Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the venomous snake enclosures weren't up to scratch for me, no water bowls, not much substrate. The smaller babies looked a little frightened but the older pythons and lizards looked pretty good. Loved the big olive python and the big dog tame lacy. The paradox carpet that was there was absolutely mind-blowing. I would've bought them all and buy them all appropriately sized tanks. Shame money doesn't grow on trees.:). It was a very awesome day!!

Buy them appropriately sized tanks LOL. You do know that they didn't come in their home enclosures right? A snake will be fine for one day in winter without water :p

I got there Saturday morning and walked through the doors at 9:55 and had done a lap, top and bottom, in 20 mins. Pretty disappointed. I've been trying to think of it for 2 days and i just remembered - it was the pet and animal expo at the RNA showgrounds a few years ago that had a much better quality of displays and animals, who remembers the beautiful Albino olive that was there? the lack of shops that in particular is supposed the the best reptile shop in bris in gravat.. was embarrassing. The "fighting" between shops as suggested is just laziness, sell at what you want to and see how you go selling things and adjust.
People will whinge at that but, you do understand the concept of expo don't you??? I hope the Ipswich show is better. No interest from herp trader, southernxreps, snakeranch, ect ect, to name but a few - not to even have a rep at a single stall, was a joke. Is it only local people that this thing is for? What about Ipswich then?
Haveing said that, the people that made the effort to put up a display it was appreciated. A larger range and variety of snakes and reptiles would've been nicer. I think there was collets, white spot?, 3 types of adders, king brown and maybe 1 or 2 others and they were at the one display. I personally know of 3 other people that keep elapids, but nothing from them which is disappointing because they have some awesome stuff. If an EXPO can't get people like that to show and display, there's something wrong.
Personally elapids,lizards and gheckos do nothing for me as you'll see in my photos ( check the paradox pic ) are python heavy.
The staff at the pet crazy part upstairs were really helpful and I got a good deal on a few things. thankyou.
So then sat I talked to a few people and listened in on conversations and took more and better pics and before I knew it, it was 4:10 and time to go. That black ven snake in the middle (?whitespotted?) Only moved and flared like a cobra when the Albino adders were added. In the promise of a gtp being there Sunday, I went back sun but didn't get there till midday ish. there seemed to be a big crowd there which was good to see, but started to die off around 3pm, but with dark clouds looming out westwards I'm not surprised, but nothing came of it. And I left there at 4:40, so I guess it can't of been too bad. Just needed more
Thankyou to all the people that displayed at the EXPO and at least took the time and effort, muchly appreciated.

Albinowoma I think that was a good post, you were disappointed by some of the expo but you didn't completely bag out the whole deal. That is the sort of constructive criticism that shows thought instead of a rant. Nobody is perfect and of course the expo could be improved on, as can anything and everything (a wheel has always been round but check out a bicycle wheel from 40 years ago compared to today - still rolls and gets from a to b but a huge improvement in speed, weight, aerodynamics etc etc). If everyone that felt disappointment in some way could be more rounded in their views then the organisers would have a better chance of improving on the foundation they have built for all to enjoy!

the venomous snake enclosures weren't up to scratch for me, no water bowls, not much substrate. The smaller babies looked a little frightened but the older pythons and lizards looked pretty good. Loved the big olive python and the big dog tame lacy. The paradox carpet that was there was absolutely mind-blowing. I would've bought them all and buy them all appropriately sized tanks. Shame money doesn't grow on trees.:). It was a very awesome day!!

Its an EXPO!

Saturday was an amazing day and I thoroughly enjoyed it, It was the first expo I went to so I'm sorry if I made anyone mad about what I said earlier I just didn't know how the reps would fare with all the people.

Saturday was an amazing day and I thoroughly enjoyed it, It was the first expo I went to so I'm sorry if I made anyone mad about what I said earlier I just didn't know how the reps would fare with all the people.

My first expo as well! It seems people went their with too high of standards lol

The comments on this thread are all similar to most previous Expo threads , You can't please everyone . My father in-law for the last 7or8 years has been the chief organiser for the cymbidium orchard show in Sydney - this year he is not - for many reasons - but he has spent about 1/2 of his year so far on the phone answering questions to the people who have never wanted to do it but always criticized !!! . This show is held at the far north west of Sydney and they live in far south east , each year he has spent a week or so staying at a motel near by to the show for the set up and its duration and people who live closer whinge about the money he is receiving ---but will not get off their backsides to help . Unfortunately my professions expos ( cooking/food/wine ) have become circus like due to all of the ------------ --- - that think they can watch a tv show and become "chefs " and my favourite recreation just doesn't do expos :lol:

So all of the whingers should man or woman UP and get on the organising committee's for next years EXPOS

( imho) :rolleyes:

My husband and I went yesterday and we enjoyed ourselves. Maybe the breeders and owners that invest a lot of time and money into there animals are merely protecting them by not bringing them to such an even, as there are people out there with bad intentions which is very sad. Thank you to all those people who bought their animals to the show.

