not be called either of these species by any reputable breeders. How then can Obee still claim that his are Australian, when he admits a PNG type is in the breeding and Aussie Greens are now a seperate sub species.

Bob

Well with all my respect to obee that is something to thing about.
Is one of my snakes which was cross breed (diamond x coastal carpet) diamond python?
Looks like it is if I look at the situation as obee. I will be happier to sell him as diamond, or call the snake diamond phyton.
When I think about it and compare my situation with Obee's situation, I do understand him.
It is only natural that he have his opinion set his way.
I would like to say here that I do not have in any waay anything against obee. I think that he must be extremelly experienced herper, and I am not enywhere close to him regarding my experiance in herpetology field. My opinion on this subject was formed by this thread.

bigguy said:
The only flaw in my thread is that I used the term breeder when comparing myself with Bob Buckley. I should have used 20 years experience, as I used in all my other threads. One slipup only by myself does not change the facts I stated.

YOU SAID IY A COUPLE OF TIMES BOB VERY MISLEADING,SO NOW IT HAS BECOME A SLIPUP,I NEW YOU DIDN'T HAVE THE BREEDING EXPERIENCE.I NEVER SAID PURE AUSSIE BUT YOU KEPT SAYING I DID.
THEIR WAS MORE THAN ONE SLIPUP.HOW COME YOU DIDN'T KNOW OZ GTP'S COULD HAVE BLUE?
YOU TOLD ME TO REFER TO BARKER,I DID AND THAT CONTRADICTED EVERYTHING YOU SAID THERE IS EVEN A PIC OF A GREEN WITH A BLUE LATERAL LINE THROUGH THE EYE.
I STILL DON'T CONSIDER KEEPING 1 OLD ANIMAL FOR 15 YEARS AS ANY GREAT EXPERIENCE BOB.
bigguy said:
Now back to your aguement. Just because DNA can not seperate the 2 Greens, does not mean PNG's are Aussie Greens. Now to put a real wedge in your aguement, the Australian Green Python has now been described as a seperate sub species from its PNG cousins.
WHO DESCRIBED IT?THIS IS YOUR HERESAY BOB.SO THIS PERSON CAN NOW SPLIT THEM BY DNA?IF HE CAN'T THEY ARE STILL THE SAME.NOT MUCH OF A WEDGE MATE.IF THEY CAN'T BE SEPERATED THEN THEY ARE STILL 1 RACE.
bigguy said:
The description states that this new sub species is only found in Australia, and quite clearly states does not include any Greens from PNG. The author of this decription stated also, that he delayed publishing till the Buckley case was over, as it may have been used against him.
THAT WAS NICE OF HIM,HE NEEDN'T WORRY DNA TEST TO DATE PROVED HIS THEORY NULL AND VOID.THAT CASE WAS OVER AGES AGO.
DIDN'T HOSER GIVE NEW LATIN NAMES TO OZ PYTHON TAXA.NOBODY TOOK THEM ON SO THEY NOW MEAN DIDDLY SQUAT.
bigguy said:
Now people with PNG type greens can no longer say there is no difference between Aussie and PNG types and hide behind the fact DNA shows little difference. Unless both parents are Australian, how could they possably be "deemed Australian" now that they are descibed as different.
DEEMED IS A LEGAL TERM AS FAR AS I KNOW,SO THAT IS THE RIGHT WAY TO DESCRIBE THEM.
bigguy said:
As for Gregs comments. They were not given in reply to a one sided arguement. Heres another email I have just rec'd from Greg stating he will be discussing the differences between the 2 types when he finally does a revision of his Chondro book.
BOB WITHOUT YOUR E-MAILS, THAT TO IS ONLY HERESAY.YOU CAN TELL FROM THE TONE OF HIS E-MAIL YOU PAINTED A PICTURE FOR HIM[YOUR SIDE]AND THERE IS LITTLE SCIENCE BEHIND HIS CLASSIFCATION,HE SAID HIS BOOK WAS NOT TO BE USED AS THE BE ALL END ALL.
I WON'T TO KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW BOB I HAVE READ MAXWELLS BOOK. AREN'T YOU SUPPOSED TO BE THE EXPERT WHY QUOTE OTHER PPL ALL THE TIME.BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW OZ'S COULD HAVE BLUE.
bigguy said:
Read them all and make up your own as to wether his could be called Australian, PNG's or Hybrids between the 2 races.. How then can Obee still claim that his are Australian, when he admits a PNG type is in the breeding and Aussie Greens are now a seperate sub species
AT LEAST NOW YOU HAVE CHANGED YOUR MIND AGAIN AND ADMITTED TO THE OZ SIDE OF THE LINE .BECAUSE YOU CHANGED YOUR MIND 3 TIMES ABOUT WHETHER BUCKLEY GOT 2 OR 1 STH PNG ANIMALS. WE BELIEVE IT WAS ONE AND EVERYTHING ELSE WAS OZ.SO IT WOULD BE MORE OZ THAN STH PNG AS THAT INFLEUENCE ON THE WHOLE LINE WAS 1 GTP.HENCE DEEMED OZ AND LEGALLY LISTED AS SUCH,SEEMS THEY ARE MORE OZ THAN STH PNG.THEY ARE OF STH PNG EXTRACTION.
I AM OF ABORIGINAL EXTRACTION.EXTRACTION BEING THE KEY WORD AN ABORIGINAL GREAT GRANDFATHER DOES NOT MAKE ME ABORIGINAL.I AM LIGHT SKINNED AND OF MOSTLY IRISH HERITAGE.ASK ME WHAT I AM AND I GUESS I AM IRISH.