Any opportunity to be around these different types of reptiles (and we appreciate them all,) personally we are snake keepers, is much appreciated. The more exposure we have and opportunities to share experiences gives our reptiles and our hobby a better chance of being appreciated. Hopefully the new experience of being exposed, for some people has changed their minds about needing to kill these beautiful animals without consideration. That outcome alone makes everything worthwhile.

Once again thanks to the organisers, presenters, volunteers and public for attending. GOOD JOB GUYS.

One thing that I did see a lot of which would put me off taking my reptiles was tapping and banging on the enclosures but this was not only done by kids I saw adults doing it as well.

One thing that I did see a lot of which would put me off taking my reptiles was tapping and banging on the enclosures but this was not only done by kids I saw adults doing it as well.

I find tapping on the offending parties foreheads tends to highlight how annoying this practise is to said offending party:facepalm:

Everyone needs to pull there heads in realise what effort goes into this expo the time and money .. Love to see anyone pull 50k up front and do this . Yeah that's right you won't risk losing half your money to do this while you sit behind your key board winging about how bad it was or is

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone needs to pull there heads in realise what effort goes into this expo the time and money .. Love to see anyone pull 50k up front and do this . Yeah that's right you won't risk losing half your money to do this while you sit behind your key board winging about how bad it was or is
I think most people on here have been pretty appreciative of the expo but constructive criticism is pretty valuable for building the expo bigger and better. Yes there have been a couple that have just knocked the event but you will get a small number of people like that with whatever is done. I am also sure that there would be a lot of people like myself that would happily help out with the event if given the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed and your right it isn't just small children that do it. Maybe this could be addressed by providing an exclusion zone around the displays as obviously signage isn't the answer because I did see requests for this. Perhaps even a flyer handed out at the door with a short info and request to restrain themselves and also restrain children.In some part it might reduce some of the harasement of animals, as some of these animals obviously get stressed which can present ongoing issues for keepers.
Just my thoughts it may not be practicle in application.

Some more pics, my boys and I enjoyed it, looking forward to the reptile festival in November, and a GTP did turn up lol :)These are all off a phone, so not fantastic, sad thing is, I have a really decent Nikon, charged batteries, ready to go, and forgot it in my rush to get going haha :/DSC_0238.jpgDSC_0247.jpgDSC_0250.jpgDSC_0269.jpgDSC_0270.jpgDSC_0275.jpgDSC_0276.jpgDSC_0291.jpgDSC_0298.jpgDSC_0301.jpgDSC_0299.jpgDSC_0305.jpgDSC_0315.jpgDSC_0307.jpgDSC_0316.jpgDSC_0319.jpgDSC_0324.jpgDSC_0359.jpg

I would speculate that the time of year that it is on is a cheaper rate for the hire of the venue as it is possibly an off-peak time. Cheaper costs allow for cheaper fees for exhibitors and a cheaper entry fee. While warmer months would be better, at the cost of paying more, it perhaps is a happy balance for all involved.

It's a good mid-year thing on our calendar :)

Agreed and your right it isn't just small children that do it. Maybe this could be addressed by providing an exclusion zone around the displays as obviously signage isn't the answer because I did see requests for this. Perhaps even a flyer handed out at the door with a short info and request to restrain themselves and also restrain children.In some part it might reduce some of the harasement of animals, as some of these animals obviously get stressed which can present ongoing issues for keepers.
Just my thoughts it may not be practicle in application.

Just thought, what it be like if the enclosures were fitted with a device that sensed vibration (from tapping) and a beep/alarm sounds alerting the owners and basically makes people around the offending party feel shame and makes an example for others thinking of doing the same :)

Just thought, what it be like if the enclosures were fitted with a device that sensed vibration (from tapping) and a beep/alarm sounds alerting the owners and basically makes people around the offending party feel shame and makes an example for others thinking of doing the same :)

Change to beep to a quick spray of coloured food dye to the face/shirt, would help booth owners aware of people that should be observing with their eyes and not their fingers.

Would really love for an expo to be setup in Adelaide. The trouble is finding people willing to volunteer a few hundred hours of their time on top of their normal life commitments to see it from planning to the day, there really is a lot more to setting up these events then some people seem to be aware of. Im sure its not easy of the people with booths to get from across state/interstate with all their merchandise or reptiles either.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back