obee

Obee,

So you aguement is that all Carpet Python subspecies and all Childrens subspecies are also invalid as their DNA is also similar, just like the Greens.

That will shock the rest of the herp world who recognise these sub species.

I'd like to hear about wild ones found in Oz with blue laterals on the head like on yours obee.

A friend of mine has seen greens right on the beach in sclerephryl (spelling?)forest .

browns if you want to see a pure oz green bred from iron range collected parents[with a blue lateral line through the eye] look at the last foto of greens in barkers book.bob asked me to refer to barkers. then everyone read barkers oz gtp description.he[barker] flips from oz and sth png in the description the whole way through,description on looks might i add not dna.
bob i would say a stimpson from the pilbarra and one from mt carbine[nth qld] although classed as the same subspecies would be most definately different in there dna.we are talking about opposite ends of the country.thousands of miles apart.we are not talking anywhere near the distance with gtp's and as david williams pointed out oz gtp's came from sth png by way of landbridge not to long ago,not long enough that dna can say they are different.
as far as referring to raymond hosers redescribing our pythons,suggests you are digging for anything now bob.using hosers account of species names is like me saying by 5.00pm this afternoon i declare all jungles as morelia spilota obeei and you all should change your record books accordingly.i'm just going to call npws to let them know...lol....see how ridiculous that arguement is.the governing bodies don't recognize hoser,you must be the only other person in the country who does bob.so that arguement is out the door.

obee

obee

Obee,
Why are you spending so much time trying to convince us your gtps are from Iron Range when you have admitted that they had a 'suspect' grandparent, which you now dont even call 'suspect' it is now a definite png as stated by you.
I bet all this wasnt said in the court case that deemed them.
Regards
Ad

G'day all,

I have to say that since I know both Shane and Bob that I have no desire to be dragging into the middle of their current s@*tfight.

That being said, I nearly choked on my coffee this morning when I read Bob's post about Ray Hoser's incredibly lame attempt last year to steal the thunder from Rawlings and Donnellan (2003) by presuming to guess at their results, and jump in first with a "name" for the the Australian Morelia viridis ...

That's right, just like he has done previously with Ulrich Kuch's Pseudechis work, Ken Aplin's Acanthophis etc, Hoser thought he'd beat legitimate scientists to the punch by erecting a name for the Australian chondros - having assumed that Rawlings and Donnellan would do exactly that themselves. Hoser's motive's: simply to force the real scientists to have to adopt his name under current rules of nomenclatural priority laid down by the ICZN.

For the benefit of people here, the following is the "diagnosis" of the Australian Morelia viridis population provided by Hoser (2003) in "Five new Australian pythons" Newsletter of the Macarthur Herpetological Society Issue 40, August 2003:4-9:

DIAGNOSIS

Chondropython viridis shireenae sp. nov. are the only Green Pythons (C. viridis) found on mainland Australia and can be separated from all other C. viridis on this basis.

In the absence of good locality data, the subspecies is best separated from other C. viridis by comparative DNA analysis, which has already been successfully used to separate this subspecies.

Australian C. viridis have as adults, white or other markings along the vertebra and few other markings, whereas those from elsewhere do not always have this trait. Hence this is a diagnostic character for Australian specimens of C. viridis.

As a trend, vertebral markings decline with age. General dorsal markings, sometimes in the form of blotches and mid-dorsal markings are generally far more common in juvenile C. viridis of all subspecies, especially those from outside Australia.

The range of C. viridis shireenae subsp. nov. is only in very wet habitats of the lowlands and nearby range areas on the east side of Cape York from about the MacMillan River drainage in the north to the area around the Normanby River drainage in the south. This includes the Sir William Thompson and McIlwraith Ranges both in the general vicinity of the Iron Range National Park.

Essentially all Hoser is saying is that "they live in Australia, therefore they are different" - a claim that has absolutely no scientific basis, but which is a fairly typical ploy used by Hoser in many of his so-called "scientific papers".

Vague comments about Australian snakes having white vertebral markings and that this is a valid diagnostic criteron since
those from elsewhere do not always have this trait
are absolute rubbish. A characteristic that is proposed as a means of differentiating closely related species MUST be uniform and distinctive - white vertebral markings - by Hoser's own admission are clearly not.

Later Hoser says
Comparative DNA testing can separate Australian C. viridis shireenae from other C. viridis.

Given that his paper contains absolutely NO DNA DATA whatsoever, and given that he has NO SCIENTIFIC QUALIFICATIONS in molecular biology, zoology or anything else that might enable him to carry out any form of DNA studies whatsoever - not that he makes any claim to having done so ... this sort of red herring statement is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to bluff his readers into thinking he has carried out DNA analyses of some sort.

The DNA evidence that does count is that provided by Rawlings & Donnellan (2003). Their study was carried out according to accepted standard of scientific practice, and the results were subjected to peer review (scrutiny from suitably qualified scientists working in the same disciplines) prior to being published in an internationally recognised scientific journal - not (and my apologies to McArthur Herp Society Members) some backyard newsletter cobbled together for the benefit of a small group of reptile enthusiasts.

Getting back to me nearly choking on my coffee ... the reason I did so is because this is the first time that I have ever seen Bob try to use Hoser's material to win an argument.

Bob - what the hell has come over you mate :?:

You are renowned for being a herpetoculturalist who sees through Ray's bullshit - and you are respected for that. Don't turn to the darkside now mate. :wink:

To both of you (Shane and Bob) I have to say that this little bunfight, while entertaining is very unnecessary. Green pythons arn't anything special - I chuck them off the roads in PNG all the time. I mean let's get real guys - yes they are colourful little beasties, and down here the errr... suckers ... ooops sorry I mean keepers do seem willing to part with huge slabs of cash to own one ... but let's look at this realistically from a prospective pet owners perspective:

1. They ARE LOUSY PETS - folks these things are nasty!!! :shock: They'll tear your face off as soon as look at you ... they are intractably defensive and cannot be handled ... freehandling taipans is safer!

2. See (1) above.

Personally I've never paid more than K10 (A$4.00) for one ... and only then simply to save it from a cooking pot and release the poor bugger back into the scrub ... the only ones I bother to keep are injured animals (sadly quite a few) in need of TLC ... and even they are ungrateful psychotic maniacs :shock:

The more experienced people on these forums have a responsibility to TRY and present a responsible, courteous common face to new and upcoming keepers. That means me, Bob, Shane and quite a few others. Guys we don't always achieve that goal, but let's at least make an effort eh? :wink:

People here don't need to see squabbling, they need to see constructive posts that give them the knowledge needed to keep their animals under the best possible conditions and in the best possible health.

Cheers

Dave

People here don't need to see squabbling, they need to see constructive posts that give them the knowledge needed to keep their animals under the best possible conditions and in the best possible health.
although it has been an enjoyable thread to read i agree with Dave
This could go on forever !

And looks like will go for ever dobermanmick.
It is interesting to read all this posts. Different people, different wiew point.
I was surprice to hear from David that freehandling taipans is safer then to handle GTP.
We little people who have no chance to experiance any contact with chondros, can just read all of this and gain some knowledge from the experts.

I was surprice to hear from David that freehandling taipans is safer then to handle GTP
Yes Slatey
If i cant freehandle one easily i dont know if i would bother having one
I love them but i also know i want to be able to handle my pythons easily so i might have to find out a bit more about that anyway it will be quite a few years before i could have them

people always have differing opinions on their temperaments...i have had people tell me they've handled them with no aggression at all...then the opposite as well. i luv them to death but dont know if i would really want one if i couldnt cuddle it. ah bugger that...i'll take 3 please :lol:

David,

I agree in all your comments regarding Raymonds descriptions, both past and present. But as you said the other night at the Sofar meeting, even though he has no valid scientific evidence to back most of his descriptions, his names are valid till someone prooves otherwise.

I did not know that Donnellan was preparing a paper on this subject, but I did know Richard Wells was in the process of describing the Australian Greens, and he was not happy when Raymond said he was about to publish his own paper on this species. Trouble was according to Richard, was that Raymond didnt publish anything for nearly the next 2 years after he advised Richard.

So untill someone either validates or disproves Raymonds descriptions , as you said yourself his descriptions stand as badly prepared as they are. Most of Raymonds descriptions are slowly being accepted, like it or not.

I personally fell that Richards paper would have been presented in a more scientific manner, but alas Raymond beat him too it as weak as it was. There's really nothing anyone can do at this point in time accept to acknowledge it has been descibed till proven otherwise.

Bob

Hi all,

I just received a PM from one of the moderators who has suggested to me no matter what facts I present, Obee will never be convinced and that the best option is to end this thread which could go on forever.

I have presented my facts re my opinions, Obee has presented his. Its now up to the general community to make their own judgement, based on the arguements presented by both sides.

From the viewing counter, it appears to have been a most popular thread with over 6000 hits. Anyway, this is all I have to say on the matter and hope to see you on another thread some time.

BigGuy

Bob,

Apart from the glaringly obvious fact that Hoser failed to provide a description for his supposed subspecies that complies with Article 13.1 of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature and that consequently Hoser's Chondropython viridis shireenae is a nomen nudem (an invalidly constituted taxa) in the first place; my whole point is that the work done by Rawlings & Donnellan (2003) entirely disproves any claim by Hoser or anyone else that Australian Morelia viridis are a different species... :!:

They soundly demonstrate that on the basis of mtDNA sequence alignments for two different genes the southern PNG and Australian specimens are indistinguishable, and on this basis are one and the same species. Northern PNG snakes are another thing altogether ...

Read the paper... the link is in one of my posts above.

Cheers

Dave

David Wrote:
The more experienced people on these forums have a responsibility to TRY and present a responsible, courteous common face to new and upcoming keepers. That means me, Bob, Shane and quite a few others. Guys we don't always achieve that goal, but let's at least make an effort eh?

Modesty is a virtue :)

bigguy said:
I have presented my facts re my opinions, Obee has presented his. Its now up to the general community to make their own judgement, based on the arguements presented by both sides.

BigGuy
I totaly agree

bigguy said:
Hi all, I just received a PM from one of the moderators who has suggested to me no matter what facts I present, Obee will never be convinced and that the best option is to end this thread which could go on forever.

Good to see the Moderators staying neutral.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back